AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been recently hearing an annoying crackling from my center speaker, I have Polk 5.1, i think its the 600 something series, about 3.5 years old. I switched the center with one of the fronts, and still heard the crackling, so I dont think its the speaker itself. It even occurs when I have mute on, so I dont think its the sound coming from the box. I'm hoping its just the cable, and I dont have to replace the receiver itself, HK 520. Anyone experience a similar problem and what was the fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Try swapping the speaker cable as well, in order to isolate the issue, step by step.

It could be a "bad contact" at the speaker wire connector in the receiver.

One cheap' good suggestion is to buy a small spray lubricant (used to clean circuit boards, connections, etc.), sold at Radio Shack.

Good luck & kep us posted.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You might also check the ends of your speaker wire. If using a bare wire connection, has it oxidized and turned green? If so, you should cut that off back to clean copper (and consider using a connector of some type). If using a pin, banana or spade connector, double check to be sure that they are still connected snug and tight.

Also double check to be sure that no stray wires from anywhere else are touching the center channel speaker terminals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have the pin connectors, I think its the Monster center channel wire. Its been so long since i bought my stuff that I cant remember all the details. I figured I would go up the chain, replace the wire since thats the cheapest. Hoping I dont need a new receiver.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
StevieJ

Hello

But what about the centre channel does it still produce the so called cracking sound that would only happen on low bass sounds!

If it's still there switch the centre loudspeaker cable over to one of other three-screen channels, just to make sure it's not the amplification that is having the difficulties for the centre channel output.

If all is good, and centre channel is still making a crackling sound, opening the loudspeaker up! Check the connections just to make sure they haven't come dislodged over the years. If they are secure it would most likely be the low frequency bass driver on the centre channel that has given up, or the passive x-over, but I doubt that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.