AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did you get that or are you looking at getting it? You know, since we're in a DIY forum... might as well post the DIY CNC projects . I've been thinking once I get my own house 5 or 10 years down the road I'll build one of my own

Also, do you think that the software for that CNC is compatible with AutoCAD or Solid Works?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I got the same itch when I saw it on TV over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
$1800 can buy you some really good tools that are more useful for DIY speaker projects.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
But not the skill to use them well. For some of us, money just doesn't help.

That's a cool machine, but IF I could justify buying such a thing (which I can't, considering low rarely I actually need one), I'd want one that could handle wider material.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr /forum/post/0

$1800 can buy you some really good tools that are more useful for DIY speaker projects.

Yeah, you're probably right. However, this thing could make some pretty patterns to put on top

How big of a piece can you put in it?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
How big of a piece can you put in it?

Yeah...I saw this thing on TV too, but that was my first thought. Those awesome DIY CNC machines look capable of handling much larger pieces (and are more versatile).

Building one wouldn't be that easy though...I suppose.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin /forum/post/0

According to their site, it can only handle pieces up to 14.5" wide, though there doesn't seem to be a limit to length.

Exactly, Imagine the fancy design you can etch on to the front of a speaker baffle???

Or not having to route another hole again for speakers.

I really want one......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wanted to pass along that the Sears CompuCarve (aka. Carvewrite) was on sale for $1799 with Craftsman Club members receiving an additional $100 off and 12mon deferred interest.

The software (free trial available at www.carvewrite.com ) only accepts graphics files currently (bmp, jpg, gif, png, mng, and xpm) to create a 3D model. Their software basically interprets 8bit greyscale information into height (depth) for 3D. This is not a simple plug n' play kinda toy. It does require some patience and troubleshooting on the users part. One must understand that while this is an expensive piece of equipment, it is an amazing price for a packaged system and as with most things, you get what you pay for. The company is trying its best to work with its customers and resolve any problems, but as a small company, they may not be available the instant you want help.

Awaiting for mine to show up today!.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechOkie /forum/post/0

I wanted to pass along that the Sears CompuCarve (aka. Carvewrite) was on sale for $1799 with Craftsman Club members receiving an additional $100 off and 12mon deferred interest.

The software (free trial available at www.carvewrite.com ) only accepts graphics files currently (bmp, jpg, gif, png, mng, and xpm) to create a 3D model. Their software basically interprets 8bit greyscale information into height (depth) for 3D. This is not a simple plug n' play kinda toy. It does require some patience and troubleshooting on the users part. One must understand that while this is an expensive piece of equipment, it is an amazing price for a packaged system and as with most things, you get what you pay for. The company is trying its best to work with its customers and resolve any problems, but as a small company, they may not be available the instant you want help.

Awaiting for mine to show up today!.

Awesome news, be sure to take some pictures!

I wouldn't insult Craftsman by calling them a small company, they are tool giants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Turns out the salesman is buffoon. He got the ship date wrong. He set it up for March 7. Got it reordered and it should be here on next Wednesdays truck.

Oh well, gives me more time to read up and make a few more projects.

I think the only drawback will be the Craftsman name on the side. Such a shame to see a product with such potential put in the hands of one of the most incompetant retailers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My experience with this retailer says that "incompetant" is way too generous for those jerks. Can't say enough bad about them but there are rules about flames....

so this it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.