AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 541 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
Very nice setup, Craig. A friend has the Triad Golds and they kick like crazy. I can't even imagine what the Platinums can do.

I found when using DSX with 2-ch sources and PLIIx Music mode, that would override my Center Width setting (usually the default #3), and force it to 0, so all the vocals come from the center speaker. This also somewhat collapses the stereo spread. This is done so tat DSX will tap the L/R channels with minimal vocals in them, so as to avoid making them too fuzzy. The 5.1 music I tried has vocals in L/C/R so that was not a happy result, either.
Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Quote:
Any particular movies/scenes that you recall?

I found some passages in Ratatouille that created extended L/R pans, but I did not hear any soundfield difference.
King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Quote:
Where are your surrounds positioned?
The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Craig

·
Registered
12,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20747125

Thanks Roger. I have been following your posts on the Audyssey thread. Let's take the DSX discussion back there.

Perfect.

Quote:
King kong jungle scenes. Avatar jungle scenes.

Key word, jungle. Got it.

Quote:
The sides are at 90 degrees and the rears at 140 degrees, just like the Dolby rec's.

Goot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20748005

Key word, jungle. Got it.

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night with some guests. I gave up the primary LP and sat outside the sweet spot. The first half of the movie, I had the Wides off. I noticed that the side surrounds were out of balance, with the closer right surround being louder and more prominent than the left. When I turned on the DSX Wides, that completely changed and the surround field was more symmetrical, even sitting outside the sweet spot.

Just thought I would mention that.

Craig

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Craig, quick question. You said your screen was an AT 120" screen. That is obscene BTW
. The Plats are to either side of the screen. Obviously the center is behind the screen. You said you were thinking about a new projector and you are getting new seats that will go on a riser. In your space, could you adjust everything so that you can accommodate a larger screen that would extend past the right and left Plat's? Not that you have to. Your screen is pretty damn big as it is. I was just wondering if it could be done that's all. Just for the total illusion feeling.

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/20809304

Craig, quick question. You said your screen was an AT 120" screen. That is obscene BTW
. The Plats are to either side of the screen. Obviously the center is behind the screen. You said you were thinking about a new projector and you are getting new seats that will go on a riser. In your space, could you adjust everything so that you can accommodate a larger screen that would extend past the right and left Plat's? Not that you have to. Your screen is pretty damn big as it is. I was just wondering if it could be done that's all. Just for the total illusion feeling.

Hi Mike.

Yes, I could get a bigger screen and have it extend past the L/R Plat's. However, that gets to be a very big screen. At my 11' seating distance, 120" diagonal is already plenty big. My wife actually thinks the current screen is a little too big, but I think she's gotten used to it. To go bigger and get the speakers behind it, (without moving them), I would need to go to about 146" diagonal. That's a very big screen... too big for an 11" viewing distance.

Also, I wouldn't want the bottom of the screen any lower, so the added 10" of screen height would have to go at the top. That would force the viewer to look up too much and cause some neck/eye strain.

I could also move the L/R speakers in so they are behind the current screen. Actually, when I first got them, that's were I placed them. However, with the Plat's outside the screen edges, the front soundstage is noticeably wider, and I like that better. It seems just right.

I'm pretty content with my screen right now. A new projector is definitely on the horizon though.

Craig

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Got you. Yea 146" would be huge. But I think I have seen screens that big. That's just plain silly
. Your screen size is awesome to me. Personally, I don't think you need any bigger. You picture is crystal clear to me. I am sure that you will pick the best new projector also.

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/20813663

Where does the madness end. I just saw a theater in the $20,000 section that has a 170" wide screen. I don't know what that is diagonal. Plus I have seen another one that has a 176" screen. Now that IS just plain silly

Actually, in a larger theater, with a greater viewing distance, a larger screen makes sense. Here's a calculator that can help determine the optimal screen size for the viewing distance:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

You'll see that I'm actually sitting a little too close to my screen... but I'm OK with that.

Craig

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20813818

Actually, in a larger theater, with a greater viewing distance, a larger screen makes sense. Here's a calculator that can help determine the optimal screen size for the viewing distance:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

You'll see that I'm actually sitting a little too close to my screen... but I'm OK with that.

Craig

I saw that as well. I know that I could go with a larger screen if I wanted to. But I think mine matches the room. So does yours. I guess being in my room and even my living room I tend to forget that are people that have really massive rooms out there. That's why I focused more on the audio portion of my system. Because that really does not take up "space" like a screen does. So my goal was to get the audio as good as it possibly could be.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/20813878

I saw that as well. I know that I could go with a larger screen if I wanted to. But I think mine matches the room. So does yours. .

So does mine Mike thought with mine I couldnt go any bigger if I wanted to I think its perfect at the size it is. I wish I bought a screen like craig where im able to put the speakers behind the screen, thats a big plus in my book.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/20819855

So does mine Mike thought with mine I couldnt go any bigger if I wanted to I think its perfect at the size it is. I wish I bought a screen like craig where im able to put the speakers behind the screen, thats a big plus in my book.

PLEASE, 117" is Plenty big
. I would be happy with a 92in screen. That is what my friend has with a slightly older Sim2 projector and it looks great.

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think Frank is referring to the acoustic transparency of my screen. I will say that going AT was a *big* improvement. I previously had a 92" fixed, wall mounted, non-AT screen. This dictated that the CC be placed below it. Therefore I had a horizontal CC situated below the screen. I always noticed that the CC was too low. It was below the video image and voices didn't "lock up" perfectly with the on-screen image. With an AT screen, and the CC being placed directly *behind* the screen, the audio and the video lock up precisely. It may seem like a subtle change, but the improvement is significant.

Craig

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
My friend has a non AT screen and his screen is a non fixed retractable one that comes down from the ceiling. He freely admits that my audio is better but even with a non AT screen, and his center below it, it is still a very nice system. If I had my way and a room to do it right, I would hope that I could set something up where all the speakers are behind the screen. But AT would be it for me so at least I would have the center behind it. For now, I have to live with my KILLER 42in plasma

P.S I hope your chair experience is better than mine was. Looking forward to checking out you system again.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20833722

I think Frank is referring to the acoustic transparency of my screen. I will say that going AT was a *big* improvement. I previously had a 92" fixed, wall mounted, non-AT screen. This dictated that the CC be placed below it. Therefore I had a horizontal CC situated below the screen. I always noticed that the CC was too low. It was below the video image and voices didn't "lock up" perfectly with the on-screen image. With an AT screen, and the CC being placed directly *behind* the screen, the audio and the video lock up precisely. It may seem like a subtle change, but the improvement is significant.

Craig

That's correct Craig.

My room been treated originally by a HAA consultant helped a lot with the front stage imaging which is quite good to be honest but I believe and know that speakers behind the screen will show a significant improvement. Unfortunately due to my room size it does make it hard( wont say it cant happen ) but I will look at it one day.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/20832612

I would be happy with a 92in screen. That is what my friend has with a slightly older Sim2 projector and it looks great.

I used to that also before I went Scope A Sim Domino D35 and Stewart 16:9 Studio tech 130.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Craig, if I remember correctly, you had a couch to sit on right? When you get the new chairs, will you still keep the couch as well? You said you got a 4 seat row. I can imagine that the were not cheap. Given what my Lazy Boy chairs were and what the ones I was planning on getting would have cost me. Any plans in the future of getting a second row at some point?

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the A/V Dude
That is the nicest screen calculator I've ever seen!

The system looks phenomenal Craig, great work- and thank you for turning me on to AVS Forum!
Hi Don! Welcome to the forum. We'll have to get you and your wife over here soon. In the meantime, enjoy the forum. I'm sure that with your background and knowledge, you'll be a great asset to the forum. Be careful though... it can be addicting!

Craig

PS. Don, be sure to add your website in your sig. and in your profile.

21 - 40 of 541 Posts