AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the A/V Dude
That is the nicest screen calculator I've ever seen!
The calculator works nice, but the statement >>Recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
The calculator works nice, but the statement >>Recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
Craig,

Quote:
Be careful though... it can be addicting!
...I believe you're right..





I expressed it before, but love the system progression. You have a wonderful demeanor to your contributions, your tech savvy is solid, yet you possess a very down to earth posting style,...and that's refreshing.



Q; what is your most needed tended to acoustic issue,..or are you right where you want to be?


Q; wrt viewing angle, I'm relatively weak on the visual side of HT (nor is the the ideal place), however wouldn't there be a singular ideal distance for a rez/screen size combo? Any farther and rez is wasted, any closer and rez elements can be seen.


Q; also, what's the most demanding material, ie., the most demanding single scene on your sub system?


Q; attending Cedia?


Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862292


Craig,

...I believe you're right..





I expressed it before, but love the system progression. You have a wonderful demeanor to your contributions, your tech savvy is solid, yet you possess a very down to earth posting style,...and that's refreshing.

Thanks, FOH. I've learned a lot from contributors like yourself over the years.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862292


Q; what is your most needed tended to acoustic issue,..or are you right where you want to be?

I would like to add some diffusion. However, most diffusion panels are ugly and expensive. They're also somewhat complex to DIY. I don't feel a pressing *need* to do this, but I think it may have some benefit.


OTOH, if I could start over again... there's a lot of changes I would make, starting with a wall to enclose the room, and make it symmetrical and rectangular. Then I would take great pains with sound *isolation* which I have none of ATM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862292


Q; wrt viewing angle, I'm relatively weak on the visual side of HT (nor is the the ideal place), however wouldn't there be a singular ideal distance for a rez/screen size combo? Any farther and rez is wasted, any closer and rez elements can be seen.

Good point, and this was much more important with older 720p projectors, where screen door effect was more obvious. With 1080P projectors, this is less of a problem, and viewing distances can be closer without having to view visible projector artifacts. However, some screens have heir own artifacts, (sparklies, hot spots, etc.), and closer viewing distances can make those worse. My AT screen has a woven fabric structure. If I get too close to the screen, I can start to the weave. However, at my 11' viewing distance, and with my getting older eyesight,
I can't see the weave at all when viewing content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862292


Q; also, what's the most demanding material, ie., the most demanding single scene on your sub system?

Terminator Salvation gives it a workout, as does Tron, The Dark Knight, War of the Worlds, Master and Commander, Ironman and Flight of the Phoenix. However, my all time favorite scenes to use for demo use are:


King Kong, Bronto stampede and triple T-Rexx/KK battle

Avatar, First Flight scene

Alice In Wonderland, most any scene

All of these movies have rich saturated colors and excellent surround tracks. They have some good, but not great bass scenes, but the overall experiences shows off the whole system.


And the last piece I use for every demo I do:

Eagles, Farewell 1 Tour on HD-DVD. This was shot on 1080P/60 video cameras, so the PQ is stunning. The soundtrack is the best recording I've ever heard on any concert DVD/BluRay/HD DVD. And I grew up with the music and know every note of every song, as does virtually everyone else. Every time I end a demo with that concert, my guests always leave with a huge smile. In fact, that concert is the only reason I keep my HD-DVD player hooked up. I wish it would come out on BluRay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862292


Q; attending Cedia?

Unfortunately not this year. I am on-call at the hospital and can't get anyone to cover for me. I would really like to go to be able to lay eyes on the new batch of projectors. Just not happenin'.



Are you attending?


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Hi Craig,


I noticed there is no center seat in your new seating. Does this mean the "sweet spot" is no longer a major influence? Perhaps the seating will be offset in your room? I bet in leather they will look and feel fantastic!


Offtopic, Have you heard the new Danley loudspeakers at Lambeau field yet? I was curious if you, as a spectator, could notice the difference from the old system? The loudspeaker system is comprised of 17 GH60 Genesis Horns, 14 TH118 subwoofers, 20 SH100 downfills, and 56 SHmicro's in the luxury boxes. Wow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum /forum/post/20864892


Hi Craig,


I noticed there is no center seat in your new seating. Does this mean the "sweet spot" is no longer a major influence? Perhaps the seating will be offset in your room? I bet in leather they will look and feel fantastic!

I did not want to be the first to ask this question but I was thinking the same thing. Which seat do you predict to be the "sweet spot" After gettibg chairs nyself that allow me to sit in the sweet spot, I understand how important it is. Can't wait for you to get them. I will also be in touch so we can work out a time for you to check out my new chairs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum /forum/post/20864892


Hi Craig,


I noticed there is no center seat in your new seating. Does this mean the "sweet spot" is no longer a major influence? Perhaps the seating will be offset in your room? I bet in leather they will look and feel fantastic!

Hi Scott,


Good pickup on the "sweet spot" issue. However, I specifically chose those seats because I could configure them such that the second seat from the left could be placed *exactly* in the sweet spot. This will place the console off center and the other primary seat to the right of the console a little further off axis of the sweet spot. But *my* seat will be perfectly centered on the screen and the CC, and equidistant from the L/R's. I wouldn't have it any other way. The 4th seat, all the way right, will be outside the right speaker plane, but that's kind of a "throw away" seat anyway. I'll sit in it when I have guests over, and will (temporarily) give up the sweet spot. In fact, the next time you're over, I'll sit there and make sure YOU get the sweet spot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum /forum/post/20864892


Offtopic, Have you heard the new Danley loudspeakers at Lambeau field yet? I was curious if you, as a spectator, could notice the difference from the old system? The loudspeaker system is comprised of 17 GH60 Genesis Horns, 14 TH118 subwoofers, 20 SH100 downfills, and 56 SHmicro's in the luxury boxes. Wow!

I haven't been to Lambeau in a few years. I did follow the AV upgrade they did. From what I understand, it's a HUGE improvement. The old system was pretty antiquated.


Here's a video:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2051257375139


Here's what they're planning to do next:




I'm gonna hafta schedule a trip to Lambeau.



Craig
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/20867155


I did not want to be the first to ask this question but I was thinking the same thing. Which seat do you predict to be the "sweet spot" After gettibg chairs nyself that allow me to sit in the sweet spot, I understand how important it is. Can't wait for you to get them. I will also be in touch so we can work out a time for you to check out my new chairs.

Yes, we both understand the importance of finding the "sweet spot." (See above.)



Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,246 Posts
That's pretty cool that you have the ability to configure the chairs a bit so you can sit right in the sweet spot. They do look fantastic BTW. I think I got mine as close as I could. I will give you and Dennis that chair of course when you guys come over. I will interested in hearing your thoughts about where they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Craig


VERY extensive & nicely executed system. You've done "the work" many times over, your dedication/pa$$ion is huge.

My compliments. You've every right to be proud and I laud your statesmanship and diplomacy as well.


Thanks


Sincerely


Dan in Bothell Wa. ( aka. RMS Hickock)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
I used to work for a Triad dealer and our distributor had the platinums set up in a theater with the Denon stack running them. They ran a Godsmack demo and man those speakers were insane dynamic. The wood finish was awful but those speakers could make your ears bleed with their dynamics and sheer spl capability.


I sold a few Triad systems and always loved their dynamics and installation flexibility.


The width channels are very interesting. You may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but what type of processor are you using to "get" information to those channels?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I agree that the Triads with the "standard" finish are not the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen. However, Triad will custom-finish them in any finish you want.


The dynamics of these speaker is, as you say... "insane." Not that there's anything wrong with that!



I'm using an Integra DHC 80.2 pre/pro to provide the signal for the Wides. The system that synthesizes the Wides and/or Heights is called Audyssey DSX:
http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20934987


I agree that the Triads with the "standard" finish are not the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen. However, Triad will custom-finish them in any finish you want.


The dynamics of these speaker is, as you say... "insane." Not that there's anything wrong with that!



I'm using an Integra DHC 80.2 pre/pro to provide the signal for the Wides. The system that synthesizes the Wides and/or Heights is called Audyssey DSX:
http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx


Craig

Yes, the black you have looks much nicer than the ones I saw.


Just curious, how do you determine whether to have the width cannels on before starting a movie? The DSX is also very interesting. I had never heard of it previously.


Also, would you assume that if the width channels were not timbre matched it may be distracting? (also just curious)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed /forum/post/20935967


Yes, the black you have looks much nicer than the ones I saw.


Just curious, how do you determine whether to have the width cannels on before starting a movie? The DSX is also very interesting. I had never heard of it previously.

I pretty much always start a movie in PLIIx DSX mode. Then, if I don't like the effect, I have the option to shut it off. I have never shut it off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed /forum/post/20935967


Also, would you assume that if the width channels were not timbre matched it may be distracting? (also just curious)

The Triad Silver Monitors I use for wides and surrounds use the same drivers for the midrange and tweeters as the Platinums. They are as good a timbre match as is possible in the Triad line without getting more Platinums. I listen to a lot of multi-channel music and a good timbre match was very important to me when I selected my surrounds and wides. I would not personally recommend a poorly matched speaker for wides, or for surrounds for that matter.


Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20951063


Hmmmm.....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...yssey=nav|head


^^^ That is surprising!

They'll get it worked out.


When Lucas Oil Stadium first opened, we had many complaints about the various sound systems. Too loud, too soft, mis-matched delays etc. It takes some time to sort those things out.


What people may not realize, is the extent and seriousness that many businesses, facilities take legitimate complaints. I spent a decade of my career at the RCA Dome. Then, after being involved in the design process, I essentially lived at the new Lucas Oil Stadium, in an oversight/acclimation capacity while it was under construction. After opening the facility, I was part of a weekly management team production meeting. In addition to covering all aspects of up-coming events, we addressed fans concerns complaints together, as a group. We took all complaints very seriously.


Now, Packers fans will love this. The Indy fans are great, but man they are soft....Our first home game where we opened the window, and opened the roof, we had scores of complaints about the SUN!
Yep, the sun,..sunburn, the sun obscuring vision, excessive heat from the sun,...no kidding,..it's bright and it's hot. Well, like all aspects, we took these complaints seriously. So from that day forward, or guest services staff had sunscreen available free, for anyone that needed it. We also saw to it that the media outlets warned attendees about the status of the roof; be it open or closed. For 20 plus years Colts fans went to games dressed for a climate controlled environment.


WRT Green Bay's system; Nothing changes the character of a large sound system more than 70,000 warm bodies with head-worn foam HF attenuators
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
"... screaming water bags..."


"...warm bodies with head-worn foam HF attenuators..."


Those are not very complimentary descriptions of fine, upstanding Packer fans.
Still, when your team currently holds the trophy named after your highly distinguished head coach, everyone is going to take shots at ya. That's OK, we can take it.



FOH, thanks for your insights. I wasn't aware of your experience at this level. It certainly adds credence to your always-helpful contributions to the forum.


BTW, Packer fans could never be called "soft." If anything, they're the hardiest fans in the NFL. EVERY game is a sellout, no matter the weather at the "frozen tundra of Lambeau Field." In fact, if there is snow in the days leading up to a game, the Packers organization can count on volunteer fans to help clear the stands and the parking lots:



Craig
 
41 - 60 of 541 Posts
Top