AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a couple of used alternatives. Can anybody chime in on quality, bang for buck. I'm looking for a quality sub, but a bargain pricing.

Dahlquist PDQ1500 $250

Energy EPS 150 $250

MK VS-4 BO

Polk ??? (not interested) $150

The Dahlquist and the Energy looked interesting, next the MK, then the Polk (price might be right). Any input would be appreciated.

edit: 8/22

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You are a very trusting soul - the last time someone posted a question about an eBay auction, the item received 5 bids before the first reply to the question was posted. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Aye, the first thing you do, is remove or type over the links,

then just ask about the products in general....

That Dahlquist looks good for a budget box.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I'm trusting...First, it's local, next I'm only lukewarm on any of them, last it isn't an auction.

Thanks, John... I'll look into that one. Not much detail though.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
You do some searches on the web? People have no doubt talked about these subs before.

Dahlquist has to have a site, Ive been there before.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dahlquist's site is gone. Did see a review from 2004 on the PDQ15. 150RMS/500peak amp, rated to 28hz, which surprised me for a 15. It's probably a few years old. Not much more info available.

The Energy EPS-150 looks interesting, doing some research.

Can't find anything on the MK on their site.

You're advice is always appreciated.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just added other subs

Paradigm PS1000 - probably not improved model - $250

Velodyne F1200 Servo - $400

Velodyne FSR12 - $400

All are asking prices. It looks like the Paradigm might be a good value. The Velos seem a bit under powered for the price.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't want to be a downer, but the PS1000 I had was the boomiest sub I have ever heard. My experience with it (V3) was that it was all boom and no nothing else. I tried Paradigm's less expensive PDR-12 and liked it better. Maybe others mileage differs, but I couldn't tame that thing and wasn't at all sorry to see it leave. I've tried several other subs (mostly more expensive), and I have never been particularly disappointed in anything but the PS1000. Perhaps the newer version(s) are better.

If your budget goes up to $400, I would imagine you can find many used subs of nice quality. Not familiar with the Velodynes, but they have a pretty good reputation. A quick look at Audiogon.com shows what looks like some good deals on a PSB 5i, Athena ASP400, and Def Tech PF 15tl. And there are others.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
That $229 Cadence sounds better then all this crap, some of these subs are dinosaurs... like that Velodyne F1200
Actually, I'm about to return the Velo DPS 10. I'm doing a sanity check before I order the Cadence, Dayton 12 or really piss my wife off and go for the SVS. I've read all the arguments pro and con for new gear. Thought I'd look around for a sweetheart deal.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.