AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Everest Imax film in progressive scan and when the panned the mountain I noticed flashing or 'twitter' in the rocks of the landscape.

When switching to interlaced mode on my dvd player it got much much better. Does this mean the de-interlacer on my TV is better then the DVD player? If so why the heck did I buy a progressive scan player....

Its a Sony 715P should i exchange it. I've watched 10 or so movies so far and this one is the first time I noticed it and I notice it allot.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I had Sony 715P for a week and it had some flashing too. I noticed the flashing in a couple of movies that I own. The severe flashing was in chapter 13 in ET. I returned it back to Circuit City and got a refund. With the refund, I got the Panasonic DVD-XP30 from ABT Electronics website over week ago.

My recommendation is to return the Sony 715P.

·
Registered
976 Posts
This sounds like something a faroudja de-interlacer would solve. I once A/B'd the sony 7x5p (two models) with the Philips 985a and preferred the Philips on a dlp. Always take magazine reviews with a grain of salt. You (the viewer) has to let his eyes do the judging.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out the DVD was shot in Video so it looks like my player has a hard time telling the difference between Film and Video sources. It is trying to do a 3:2 pulldown on a 30fps source. When I force it to video mode and not auto the picture looks better.

I guess its not a big deal since 99% of movies are Film based and everything looks fine. Its just this odd ball IMAX film that caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audi2honda
I found out the DVD was shot in Video so it looks like my player has a hard time telling the difference between Film and Video sources. It is trying to do a 3:2 pulldown on a 30fps source.
I noticed the same behavior on "Born on the Fourth of July" on the Sony DVP-NS715P that I have too. I didn't see this behavior with the Pioneer DV-656a and Panasonic DVD-XP-30 that I also have.

Glad to hear switching to video mode "fixed" this for ya. :)

Peace...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.