AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching Gladiator, and noticed how much the screen is flickering while a DVD is playing. This is extremely noticable when the picture is bright and high-contrast. My display is set to 100Hz, and both my video card and monitor support that refresh rate at my resolution. I also installed the RivaTuner fix, that is supposed to force the hardware to use the highest possible refresh rate at any resolution. In other words - why the hell is this happening?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is this really flicker - or is it the fact that movies are typically only 24 frames per second, causing jerky pan shots, etc.?

Most people don't notice refresh rate flicker much above 60Hz, although lighting conditions (eg. florescent tubes) can make a difference. I usually set my regular monitor to about 75-85Hz, and 60hz is noticeable for me when at work. At home, when viewing DVD's - 60hz is fine on a projection tv.

There may be a some kind of weird interference/strobe effect happening that you may be able solve just by lowering the rate some.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
I was just watching Gladiator, and noticed how much the screen is flickering while a DVD is playing. This is extremely noticable when the picture is bright and high-contrast. My display is set to 100Hz, and both my video card and monitor support that refresh rate at my resolution. I also installed the RivaTuner fix, that is supposed to force the hardware to use the highest possible refresh rate at any resolution. In other words - why the hell is this happening?
I remember my flicker days occurred when I had my monitor in interlaced mode

Pierre

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeTV
...movies are typically only 24 frames per second, causing jerky pan shots, etc.?
Is that what I'm seeing? It's been bugging the hell outta me, thinking my system was too weak or not configured properly. I notice a stutter on all pans while watching DVDs.

I would sleep better knowing that film based media does that for everyone. ;)

Loax

·
Registered
216 Posts
And DVD's are either 50 or 60 frames, depending on the region (pal/ntsc), and because these rates are not natural multiples of 24, this can compound the problem further.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do i get rid of the flicker?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
First, use a refresh rate that is an even multiple of your source. In the case of Movie DVD's, that is 48Hz (2x 24 fps). If the source is video (scaler input or TV-Sourced DVD (Such as music videos, documentaries, etc.), then use 60hz.

Some find that a refresh rate of 72Hz is a good compromise. It is 2.5x the frame rate of film, and close enough to 60hz to be acceptable.

However, all of the above assume your display device can vary its display refresh (i.e. a CRT PJ or Tube). If you are using a DLP or CRT PJ, then you probably should just stick to its native refresh (typically 60hz). Otherwise, the artifacts you are seeing are due to the mismatch in display device vs. video source refresh rates.

For incredible detail on all this, please visit the CRT and Digital PJ forums here.

FWIW- I view Gladiator (and all 24fps movies) on my Sony G-70 CRT PJ at 1440x960p @48hz. Wonderful image, smooth pans and no skips.

Video sources are scaled to 1440x1050 @60hz, same results.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All i'm using right now is a 19" CRT monitor. I can't stand refresh rates below 85Hz - they give me headaches. So can i use 96hz then? But how do i set that refresh rate?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The video card i'm using is a GF4 4200.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For a 19" monitor, I'd suggest using 72Hz refresh rates. It's a 2.5 multiple of the 24fps film rate, and high enough to overcome the short duration phosphors in monitors (vs a PJ).

I have the same video card (MSI G4Ti4200) & a Hitachi CM771 19" in my office PC, and it looks fine at these settings (1440x960 @72Hz).

My usual desktop refresh rate is indeed 85Hz. But for DVD's, you need to have some reasonable multiple of the source frame rate as the refresh rate.

Use Powerstrip to manage the resolutions and refresh rates.

As noted, tons of detail as to why in the CRT forum.

·
Registered
670 Posts
24 * 3 = 72

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great i tried doing it with Powerstrip and now i'm screwed. For some reason, my monitor now refuses to display 100hz at my current resolution, and only goes up to 95. I reinstalled everything imaginable. Even though 100hz is selected in Display Properties, the built-in Viewmeter on the monitor tells me it's only 85, and i believe it because i can see the flicker. Powerstrip won't even let me set 100 - when i try it, the number is replaced with a RED 85 instead. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Oops, yes 24*3 = 72. I'd been working with someone else on a 60hz setup for a DLP and the 2.5 got stuck ;)

D!abolic, you might need to re-select your monitor device properties under the Video card advanced settings->Monitor tab. This controls max resolution and refresh rates for a particular monitor device.

Powerstrip looks at those values and will not exceed them when configuring custom resolutions.

BTW- 100Hz refresh? I quit seeing any flicker at 85. What brand / model of Monitor are your running?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, my eyes are killing me - if i don't find a solution soon, i'll have to format. How exactly do i 're-select monitor device properties'? Do i go to Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor -> Properties? And then what? I see General and Driver tabs there.

The monitor is a 19" ViewSonic G790.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.