AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasnt sure if I sould post this or not becuase I didnt want anyone to think this was a BD bash, its not. I do have to say that I have over 50 HD movies from both formats and this is the absolute WORST in terms of PQ by far. Anyone else notice this? I mean it litterally looks no better then SD DVD. This is the first time I have been dissapointed with a tittle. Great movie, but horrible PQ. Its rated in tier 3, but that is much to generous. Was this an early release with known problems?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

Its all that film that has to offer. It was very low budget. I compared it to a cable capture and in terms of detail they were the same (with the cap having plenty of other defects due to low bitrates). So its not that the BD has something wrong with it. Its the film itself.

Ok, well im actually glad to hear that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So is there any point in buying the BR copy?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasie /forum/post/0

So is there any point in buying the BR copy?

at least you get better audio quality, but expect nothing from picture. If you have the SD DVD version buy a blu ray case for $1.50 and stick the SD DVD version in it.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Crash plays like a TV-Movie-of-the-Week. It has to be one of the worst films ever to have won Best Picture. It is predictable, melodramatic and full of stereotypes. I was shocked when it won.... surely there were more deserving films.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

Crash plays like a TV-Movie-of-the-Week. It has to be one of the worst films ever to have won Best Picture. It is predictable, melodramatic and full of stereotypes. I was shocked when it won.... surely there were more deserving films.

That's the same thing I thought of when I rented Monster's Ball. (sorry to anybody that loves that movie) It just seemed like one overhyped daytime television soap box opera feel with nearly x rated sex scenes.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:

I think it came down to Crash and Brokeback Mountain, but then you know those old timers in the academy wouldn't want Brokeback to win no matter what.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
I mean it litterally looks no better then SD DVD.

on a 120" display, this couldn't be further from the truth. looks very good to me. VERY grainy, but still, it looks like film. i have no problems with it at all. and i very nearly didn't buy this BD because of remarks like this one.

this BD takes the DVD out the back and gives it a good beating.

actually, this is a good demo disc, for one reason. if you can't tell that this disc is substancially better than the DVD, then something's wrong. you're just not getting the full benefit out of HD. maybe you're sitting too far from your screen, or maybe your screen is too small, i don't know. but this most definitely, absolutely does not look anything like SD.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Didn't like the movie so definitely won't pick this title up. Agree that it was predictable and melodramatic, and worse, really preachy, but ironically full of stereotypes.

The OP makes this transfer sounds as bad as the HD-DVD of "Traffic". Any chance this was also a SD upconversion?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:

The movie as a whole doesn't work, but it is more of an inner exploration into causes and effects, with a message-driven plot.

For example, when you first meet the Matt Dillion character, he's the type of scum you'd never want to run into - especially considering his misuse of his badge. And then the movie proceeds to illustrate how and why he is the way he is.

I liked the fact that the film scratches below the surface of what we see as black and white to explore the shades of grey.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
His dad is dying, so he has a right to be an a-hole? Besides that, I thought it was a little heavy-handed to see him being the "hero" and rescuing the lady from the car, as if that proves he's not really racist.

I can see how some people liked the film, but just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/0

His dad is dying, so he has a right to be an a-hole?

The film isn't justifying what he does but given his situation quite a few people might react that way. And that is the point. There's no right or wrong but differing perspectives.

Quote:
Besides that, I thought it was a little heavy-handed to see him being the "hero" and rescuing the lady from the car, as if that proves he's not really racist.

That's not what the movie is saying at all. Extreme situations can work like an aphrodisiac or a "drunken" state where our true self is revealed - and that is the compassion for others above all else.

He may very well be a racist. And after the rescue he may continue to hate blacks, but for that one moment he was able to overcome his will and personified character to be able to let go of himself for one purpose - to save a life. And the film is trying to convey the idea that this power of tollerance is within all of us; some just need a push more than others.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

The film isn't justifying what he does but given his situation quite a few people might react that way. And that is the point. There's no right or wrong but differing perspectives.

That's not what the movie is saying at all. Extreme situations can work like an aphrodisiac or a "drunken" state where our true self is revealed - and that is the compassion for others above all else.

He may very well be a racist. And after the rescue he may continue to hate blacks, but for that one moment he was able to overcome his will and personified character to be able to let go of himself for one purpose - to save a life. And the film is trying to convey the idea that this power of tollerance is within all of us; some just need a push more than others.

Well he was a cop. I don't think he had a choice given the situation, but I do feel the filmmakers were trying to drive home the point that he wasn't a racist "at heart".

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to rating picture quality for movies, but Crash was really bad for Blu Ray. Not bad for DVD, but horrendous, black levels, detail, etc. for a Blu Ray release.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/0

Well he was a cop. I don't think he had a choice given the situation, but I do feel the filmmakers were trying to drive home the point that he wasn't a racist "at heart".

You're only looking at face value.......there's a deeper meaning behind that scene.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.