1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Gateway Hot Deal

$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!

$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!$500!!!

Ok 500 bucks for (copied from post above)

Specs:

Pentium III 933MHz (Dual processor upgradeable)

ServerWorks ServerSet III LE chipset

128MB PC133 ECC SDRAM (expandable to 2GB)

(1) 9GB Ultra160 7200rpm SCSI hard drive

48x IDE CD-ROM

Seven PCI Slots: (2)64-bit and (5)32-bit

Integrated Dual Channel Ultra160 SCSI

Integrated 32-bit PCI graphics with 4MB SDRAM

Integrated Intel 10/100 Ethernet

Keyboard, mouse, 1.44MB floppy

Mid-Tower case with 300W and 9 drive bays

3 Year Warranty

Evidently this sucker uses the asus cur-dls serverworks mobo. That board alone goes for about 600 on pricewatch!!

No agp slot, but I guess hooked up with a radeon pci would work pretty well.

There's lots of pros and cons to this setup, read the posts carefully. But for 500 bucks how can you go wrong??? Ive ordered one, tempted to get another.

Hell I paid more to build simple web browsing sh1tboxes for my neighbors.

Dual capable p3 933!!

64bit 66mhz pci slots!!!

K

[This message has been edited by kyungkim (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Here is actually a direct link to this Gateway Server. I called Gateway to confirm, and yes it looks like its valid. You have to select option #1 (-400.00 rebate) AND select the 3year parts and labor with 1 year onsite and get another credit of (-$99)and the price is $500.00
http://www.gatewayatwork.com/prod/sb...0_Config.shtml

Sounds good to me, I just bought one.

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Grr this is amazingly tempting http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Just bought first new computer in 2 years 2 months ago. $500 isn't bad at all for a normal PII 933, let alone one like this with a motherboard that alone is worth nearly that much.

The thread linked above discusses possible problems with disabaling the onboard video. Could mean big trouble for people that want to use this as HTPC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I can't see how this could be good for an HTPC, but... if you want to setup a server in your house....

Shipping was $45.00 to NJ.

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Its not a bad base. This is supposedly noisy though after reading through the threads more.

Get a soundcard, pci radeon and cheap DVD drive and you could have an HTPC. Thats if you could disable the onboard video...

------------------

Cal Z.

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is one heck of a deal for a server (not great for an HTPC, but not bad for a media server sitting in a back room). No AGP port, but the ServerWorks chipsets absolutely smoke Intel's when it comes to I/O throughput.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(snip)

I just orderd the gateway for a friend of the family who needed a computer to web browse. She'll be the only florist on the block crusing the internet on a 933 dual capable ultra 160 screamer.

According to most this is the asus mobo CUR-DLS. The manual from Asus you can select which vga bios to use, onboard or pci.

I assuming a similar if not identical control exists on this server.

The poster on anand btw was comparing it to a similar gateway box(a higer end one), not this particular model. We won't know exactly how noisy until it ships.

Other than noise pollution what other issues are there?

There shoudln't be a single htpc app that this box+pci radeon+soundcard couldn't handle. If anything its a bit overkill.

Granted the gateway is not a custom built htpc, but its CRAZY CHEAP!!!

K

[This message has been edited by kyungkim (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think the two 120mm fans made people think it was noisy. I believe they are fairly standard fare and can be pretty noisy. Servers tend to be. I sit next to one all day http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Cal Z.

and

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___For Server use, this may suffice but before you go out and throw $500.00 out on a $180.00 CPU and $40.00 worth of LQ SDRAM, please read a review or two of the ServerWorks chipsets including the less robust “LE†that is more than likely being discussed as well as the capabilities of this chipset for HTPC use in the first place.

___The non-AGP capability of the LE alone is a huge detriment for HTPC use both today and in the near future.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
___For Server use, this may suffice but before you go out and throw $500.00 out on a $180.00 CPU and $40.00 worth of LQ SDRAM, please read a review or two of the ServerWorks chipsets
the aforementioned cur-dls averages around $650 on pricewatch. 9.1gb (puny) 7200rpm ultra scis 160 drive averages around $160. That lq sdram just happens to be ecc registered pc133 sdram. Gateway probably isn't throwing in a computer-show special in their server line. Add miscellaneous cd and ps and other crap, and you would be very hard pressed to build something like this for even double the price. I recently built a msi6309 dual p3 733. That thing cost well over a 1200 just a few weeks ago.

Pricewise, this thing rocks. Feature wise, its a bit of a toad, needs a kiss.

Quote:
___The non-AGP capability of the LE alone is a huge detriment for HTPC use both today and in the near future.
With all due respect, Ive yet to see what agp has done for htpcs. I don't think dvd, dtv or hdtv applications have come close to saturating the normal 33mhz pci bus. there's also nothing on the radar that makes agp an absolute necessity on the horizon. Maybe when the next vid card with REAL hd support comes along we'll be in trouble, but I never purchase pc's on the hopes of magical upgrades the future might bring. Ive been burned too many times, remember the overdrive socket? (please no overdrive vs agp flames, just an example) Gaming will absolutely stink with the pci, but for overall ht use, it should be more than good enuff. I won't be throwing away my amd1.1 and geforce ultra anytime soon, but dualling in win2k should be alot of fun. flaskmpeg anyone?

As soon as this fu(ker gets in, in goes hipix, 40g and 60g harddrives. I don't use my pc for dvd's so Ill wait on ordering the radeon pci. All my computers sit in another room, so noise isn't a big concern, but I'll probably yank out the noisy fans anyway.

K

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you take those 120mm fans and rewire them to run off 7 volts (12-5, an easy change), they will probably run very quietly while still providing plenty of cooling.

Big slow fans give you much better CFM/DB than small fast fans.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a quick breakdown...

mobo 600

cd 35

hd 170

case 60

mem 40 remember its ecc registered stuff

cpu 170

misc crap 25

$500????

U guys are insane if you don't jump on this...

Haven't you ever wanted to play with ultra scsi 160... get one of those 10k rpm screamers and see what they'll do?

You have a dsl line at home? static ip? Register a domain name for 17 bucks. Win2k Server can be setup to run and serve webpages in literally minutes. Just a year and a half ago our enterpirse web serving solution consisted of a dual pentium2 350!

Haven't u guys ever wanted to play with duall procs?

bp6.. that ring a bell to anyone? Well this chipset is built from the ground up to perform and be STABLE when dualling. (not a hack!)

The general gist of the anand article is that the chipset performs well, but is too expensive.

Go get your ticket punched.

Comeon, don't let me get yelled at by my girlfriend alone.

You rat *******s should suffer as well. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

K

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xcel:
Hi All:

___For Server use, this may suffice but before you go out and throw $500.00 out on a $180.00 CPU and $40.00 worth of LQ SDRAM, please read a review or two of the ServerWorks chipsets including the less robust “LE†that is more than likely being discussed as well as the capabilities of this chipset for HTPC use in the first place.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

C'mon Xcel, you know that isn't a fair comparision http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif It's not just a $180 processor and $40 of cheap ram (it's not cheap, either - Gateway uses Micron for ECC). The Ultra SCSI drive and controller add $250 alone (assuming you were trying to build a DIY system with similar specs).

Whether this is a great deal for an HTPC is debatable - I too have yet to see the benefit of AGP for HT applications. It certainly doesn't do anything for DVD playback, and the PCI GeForce 2 MX I have in my work machine maintains very playable frame rates for gaming. You can pick up a PCI Radeon (if that's your HTPC preference) for next to nothing - I saw one at Best Buy for $79. What's not debatable, though, is this is an AMAZING deal for servers. I quote the Anandtech review you note:

Quote:

This brings us back to the original topic of this review, the ServerWorks ServerSet III HEsl. Without a doubt this is definitely one of the most interesting chipsets we have seen in a while and it does get the job done. The majority of the performance tests were won by the ServerSet III HEsl with less theoretical bandwidth than the i840 chipset and while using regular PC133 SDRAM in comparison to the Pro 266's DDR SDRAM. That is really the reason for the beauty of the chipset, the fact that it can offer such high performance while still using conventional PC133 SDRAM

The only real drawback Anandtech's review found, aside from crappy AGP performance (which doesn't apply to this deal), was it was too expensive. That is exactly what this Gateway deal fixes - the whole system is about the price of a stand-alone board.

I added up some "extras" - additional 933mhz CPU, 256mb more RAM, and additional 9.1gb SCSI drive - and the total, with shipping, was $860. That is simply UNBELIEVABLE for a dual P3 server system with 384mb of RAM and 18gb of Ultra SCSI 160 storage. Throw in the fact you get three years parts/1 year on site service - which you don't get if you DIY - and it's almost like shoplifting. Heck, I may well order 2 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Ix

My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours

View pics of my Home Theater & more at:
My HT site

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DON'T order extras from gateway!!

You can upgrade parts much more economically by buying the pieces from other places.

Some people on the anandtech thread are buying 2 and "combining" parts into one box, it's actually cheaper if you auction off the remaining bits...

If you were to upgrade the original box you might get another,

cpu ~180, hd ~ 170, Ram ~40= 390

Whole another system = 500.

Difference is around 110 bucks which should be easiliy made up by selling the board cd, case etc for proably more than 300. Vewy tempting.

K

·
Registered
625 Posts
I bought one. It'll be at my house on the 18th. I need a 6th computer like I need another hole in my head. I'm such an impulse buyer...

------------------

-Mark

------------------------

-- Yes I'm an addict. --

-- I bought a Color --

-- Analyzer for --

-- 'personal use' --

------------------------

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Yeah, i figured for $500.00 I'll find use for it too!.

I have spent much more on crap that sits in the garage and is never used.

Like maybe... a $4500.00 ATV, or maybe an expensive remote control car or 2.

Lets not forget the thousands I spend on tools that are still shiny new.. the list goes on

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I was doing the math on this thing, convinced it wasn't that great a deal, and came to the conclusion that, in fact, it is a HECK of a deal. I still don't know if this'd make a good HTPC (although as mentioned about, right now the difference between AGP and PCI for HTPC isn't there), but it's a hell of a nice server PC. Supports dual processor too - heck, I've been getting ready to build something like this for my web site and I was up to a grand with the same specs!

Just might have to order me one. Oh, BTW, PCI does NOT suck for gaming, I have a Geforce2 MX PCI in my work machine (which I've been known to play a game or two on - after hours, of course http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif since it is an Intel i810 and doesn't have an AGP slot - and it works just fine, thanks. Yes, my AGP GeForce 2 GTS at home is faster, but the PCI setup doesn't "suck" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

And if the fan noise bugs you there is nothing stopping you from spending $35 and getting ultra-quiet ones from QuietPC.com.....

------------------

Ix

My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours

View pics of my Home Theater & more at:
My HT site

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Guys:

___Kyungkim: Buy.com was one of the most respected vendors on the internet until the coupons went away … I was also one of those that was involved in the 19†Hitachi Monitor gate (my order for 19 of them is still yet to be fulfilled) as well as the Celeron 300a (my order for 25 of those has yet to be fulfilled either http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) Please remove the derogatory reference link above as it is not needed.

___As far as the screaming deal … for HTPC use it is not. A simple ASUS CUSL2 with a 20 GB/platter 60 GB HD and a PIII 933 w/ 256 MB of CAS2 PC133 from Micron (Gateway does not use CAS2 PC133 in any of their PC’s) will be more of an HTPC platform than this deal IMO. The above with a 300 W Athlon approved PS/case goes for ~ $650.00 to your door. I did not look up the Gateway deal but the last time I checked, Gateway charged $95.00 for shipping a complete PC. Hopefully this would be somewhat less for just the box. Also, would you rather have a 9 GB $130.00 SCSI drive that has maybe 20% faster seek time and 50% slower throughput or a 60 GB ATA 100 Drive for ~ the same price for your HTPC today? Did you see what an ATA Drive performs like on this board by the review I linked? This means unless you like ancient LX chipset like performance from the fastest ATA100 drives available; SCSI drives will be your only alternative until you throw this board away. I do have to wonder how a Promise or Maxtor ATA100 Controller would work however? As far AGP is concerned, you can only hope that the next ATI Radeon II or the GeForce3 will be made available in a non-AGP format. This thing is a poor performer for us HTPC’ers but if you are a server type, it may be right for you.

___You can speak of the deal all you want but for HTPC use, this thing will be a disappointment in almost every comparison.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
I did not look up the Gateway deal but the last time I checked, Gateway charged $95.00 for shipping a complete PC. Hopefully this would be somewhat less for just the box. Also, would you rather have a 9 GB $130.00 SCSI drive that has maybe 20% faster seek time and 50% slower throughput or a 60 GB ATA 100 Drive for ~ the same price for your HTPC today? Did you see what an ATA Drive performs like on this board by the review I linked? This means unless you like ancient LX chipset like performance from the fastest ATA100 drives available; SCSI drives will be your only alternative until you throw this board away.
I bought it specifically for server use. My HTPC is not near this high-end, but it performs its job a lot better than this thing would. And on the other hand, this makes a much better server than my HTPC ever would. MB's with the Serverworks chipset tend to be quite expensive, which is one reason why this is such a good deal.

Quote:
This thing is a poor performer for us HTPC’ers but if you are a server type, it may be right for you.
Bingo.

Quote:
You can speak of the deal all you want but for HTPC use, this thing will be a disappointment in almost every comparison.
Well said. Do NOT buy this for HTPC use! You will be disappointed.

------------------

-Mark

------------------------

-- Yes I'm an addict. --

-- I bought a Color --

-- Analyzer for --

-- 'personal use' --

------------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.