AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I purchased some Monster in-ceiling speakers from a known "accessories" website for cheap. 5 of em for $65. They arrived today and they seem to be pretty good speakers. What I want to do is build cabinets for them. I've thought about speaker building before and am sorta familiar with the process but I've never heard of building cabinets/enclosures for in wall/ceiling speakers.

Will this work? This will be my first attempt at this kind of thing and will appreciate any input you guys may have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeezer /forum/post/15505033

Ok, I purchased some Monster in-ceiling speakers from a known "accessories" website for cheap. 5 of em for $65. They arrived today and they seem to be pretty good speakers. What I want to do is build cabinets for them. I've thought about speaker building before and am sorta familiar with the process but I've never heard of building cabinets/enclosures for in wall/ceiling speakers.

Will this work? This will be my first attempt at this kind of thing and will appreciate any input you guys may have. Thanks.

?

Those are already full range speakers and designed to use your wall cavity as the baffle unless it is in an enclosure already. What are you trying to accomplish?

Brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
They are designed to have an "infinite" enclosure behind them, as well as an "infinite" baffle. They will not sound as they were designed to if you use them in a box. Probably suffer from a lack of lowend (more than if in a ceiling or wall) because of both the internal enclosure size and the baffle size.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeezer /forum/post/15505033

sure it will work. you will need thiele small parameters to design properly your enclosure. once you have them, you can model in winisd or bassboxpro. if you don't know what thiele small parameters are, you need to do some more research. the loudspeaker design cookbook is a good start.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for help guys. It looks like I do some more reading before I attempt this. Again, this is just something to do to pass the time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts