AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two MFW-15's and two Klipsch RF-82's. How nutty would it be to lay the MFW's on their sides and place an RF-82 on top? It gets the subs away from the corners and lets me spread the RF's a little further apart.

I would point the port to the outside for each. The RF-82's horn loaded and should be able to be heard fine from the listening position on the couch.

If this idea is stupid, crazy or maybe not bad let me know. I'm cleaning the room and giving things a try.

Let me know guys!

· Registered
2,043 Posts
i think you'd probably want to angle them down a bit if you did so. give it a shot.

· Premium Member
15,916 Posts
First, from your pic, it looks like the tweeters would be above the top of the display. In general, tweeters should be at ear level, or at a minimum, aimed at ear level.

Second, there would be a significant height differential between the L/R's and the CC. I would only consider doing this if the CC could also be placed above the display.

The other issue wold be vibration. Does the MFW-15 vibrate with high output? If so, you could have your RF-82 "walking" on the sub.

Otherwise, sure, go ahead and try it.

Craig

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/16890629

First, from your pic, it looks like the tweeters would be above the top of the display. In general, tweeters should be at ear level, or at a minimum, aimed at ear level.

Second, there would be a significant height differential between the L/R's and the CC. I would only consider doing this if the CC could also be placed above the display.

The other issue wold be vibration. Does the MFW-15 vibrate with high output? If so, you could have your RF-82 "walking" on the sub.

Otherwise, sure, go ahead and try it.

Craig

All good thoughts, and I thought about these myself, the wife wants the room less cluttered so giving the drastic a try today...

· Premium Member
8,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16890593

i think you'd probably want to angle them down a bit if you did so. give it a shot.

It might be difficult to tilt your mains down sufficiently to bring the tweeters to the correct angle. If you just sit the RF 82 on the MFW, the tweeter level is going to be at least a foot over your head.

Reviews of even $22,000 speakers like the Revel Ultima 2 have noted that the tweeters are so high that the image is higher than they are used to.

The Ultima 2 stands 53 inches tall with the tweeter at the top.

Still, as long as you are very careful moving and setting up your veneer finished subs, you don't have much to lose by trying.

· Registered
2,508 Posts
You could try flipping the mains upside down, bringing the tweeter closer to the height of the center and then do a slight tilt for it to angle up towards the listening position. I know it would look goofy and lower the tweeter, but it would keep the three across the front pretty close to even. As for vibration with the MFW, it is negligible, but I would recommend a mat or cloth between the towers and subs as insurance.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16890728

It might be difficult to tilt your mains down sufficiently to bring the tweeters to the correct angle. If you just sit the RF 82 on the MFW, the tweeter level is going to be at least a foot over your head.

Reviews of even $22,000 speakers like the Revel Ultima 2 have noted that the tweeters are so high that the image is higher than they are used to.

The Ultima 2 stands 53 inches tall with the tweeter at the top.

Still, as long as you are very careful moving and setting up your veneer finished subs, you don't have much to lose by trying.

Agreed, and I do think this is going to both sound and look strange. BUT, I figure once I stack them up the wife will also hear how funky this is and back off this wall. With the RF's on the floor tweeter alignment is perfect, the center is a bit too low but I'm going to try and angle it up a smidge after all this moving around is done.

Good thing is, the wire management will finally be done!

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick /forum/post/16890826

You could try flipping the mains upside down, bringing the tweeter closer to the height of the center and then do a slight tilt for it to angle up towards the listening position. I know it would look goofy and lower the tweeter, but it would keep the three across the front pretty close to even. As for vibration with the MFW, it is negligible, but I would recommend a mat or cloth between the towers and subs as insurance.

Yeah, no way the RF's would sit bare on these finished subs. I think I'm going to try moving the entire entertainment center forward so the subs can be placed where the RF's are now and the mains can be outword, the wife will squak but we'll see, I have everything apart now and cleaning everything, then trying the different placements.

Thanks for the advice guys! Be back shortly.

· Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1720 /forum/post/16890892

you could try putting the subs on the inside of the speakers next to the tv stand. That would move the mains out and bring the subwoofers away from the side walls all at the same time.

Ditto.

I have around 1000 DVDs and they took too much space. We bought a bunch of Case Logic CD binders and moved the DVDs from the cases to the binders and made an XL spreadsheet with the inventory. I just look through the spreadsheet to find a movie. There is some free movie cataloging software that lets you put in the catalog number and it pulls in information about the movie like genre, stars, running time.... We put all the cases into a box in the garage. This would let you remove the DVD stand from the corner.

Not to turn this into a Design 101 thread, but to me, much of the clutter comes from the ceramics placed all over.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16890983

Ditto.

I have around 1000 DVDs and they took too much space. We bought a bunch of Case Logic CD binders and moved the DVDs from the cases to the binders and made an XL spreadsheet with the inventory. I just look through the spreadsheet to find a movie. There is some free movie cataloging software that lets you put in the catalog number and it pulls in information about the movie like genre, stars, running time.... We put all the cases into a box in the garage. This would let you remove the DVD stand from the corner.

Not to turn this into a Design 101 thread, but to me, much of the clutter comes from the ceramics placed all over.

Wife mandate, DVD holders don't move.... ugh...

· Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16891355

Wife mandate, DVD holders don't move.... ugh...

Then tell the wife to set up the room. Always conditions, never solutions.

I didn't say move them, I suggested you remove them. Less clutter, which is your stated objective.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16891509

Then tell the wife to set up the room. Always conditions, never solutions.

I didn't say move them, I suggested you remove them. Less clutter, which is your stated objective.

My suggestion was to remove them and the 55" in favor of a 60",
and a lot of other things. As for the wife setting up the room, can you imagine? Bye bye subs and speakers and hello BOSE cubes and that putrid excuse for a subwoofer...

Nah, I'd rather try and make it work, that wall is supposed to be mine to do with as I please... all married guys chime in now.... yeah right!

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t /forum/post/16891535

It's not easy to please when the WIFE is involved. I know

She keeps saying, really, do we need such large speakers. Her girlfriend has BOSE and they sound fine.. (God how I hate BOSE).

I told her to go move in with her then, make sure to take the cat, the fish and the gerbils, I said it with a big smile.

She didn't laugh, I tried to explain I was kidding..... nope, still not thinking it's funny.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, the wife let me live after the sarcasm I was dishing out.

With the subs where the RF's used to be I'm down 3db from before using the same test material and measurements. The impact during scenes like the Pods emerging in WOTW didn't hit nearly as hard. I know I had gain from the corner placement but did not expect it to lack the impact like it did. I'm going to adjust everything in the AVR and see if measurements have changed...

· Registered
644 Posts
Ya, it was the movement...lol....

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The rat shack meter measures the same from each speaker so nothing different there. It's just not sounding as good this way. I figured it would tighten it up more but alas no. It sure looks better though!

It sounded very good before so going back to that to see if it's just me. Man what a lot of time spent...

· Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16892101

The rat shack meter measures the same from each speaker so nothing different there. It's just not sounding as good this way. I figured it would tighten it up more but alas no. It sure looks better though!

It sounded very good before so going back to that to see if it's just me. Man what a lot of time spent...

That's strange. Over the years, seems many have said that moving the sub inside the mains would tighten it up. Guess it doesn't work in all cases. Looks like it's time for some on-wall speakers.

· Registered
499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16890565

How nutty would it be to lay the MFW's on their sides and place an RF-82 on top?[…]

If this idea is stupid, crazy or maybe not bad let me know. I'm cleaning the room and giving things a try.

Let me know guys!

Retreat to your man-cave until one of you comes to your senses…

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.