AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created an HTPC several months ago. I'm using a 3.00GHz dual core, windows 7 64-bit, 4 gigs of ram, 320 raptor hard drive as primary, ATI 5750. That's the basics. It's connected to my Denon via HDMI. All works well for bitstreaming. (This was my old computer). I use my movies and media center.

My issue is the hard drive space. I have around 400 blu-ray movies and the collection is expanding. I have no shelf room for cases in my place. I'm trying to put the movies on hard drives and put the movies and cases into storage (garage or attic). I currently have 5, 1.5TB hard drives and 2, 2TB hard drives. All of the 1.5 TB hard drives are connected to the motherboard.

The 2TB hard drives are in a little rack (that can hold 5 hard drives) on the floor next to the computer. A power supply is plugged into the rack (on/off switch on the rack) and the hard drives in the rack are connected to the power supply and to a USB hub which connects to the computer. All of the hard drives are independent (letters K-P) no RAID. There are 6 slots for SATA connections on the motherboard.

I figure at least 25 movies a hard drive. This means for 400 movies I'm looking at around 16 hard drives. Can someone help me with this situation? Do I hook all of the additional hard drives to USB hubs via daisy chain? How does one go about hooking up so many hard drives to a single computer? Any insight into this issue or link to another forum thread on this issue would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
USB is going to be too slow for BD streaming IMO, someone correct me if this is wrong. You need a RAID solution of some sort (there are tons of options), and I'd suggest putting them all in a separate media server.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19535308

USB is going to be too slow for BD streaming IMO, someone correct me if this is wrong. You need a RAID solution of some sort (there are tons of options), and I'd suggest putting them all in a separate media server.

umm....no. USB works fine for BD. I use a 1TB Fantom Drives External Drive for some of my BDs & HD-DVDs (uncompressed 1:1 copies) and it works just fine over USB.

I guess what OP has is one of those Sans Digital or Rosewill 5 bay enclosures.

OP, if you get the 8-bay enclosure, it comes with a eSata connection and a matching port multiplier card to install in your PC. Sata will give you better speeds than USB if you want it.

Since you already have the 5-bay, try it out. It should work, but if it doesn't then upgrade to the 8-bay with eSata. It comes up for sale every now and then for $230.
Rosewill 8-bay
Sans Digital 8-bay

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The USB solution is working fine but it isn't pretty. I wasn't sure if there was a more elegant way of doing things. I'm using a SANS DIGITAL HDDRACK5 5-Bay with sata to USB converter cables. I like the look of the rosewill. It keeps everything in a nice little package. I only have access to 1 pci-e slot on my motherboard. The Rosewill would allow me to access the 8 drives by SATA but I'd be stuck after that. Any chance there is an elegant USB solution or could I connect the Rosewill via USB?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Have you considered building a dedicated media server? Using a product like Unraid you'd gain redundancy, can add additional drives as you go, or even replace existing drives with larger ones and have it rebuild the data that was there. Plus all the drives can appear as a single share, rather then 8-16 different drive letters.

http://lime-technology.com/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley /forum/post/19535614

Have you considered building a dedicated media server? Using a product like Unraid you'd gain redundancy, can add additional drives as you go, or even replace existing drives with larger ones and have it rebuild the data that was there. Plus all the drives can appear as a single share, rather then 8-16 different drive letters.

http://lime-technology.com/

That looks interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19535308

USB is fast enough. At most, Blu-ray is only 50Mbps. You also do not need a RAID solution. I second the suggestion for putting them in a separate media server. I personally like unRAID.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SANS DIGITAL TR8U-B 8 Bay SATA to USB 2.0 JBOD looks interesting. I'd be able to have 8 drives that are not in raid and it all connects via 1 usb cable. I may give this a shot. There a number of reviews of shoddy construction but for the price of $200-300 it is up my ally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.