AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting the DMRE20 but I'd like to be able to capture to DVD-RAM before I archive on DVD-R without going through another conversion. Clearly this doesn't work without another device.

The Panasonic site says that the files are readable on a PC with the correct software but is a bit obscure about this fact.

Does anyone know if this is possible with a DVD-RAM/DVD-R recorder like the Que recorders? The PC could be used to buffer the data and trade out the disks.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
kelliot,

You could put the new Panasonic DVD-RAM/DVD-R standalone drive in a computer. Then you could record to DVD-RAM, then edit your recordings with editing software on the PC, and then burn the finished product to DVD-R on the PC.

Frankly, you could do the same thing with an MPEG-2 capture card on a computer and forego the DMR-E20.

This is what I have been doing for the past year. But I am going with the E20 anyway. The problem I was dealing with is time. I have a Pinnacle Systems DC1000 capture card and a DVD-R burner and use Adobe Premiere 6.0 for editing. I put this rig together to capture my favorite TV shows and archive them the both hard disk and DVD-R. But the editing process, exporting, and authoring took up too much of my precious time. I have a friend who has had the DMR-E10 for about six months and have always envied the speed with which he could do commerical edits with the device. I would have bought one myself if the cost of media were more economical.

I have a Panasonic DVD RP-91 and will add the DMR-E20. My plan is to record my shows on DVD-RAM in XP mode and then edit the commericals out. Then I will play them on the RP-91 and record them to DVD-R on the DMR-E20. There will be some loss, true, but I seriously doubt that I will even notice it. At least that's my hope.

--Jerome

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is another way - the latest pansonic DMR-HS1 which has a 40g hard disk, DVD-ram and DVD-r recording. Released here in Tokyo for December, and already a street price of just above USD 1000 (about Yen137000). Just record to hard dik then put it on dvd-ram or dvd-r.... must be the way to go..... forget the PC option.

cheers

adam

PS here is a link
http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/new...n010926-3.html

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You could record them to dvd-ram and then 'rip' the files from it on a pc and record those back to a dvd-r. Two problems with this, you must also have a dvd recorder in your pc and you can't exceed two hours on a dvd-r.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.