AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have e-mailed NEC tech support a couple of weeks ago but have not received a response. i am trying to get native resolution 1365x768 via a

CS-2 to a NEC MP1 61 inch plasma. i started with the supplied CS-2 1366x768 and changed the polairty to POS/POS but not sure what to do with the other variables. i thought i would try a new custom resolution but i understand that the plasma may never achieve native resolution.

i need these and the ones described below.

Horizontal Total (Dots) Vertical Total (Lines)

Horizontal Active (Dots) Vertical Active (Lines)

Horizontal Sync Width (Dots) Vertical Sync Width (Lines)

Horizontal Back Porch (Dots) Vertical Back Porch (Lines)

Sync Polarity (+/-) Output Mode (RGB ot YrPrPb)

Refresh Rate Hz

Horizontal Total:

This parameter describes the total number of pixels or "dots" on a line. This value includes the pixels you can see, and the pixels you can't see. Currently, this value must be between 800 and 2047, which are the practical limits.

Horizontal Active:

This parameter describes the total number of pixels or "dots" on a line that you CAN see. It does not include the pixels in the blanking period (which contains the front porch, back porch and sync width). This value must be less than 2046.

Horizontal Sync Width:

This parameter is the number of pixels that define the width of the sync pulse. (The sync pulse is the signal that tells the display it has reached the end of the line and should start a new line.) This value must be greater than 4 and less than (HTotal-HActive-2).

Horizontal Back Porch:

This parameter is the number of pixels that define the gap between the end of sync and the start of active video. This value must be between 1 and (HTotal-HActive)-(HSyncWidth)-1.

Horizontal Front Porch:

Why isn't there a box for Horizontal Front Porch? Well, once you know the above four values, you already know the value of the front porch!

Vertical Total:

This parameter describes the total number of lines in a complete video frame. This value includes the lines you can see, and the lines you can't see. Currently, this value must be less than 2047.

Vertical Active:

This parameter describes the total number of lines that you CAN see. It does not include the lines in the blanking period (which contains the front porch, back porch and sync width). This value must be less than 2046.

Vertical Sync Width:

This parameter is the number of lines that define the width of the sync pulse. (The sync pulse is the signal that tells the display it has reached the end of the video frame and should start a new frame.) This value must be less than (VTotal-VActive-2).

Vertical Back Porch:

This parameter is the number of lines that define the gap between the end of sync and the start of active video. This value must be less than (VTotal-VActive)-(VSyncWidth).

Vertical Front Porch:

Why isn't there a box for Vertical Front Porch? Well, once you know the above four values, you already know the value of the front porch!

Sync Polarity:

The sync polarity describes whether the sync pulse goes negative or positive. Most displays have specific settings that they will accept for certain resolutions, and often this forms a method of signaling the display what the resolution should be. Each sync, H and V, can be set independently to be positive or negative.

Output Mode:

Displays can generally accept RGB and/or YPrPb inputs. Your display may accept both types of inputs, but often there are restrictions on aspect ratios and resolutions, so research this closely. Choose either RGB or YPrPb from the pull down box.

Refresh Rate:

Currently the CenterStage can run at the following 4 refresh rates: 50Hz, 60Hz, 72Hz, and 75Hz. 50Hz, 60Hz, and 75Hz are recommended output frequencies for 50Hz input sources (PAL), and 60Hz and 72Hz are recommended for 60Hz input sources (NTSC).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Does the stock 1366x768 work for you?

If not your best bet is to find the highest stock res that does.

Next run the CSR program with CS-2 hooked up and choose edit resolution and select that res that does work for you.

Leave the Horiz & Vert Total Line boxes alone, those are probably the most lines your monitor can do.

Now change the Horiz active and Vert active boxes to 1365and 768, then put a 1 in the version box, next put the name of your new res in the Save As box with a _ at the start of the name.

Ok now hit the create button, if you get a pop up box that say Invalid sync width or back porch you will have to change the number in the corresponding box, start with 0 and keep changing it until it works.

You may have to do both sync's and porch settings before you can finally add the resolution.

Using this method you can probably exceed 1365x768, I have found that you can come with in 3vert lines and 8 horiz of the total lines, here is an example of my custom 1122i I made by editing 1080i.

Stock 1080i:

1100 Horiz & 1125 Vert Total

960 Horiz & 1080 Vert active

Horiz sync =32

Horiz porch=28

Vert snyc = 10

Vert porch=30

Custom 1122i

1100 Horiz & 1125 Vert Total

1092 Horiz & 1122 Vert active

Horiz sync =4

Horiz porch=1

Vert snyc = 1

Vert porch=1

As you can see the Sync's and the Porch settings changed big time, there is probably a mathematical equation to these settings but I have no clue what it would be so like I said start with 0 and go from there. I also used this method to create a beautiful looking 560p, so experiment away who knows what you might come up with.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the 1366x768 does work but i do not achieve native resolution. i have a custom _1368x768 resolution started and only changed the Sync Polarity to POS/POS and 1366 to 1368. the sync polarity for 1360x768 i found in the NEC user manual.

thanks for the input !! - i am a little afraid to use the trail & error method sicne the CS-2 tips say do not do it unless you know what you are doing. obviously i do not know what i am doing.

i hope to receive a response from NEC related to the proper settings.\\

i guess you must be running ok. the CS-2 gives a warning that a custom 1080i (HDTV) will not have the Tri-Sync settings so it will be at the users risk to copy and create their own --------

:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Response from NEC Tech Support related to CS-2 and native resolution:

In this case, you will need to tell the plasma that the signal is 1366x768.

Select "Wide 1" under "OPTION", "RGB SELECT"

The Plasma does report 1360x765/1360x768 when this is selected on the plasma. Someone else on the forum indicated this should not have to be done to achieve native resolution. So far it is the only response I have received from NEC Tech support. I have asked a very detail question related to the specifications that can be inout into the CS-2. I hope to receive a more detailed reponse than the one above.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New Update from NEC Tech Support for Updating CS-2 Line Scaler

Timing Name 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz

HorPixels = 1360; // Pixels

VerPixels = 768; // Lines

HorFrequency = 47.712; // kHz = 21.0; // usec / line

VerFrequency = 60.015; // Hz = 16.7; // msec / frame

PixelClock = 85.500; // MHz = 11.7; // nsec±0.5%

CharacterWidth = 8; // Pixels = 93.6; // nsec