AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to purchasing the Audigy Platinum, Creative assured me that the card would work with XP. Of course it didn't. Calling tech support I learn that the drivers will be released no later than the release for XP itself. Well of course XP was released and no SB drivers. Hercules, ATI and pretty much every other reliable company has released drivers for XP. I can't understand how Creative maintains superior market share with a product that always has problems. It will certainly be the last time I ever purchase a Creative product.

Well enough venting for now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
/start rant

I have a Creative SB-Live, And it is now working fine now with my new computer/HTPC (VIA chipset). But when I first got it, I had nothing but problems with win98 and my VIA chipset. I had static in all games I played, very annoying, not just quiet static, but LOUD static. Winamp and everything else was fine. On the box it says "Intel or 100% compatible motherboard chipset" I have/had a VIA chipset, it is 100% compatible, at least that what it says.

This was a known problem with this card, many people on the SB newsgroup run by creative had this problem, and the guy who ran the forum (Harvey? [SP]) hardly even responded to it, he would just blame it on other cards in the computer, etc. etc. I said in the newsgroup, to him, Why not put on the box that it has known problems with the VIA chipsets? no dice. It is a reasonable request when paying for a product that *should* work if they say it will. I am very unhappy with them still, and will never recommend a product of theirs, and that is a shame for them, I help A LOT of people build computers. Although the amount of products I recommend is still miniscule, it is money they will never get, and I am happy with that. I know Creative will be going for a long time, but I really think that the only people that will byufrom them in the near future will be companies such as Dell and Gateway. You can get better cards for less money anyway.

My advice, DO NOT BUY CREATIVE. Horrid customer service, and even worse products.

/end rant

But I will add that once / if they work, they work good.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Although I have owned 2 Creative cards and not had too many problems I have to say that as a company I've been very disappointed. I have never got any of my DOS games to work with their cards (although they work fine on cheaper cards). When I mailed them about this they kept blaming my setup or hardware conflicts. I'm getting concerned that yet another area of electronics will go the whole VHS/Betamax, Windows/Mac way and have potentially better products beaten out of the market by the power of large multinationals.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___Knuck: You are speaking about Harvey Wong.

___New drivers for the Live’s including the Audigy under XP have been released as already mentioned. Support for games all the way back to at least DirectX 3.0 using earlier Live Ware packages has been solid for me w/ the Live Value’s using 98 – Millennium. These have always been Intel inside HTPC’s until very recently however. The Live’s were not as solid under Windows 2000 nor under XP until some of the recently leaked XP beta’s IMO. Just do a Live Update and you should run right into the XP drivers if you are running XP.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Creative driver download page for the Live! Value indicates that Live!Ware 3 must be installed before the new driver is added. My question is, which version of Live!Ware 3 are they referring to? Is a special XP version required or is the Win2K version OK?

Colin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.