AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to pull the Xcapture card and was thinking about the Creative DVCR. What software comes with this and what are the opinions out there about it? How does the scheduling work? I do not need a EPG, but I need to manually set times for the captures.

I am going to do a little more research before I buy another capture card and this the reason for asking these questions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a Creative capture card and gave it up to use the XCapture. Converting the Creative captures is a tedious hit-or-miss deal. The picture quality seems to be much better with the XCapture and video compression is much easier.

I use iuVCR for captures. It "usually" works almost flawlessly, but I'm using a slightly older version than the one currently out. (1.4GHz Athlon with 512MB of DDR RAM and a 7200rpm drive and Win98se). Other solutions exist for those using later versions of Windows and the unlimited file system.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I have the D-VCR card. I love the software for watching television. Other than not having an EPG, every easy to set up to record and playback. Watching recorded shows, as well as the PVR "pause live television" features work great. Everything flows through the included remote control and is very intuitive. The one drawback is that the quality isn't amazing, and the better your display device, the more this shows.

However, for archiving the software is annoying. It doesn't create mpeg files. It uses some other format. To get mpegs, you need to run an included separate program. The file conversion program works, but it's a bit odd. For starters, it is unable to open a file. You have to open an Explorer windows and drag files into it. It does work and is fine for rare occations, but I would look elsewhere if you goal is archiving.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You may want to check the www.freytechnologies.com sageTV (built in EPG and PVR scheduling) and SageRecorder (a digital VCR) apps. I -think- their software is working with the D-VCR and I believe they even allow you to capture to dvd compliant mpeg2.

Another nice thing with their software is they allow you to select the mpeg2 decoders you want to use and they allow the use of things like reclock for audio rendering.

I use SageRecorder with my PVR250 and I've been happy with it.

Al

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm a little confused by Sage website. John, you use Sagerecorder with D-VCR beta 1.2. Can you download a trial version of the Beta?

·
Registered
109 Posts
After you download the trial version, you'll get a support email a day or two later with information on the latest beta version. In the meantime, feel free to send an email to us at [email protected] and we can give you the private link.

Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
No we only support MPEG-2 Hardware compression based cards like the PVR-250 or the VBDVCR card.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Does SageTV allow for easy sharing of video files over a network?

Will it easily support a remote control/IR blaster capabilities?

Thanks,

Ralph

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ralphjb
Does SageTV allow for easy sharing of video files over a network?
You can use multiple drives on a PC or across a network to store and access files for SageTV. You can view those files back using any MPEG-2 Player like WinDVD from other computers on the network. We are currently working on (and should be beta ready soon) a networked version of SageTV that will support viewing recorded files anywhere on a network using the SageTV application. SageTV would get loaded on any computer on the network where you want to view video from. We will also support scheduling recordings from anywhere on the network.

Quote:
Originally posted by ralphjb
Will it easily support a remote control/IR blaster capabilities?
Yes, SageTV supports the use of the Remote controls that ship with the compatible TV tuner cards or through the use of any remote control using Girder or through the IRMan. We also support the control of set-top cable/satellite receivers through the IR-200L or serial cable.

Dan

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I looked at CompUSA last week. they do not list the DVCR as a item that they sell. I bought mine 6 months ago from them, it might be worth a store visit. The only place that I found on the web to purchase one was directly from Creative Labs.

I believe the EPG is only available with SageTV, not SageRecorder. There is a montly fee for the EPG. You can find other EPGs at the x-epg site above that will work with the DVCR card.

My only real complaint with the card is how hard it is to go to full screen display with the remote - it should be a single button click!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have the software that comes with the card set to display at full screen, it'll display that way as soon as you bring the card out of standby.

Unless you're talking about using the card with Sage....

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cellarboy
If you have the software that comes with the card set to display at full screen, it'll display that way as soon as you bring the card out of standby.

Unless you're talking about using the card with Sage....
Are you actually making recording for a later playback with this card? If so what additional software will I need to do this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.