AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this model in Best Buy selling for about $149. It comes with a PCB for the digital sound out and I think S out. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this unit? Who makes the drive for CL?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If this is a dxr3 based encore kit, you can safely keep your money in your wallet. This is not a bad combination if you need the DVD out for s-video, but for that kind of money you can get a standalone DVD player that doesn't require all the extra steps of setting up a HTPC.

That is the real point. If you are looking to build a HTPC your money would be better spent just buying a standard DVD-ROM drive. You can get those for less than $50. The Encore kits do not have the features that make them desirable for home theater use. No progressive output, and the dxr3 scalar for computer monitor playback is not very good by todays standards. You may not be too concerned with all of this technical stuff, but if you are I can safely say that even a modest computer with a DVD-ROM drive and pretty much any software based DVD player, with a modern low cost graphics card like the Geforce2 MX, Radeon LE or VE, will outperform this combination.

When you get a chance, look for the HTPC FAQ that is posted on this forum. It provides a great introduction to HTPC. This FAQ covers all the bases so you will see the good points, the bad points, and all points in between. It's a lot to digest, but it well worth the effort.

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 05-09-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.