AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Not for me, but interesting. At least it has an SPDIF output. For me, a couple of its shortcomings are:
  • Can only be controlled with its RF remote, since the remote contains the only UI display--no display on the unit, no TV GUI. The display on the remote is cool, but I use an expensive universal that I want to use for everything.
  • For some strange reason, can only handle WMA up to 192 Kbps. With my Audiotron, I use VBR WMA which exceeds that limit, through a 802.11b bridge in my living room.

Actually, if you get rid of the WMA limitation, and give it the Audiotron's penultimately elegant LAN-node/SMB-client media library access (no special software running on the PC, accesses files by mounting SMB shared directories--mutiple directories on multiple PCs, if you want), it would be a very decent satellite node design, for the bedroom, etc. Pair it with a matching bookshelf receiver/amp and speakers, and I'd buy it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
No option for a wired network and no video/jpeg streaming due to lack of video out. I guess it would be perfect for a den, patio, garage, etc where you just need music. I doubt if you could replace the remote with a universal one since the LCD display is needed.

As mentioned in the other thread it just seems like every product is missing some feature that keeps it from being "da bomb" :(

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
once these things drop in price substantially, you will be able to buy one the way you buy a boom box. then the shortcomings won't matter.

at a better price this device would be perfect for the bedroom.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This seems like a good soluiton for me since i have whole-whose speaker distribution that originates from my living room. With this I could put the Wireless Music device in my living room, and then be in any room in the house and control the music via the RF remote.

Does anyone have the unit? I wonder how good the UI in the remote is. A small review would be much appreciated.

I am also concerned it doesn't handle WMA with DRM.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just picked up one of these at Circuit City.

Installed the software on my main PC in the house. Upgraded the firmware for the box, and pluged it in to the stereo. The setup is a snap, took me less than 10 minutes to have all my music available on my stereo.

Having the display on the remote is the selling point for me. I can be anywhere in the house and control my music. And since I have speakers in every room in my house, that makes it really nice.

I've heard complaints about the display being slow, but with the upgraded firmware (I didn't try before the firmware upgrade so I can't comment on the difference), it seems perfectly responsive to me. I only have around 500 songs in my ripped collection right now, so its still small. I'm going to rip more music and see how it handles my whole collection which should be several thousand songs.

So far its working out really nicely. As I play with it over the next week I'll give a more detailed review.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi all,

Have been looking at this unit recently. The Creative Labs website on-line store has a $50 mail-in rebate if you buy from the store. At $200 plus shipping, it is not a bad buy. Also, it seems to have a built-in WiFi receiver which will save some cash as the other units require a WiFi receiver or a hard LAN connection.

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Can anyone post a picture or describe the remote of this device. In particular, how many characters does it display (can you see whole song titles, etc)? Does it have a continuous update such that it indicates the currently playing song? Is it easy to do random play within a whole genre? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some more feedback on the device and answering crbaldwin's questions.

One thing I don't like is the range of the RF Remote. Being RF I was expecting to use it throughout my house. The wireless music reciever is plugged in downstairs in my house but when I go upstairs half of the space I have upstairs cannot use the remote. I have a reasonably small house (2500sq ft). I would say the range of the remote is fair, but not very good.

The other thing I notice is that the remote does tend to get locked up or delayed from time to time. For instance if i'm scrolling through songs quickly, it puts up an hour glass cursor occasionally. This is pretty infrequent, and when the remote does get delayed usually within a second or two its responsive again. Although this is annoying its a fairly minor shortcoming and it doesn't bother me too much.

To answer CRBalwin's questions:

1) The display on the remote is pretty straightforward. It has an icon channel along the leftside that displays battery life, mode (repeat, random, etc), and current operation (play, stop, pause, fwd, etc...). In addition to the icon area, there is a six line text display with about 25 characters per line (this is a guess). Once you scroll to an item that has more characters than are displayable, after a few seconds, it starts scrolling the text horizontally so you can read the remaining part of the item.

2) The navigation is simple. There are buttons to get to 3 top level displays - Now Playing, Menu, Library. From within each of these top level displays you can drill in further by selecting an item.

Here is what the drill-down hierarchy looks like from the 3 top-level butotns.

+Menu

++Favorite Playlists

++Music Library (below this is same as library section)

++System

++++Information

++++Reboot

+Library

++Smart Playlists

++Playlists

++Artists

++Albums

++Genres

++All Tracks

+Now Playing (clicking once shows current track, clicking again shows entire current playlist)

Based on the experience I've had so far I'm going to keep the device simply for the convenience of having the display on the remote. It clearly can be improved in some areas, but its usable enough to warrant the $250 I spent on it. I'm hoping with future firmware upgrades it will get better as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This device seems to be superior to the Linksys Wireless B Media Adapter, though I would like to ask the forum if it supports various jukebox players or is one stuck with the imbedded Creative player? I have "standardized" on Media Jukebox throughout my home music network and am loath to give it up. Thanks,

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe it relies on the Creative Music Organizer - I didn't get an impression it supported anything else when i set it up. You could still use the other jukebox to organize/edit your music collection, and just do a "sync" in the Creative application from time to time.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I LOVE this device! Just got it for Christmas. Included is a picture of the remote. I've imported over 4000 tracks and it has no problem managing them. I have another 3000 to go.

Some cool features:

When a title is too long is scrolls the title.

You can create playlists on the fly. Basically, you can go to select other tracks and add them to the queue while your current track and queue still plays (select by going to any of the following, genre, artist,album or track and pressing/hold down the play button till the queue message appears).

Kinda don't like that you can't scroll through artist, album without first selecting a letter of the alphabet, however, you can get around that by going through the genres. Then the list comes up in artist/album/track. It would have been better if they had let you set this up as an option. Also, individual letters is kinda stupid. How bout ABC, then DEF, etc.

Can fast forward/rewind (haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it works).

Has smart playlists. Can create playlist automatically by any number of criteria (genre, artist, music beat, etc.). Haven't tried that yet either but it looks promising.

Uses same media organizer I use for my Nomad Zen.

Can link up with up to 4 other units to provide whole house sound for those of us that don't have speakers wired throughout the house (BTW: This could possibly be one way to get around the limit range of the remote. I know, you have to buy another unit, but hey, it's only money
)

Finally, the media manager software is stable and I think well laid out. I have a lot of songs that I've downloaded and the Media Manger software is making it very easy for me to add/repair the ID3 tags.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
In particular, how many characters does it display (can you see whole song titles, etc)? Does it have a continuous update such that it indicates the currently playing song? Is it easy to do random play within a whole genre? Thanks for any information.
Should have put this in previouse post. Answer to above. yes to all

·
Registered
90 Posts
One other way of getting around the selecting a letter before going to artist or album is to just select the first letter in the list. Even though you select a letter, the subsequent list show all artist or albums and you can scroll through them.

When the music library gets big (I have close to 1000 songs right now) having the letter selection first does speed up navigation quite a bit so I do like it.

Overall I'm really strating to enjoy this device, only thing I wish for is better range on the RF remote.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I now ripped all of my CDs and have over 4300 songs. I like having the ability to search by letter.

I have been disappointed by the short range of the remote as well. I have noticed if you place the remote on a table it works better from a distance (ma-by the table is enhancing the antenna).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
I now ripped all of my CDs and have over 4300 songs. I like having the ability to search by letter.
My bad. Once I realized it conitnues scrolling beyond the selected letter, I concur, the letter selection is quite usable.

I'm not having much problem with the range of the remote but I also never intend to be more than 20' from the base unit.

I did find one major bug (I think?). When selecting a genre from the remote, it not only pulls in all songs marked with that genre, but if the artist has other songs that are in other genres it also pulls them in. Kinda bad if you only want to listen to Christmas Music. I found this out when I tried to select a genre hat had only 440 titles and the console starting showing added titles that increased to well over 1400 titles. Eventually the whole thing pukes and I had to do a reset on the server and the box.

Adding genres in the server itself does not exhibit this problem. Hope they fix this. But, that said, this is the first networked MP3 player I can live with. Overall, I rate it 4.5 out 5.

I'm really looking forward to this summer were I can take this unit, set it up by my Jacuzzi with the CreativeLabs travel speakers, sitting back in my lounge chair (or in the Jacuzzi) drinking adult beverages and having complete control of the music I want to listen to.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many of the shortcomings of the products indicated in this thread can be eliminated by using a cheap laptop with an external sound card attached to host server over Wi-Fi; other end to room audio equipment. End result is total control over files using jukebox player of choice. Sure, more costly than the alternatives mentioned herein, but there's a price associated with the inability to effectively manage one's music. Give me a full screen, keyboard, and local control, and I'm happy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Duesy-

What external sound card do you recommend? I've been looking for one with digital audio outputs.

-Skip

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.