AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after months of searching (and figuring out what I really need), I found an IR based non-bluetooth Universal TV Remote Control with a builtin QWERTY keyboard .

Unfortunately, this remote control will NOT turn on/off multiple devices like my current Universal Remote control. It can send 1 IR command of my choice designated for Power ON/OFF.

If this remote control can only send one IR command to my HTPC extender for Power ON/OFF toggle, how can I automate powering OFF/ON my TV and audio amplifier as well using IR?

I vaguely remember there being a self-contained device that can listen for a specific IR command and send other IR commands to other devices.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, should I put the Logitech Harmony remote control on the floor near my extender in hopes it will receive the signal sent from the remote control I'm actually going to use?
You might want to read my post carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
Sure. I use the Logitech Harmony Remote. One button turns everything On (e.g. for example the "Movie" button tuns on the Receiver and sets its output to DVD, then TV turns on and swichws to HDMI input). Same for OFF.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My original post says "self contained" meaning, no PC involved. USB-UIRT needs a PC. I only have an extender in the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick
USB UIRT.. I plan to get one as soon as I get a tablet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET
So, should I put the Logitech Harmony remote control on the floor near my extender in hopes it will receive the signal sent from the remote control I'm actually going to use?
Sorry. I gotta back off on the allergy meds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET
Given the low likelihood of finding a creative/simple solution for your problem regarding that remote you might want to keep the Harmony remote in the back of your mind.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. But, I dont see how the harmony remote would help in any way.

I'm pretty sure there's a device that does what I'm looking for; and, hoping this thread might catch the attention of someone who know the name of this device. I'm guessing it might be some obscure device sold only in Asia/Europe in limited quantities.

Alternatively, I can fast forward into the future when it's more common for Universal Remote Controls to have slideout QWERTY keyboards for On Demand Youtube/Movie/Music searching on cable/satellite/media extender STBs.

UPDATE: In the interim, I'm going to look for a cheap/small Android based tablet (6" or so). My extender supports web-based control as well as android based apps to control it. This might work very well if I can find a wifi android tablet cheap enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71
Given the low likelihood of finding a creative/simple solution for your problem regarding that remote you might want to keep the Harmony remote in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
UIRT2 (not the USB UIRT.) It was the forebearer of the USB uirt and had provisions for programming specific actions (IR commands, activate relays, etc.) Based on an incoming IR signal. You need a PC to program it, but it should run standalone after that. I haven't used mine in a long time, but it really increases the functionality of a "dumb" remote.

Don't know if the schematics are still around, but some deep Google investigation should find it.

Alternatively, I'm sure you could do everything you want and more with a basic Arduino kit.there'd probably much more support on the net for Arduino now than there ever was for a UIRT2.

-Suntan

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for explaining. I'm actually looking for something that's as close to plug 'n play as possible. I just want to plug it in to power, and have it learn 3 IR signals (one to listen for and two to transmit).

I just remembered though, the device I had seen before was a smart powerstrip; which didnt care about IR signals. Where it detects when the TV is on or off; and cuts/returns power to subordinate devices respectively. This would allow for my remote control to only use one IR code for the Power button (for TV set); and, subordinate devices on the powerstrip would follow. This seems to do what I need it to do. Although, I'm not sure if it would reduce the life of the elecrtonics by abruptly cutting the power and returning power. They are surge protectors; so, one would think it would be completely safe using it's own internal power switch.

http://www.wiringdigest.com/article.php?id=20&catID=2
"Once the TV is off, there is no need for the other devices to be on. So, the TV is plugged into the control outlet of the smart power strip, while the accessories are plugged to the connected (subordinate) outlets. When power goes above a preset threshold on the control outlet, this indicates that the TV has been turned on, and power is automatically switched on to the outlets controlling the accessories. When the TV is turned off (goes into standby mode), its power consumption drops. The circuitry detects this and cuts power to all subordinate outlets."

EDIT: Nevermind, that Smart powerstrip wasn't a good idea. I tried simulating cutting off the power to the "subordinate" devices mentioned above; and, when I returned power to them, one still expected me to press the Power button and the other device took forever to completely boot up. So, back to square one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
UIRT2 (not the USB UIRT.) It was the forebearer of the USB uirt and had provisions for programming specific actions (IR commands, activate relays, etc.) Based on an incoming IR signal. You need a PC to program it, but it should run standalone after that. I haven't used mine in a long time, but it really increases the functionality of a "dumb" remote.

Don't know if the schematics are still around, but some deep Google investigation should find it.

Alternatively, I'm sure you could do everything you want and more with a basic Arduino kit.there'd probably much more support on the net for Arduino now than there ever was for a UIRT2.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
something like the MSC-400 might do what you are looking for...

·
Registered
959 Posts
There's a lot of devices out there that can do just what you want, unfortunately most them are part of home automation systems so there very expensive and it would probably be more cost effective to just upgrade you TV to one that supports sending commands to other other devices even if you just power on/off for TV power toggle and input change if you happen to be planning/wanting a TV upgrade in the near future. There may be some companies that make cheap IR controllers/transmitters that will do what you need but I don't know of any that are programmable to use w/ any remote.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.