AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creative has released their new x-fi line of cards at different price points. I've been running an audigy 2 zs in 6.1 and been enjoying it a great deal. I will probably upgrade as x-fi is supported by BF2 (I know I'm a sucker). Has anyone tried one of these cards yet?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673
Creative has released their new x-fi line of cards at different price points. I've been running an audigy 2 zs in 6.1 and been enjoying it a great deal. I will probably upgrade as x-fi is supported by BF2 (I know I'm a sucker). Has anyone tried one of these cards yet?
If it's purely for gaming, I would wait until there are actual performance benchmarks for games that utilize the X-Fi's X-RAM. For now, you are better off upgrading other aspects of your computer if need be. If you must buy one now, DO NOT buy the music or platinum cards, as these cards don't have X-RAM.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would go for the $129 version, that's reasonable.

I do wonder if the onboard ram makes much difference. Either way I wouldn't pay $300 for a sound card.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
I would go for the $129 version, that's reasonable.

I do wonder if the onboard ram makes much difference. Either way I wouldn't pay $300 for a sound card.
For gaming, there is absolutely no use for the first two models of X-Fi cards when you already have an Audigy 2 ZS. There should be no discernable difference between EAX 4.0 HD and EAX 5.0. You should wait and see what X-RAM can do, and how far the prices will drop.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if they do. Of course the earlier cards don't so I kind of doubt it. On the other hand EAX on nearly all new games is 24 bit where DD is only 16 bit if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That's too bad, I run audio through my HT receiver so DDL is on my 'must' list for any new sound card.

Guess the X-Mystique and montega are still the only options.. Is the market for this feature really that small??

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
Do any of the new X-Fi cards do dolby digital live encoding?
No, but an external device does DTS encoding that maintains 24 bit integrity. Of course this works for the Audigy 2 as well.

YOU CAN SEE IT HERE

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
External device? Ridiculous! Is this 1998???
I know, but that's the only way to go if you want analog multi-channel EAX 4.0 and 5.0 to multi-channel digital. The thing that worries me is the latency that this device can cause.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
I know, but that's the only way to go if you want analog multi-channel EAX 4.0 and 5.0 to multi-channel digital. The thing that worries me is the latency that this device can cause.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
The thing that worries me is the latency that this device can cause.
And the price, which I can't seem to locate. Did I miss it, or is it not on the website?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
And the price, which I can't seem to locate. Did I miss it, or is it not on the website?
The press release states that it will be released in September at a cost of $99.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting bit of hardware.

Don't most DTS equipped receivers have a multi-channel in though? I've never really understood why it is a big deal to have a DD optical signal, unless the multi-channel in is being used I guess.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Interesting bit of hardware.

Don't most DTS equipped receivers have a multi-channel in though? I've never really understood why it is a big deal to have a DD optical signal, unless the multi-channel in is being used I guess.
The problem is that Creative's cards have a problem where using their analog outs to an AV receiver's analog inputs results in undesired bass management, and/or ground loop problems. This device supposedly fixes the issue of bass management and obviously eliminates the possibility of ground loops.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have never had ground loop problems but the bass managment is weird. Sub volume is usually very low. I thought that it was just me. Has anyone tried an x-fi card? Is it any better?

·
Registered
467 Posts
RE: sub volume very low.

Is there a fix for this? I have the audigy 2 platinum connected to the receiver with the analog outs, setup as 5.1.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.