AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I believe it, but I went to Yahoo shopping and searched for "creative x-fi" and came up with a company that claims to have the Xtreme Music and Platinum versions of X-Fi "In stock."

I thought they weren't released yet. :confused:

Must be bogus. If I ordered one, they'd probably say it was on "backorder" :p

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was in my local Best Buy this evening and they do have the three versions of the X-Fi on the store shelfs. $20.00 OVER MSRP too! :eek:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Is this really worth spending that much to upgrade a sound card?? I pass through my HTPC audio to my receiver via coax. I use onboard sound and don't think I'm missing much. I know the X-Fi takes a bit of the load off the CPU but at $99-$200 I think that's nuts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on what you need.

For movies, you don't need the X-Fi -- all the sound info is already recorded on the disc in digital form -- simply send it to your receiver.

If you want the best sound for gaming, on the other hand, you need a good sound card, since it's the sound card that produces the sound -- it's not already encoded.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
@S1DIMMER

If you only use your HTPC for music and movies, yes there are much better options out there, many of which are much cheaper.

If you also game with your setup, then this is an important component to discuss.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I game from time to time and my receiver sends the signals to all channels, it's not actual surround but seems like it. I just don't see the need to buy such an expensive sound option. Maybe if it made my movies or music sound better?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
You can easily spend $500 on a video card for a gaming rig. Heck you can spend a couple hundred on cooling systems for your gaming rig...

The XFi is what it is, its not the best choice for for music and video, but for games it has its place.

-Suntan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.