AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Made trip to Hancock Fabrics today and purchased some black AT velvet to replace the paper that was behind the screen - something I said I wouldn't do
Quick question: how did you know the velvet was AT? Some specific specifications? Did a blow test? It was labeled such?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Slight camera/phone blur likely the result of you shivering/shaking to get fiberglass out of eyes, lungs.
Don't forget to tell us how much more velvety it sounds with paper off!
PS This first post in your thread probably shouldn't have been -7db in tone...so let me say the Creekside Stone Cinema is spectacular! Removing the paper exemplifies the attention to detail you have shown at every moment of planning, execution, and now, "post-production." It shows in all the visuals and must be revealed even more moment-by-moment with every movie seen/heard. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks Uncle Q. I only watched 1 movie this weekend (booo), couldn't tell much on the sound but whether it is a mental thing or not, the picture looked darker.

Not just the bottom, there is a top above the crossbar too! ;)
I have already made up my mind to change out the rest of the paper. It is no longer symmetrical.

Quick question: how did you know the velvet was AT? Some specific specifications? Did a blow test? It was labeled such?
I used stretch velvet, no blow test, just a visual test. :D I guess it will be alright.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
...with tonight's viewing, the room is now complete. It has done exactly what I was hoping a home theater would do, bring the silver screen in to the home and experience everything that I love about a movie. What I started in December of 2013 has now, in my opinion, been completed. Yes, I am sure there will be modifications at some point, swap something old for something new but that will not mean that my room is or was unfinished. It was never about the equipment but about the experience of what a film can do and how it could make you feel. That is what will stay with me forever.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
A little maintenance this morning on the theater, I had started noticing the screen panels looking a little wavy

so I pulled all the panels down, pulled staples for like an hour:rolleyes:....and re-stapled. I only removed the staples from one side so it wasn't like I had redo the complete panel.

maybe I did not stretch the fabric tight enough on the first go around or over the 6 months they have been up the fabric relaxed, so we'll see how it goes after the rework.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
A little maintenance this morning on the theater, I had started noticing the screen panels looking a little wavy

so I pulled all the panels down, pulled staples for like an hour:rolleyes:....and re-stapled. I only removed the staples from one side so it wasn't like I had redo the complete panel.

maybe I did not stretch the fabric tight enough on the first go around or over the 6 months they have been up the fabric relaxed, so we'll see how it goes after the rework.
Good man. Poorly upholstered panels drive me crazy. I often see someone invest tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours just to have the end result ruined by panels that scream DIY.
(The pictures in this last post did not come through by the way. Just broken icons.)

·
Registered
4,842 Posts

Pic links broken.... :(

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
More Subs

Thinking of adding 2 subs to the rear columns, any suggestions on what to pair with the 2 - UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms that are in the front? Was wondering if I could mount an in wall sub inside of the rear columns?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Triad Silver, Triad Bronze or Procella P10Si are going to be your most cost-effective balancing subs. Most use the 6" deep Triad Bronze in-wall sub because it is a great performer for the least amount of scratch. As you probably know, balancing subs will never be able to compete / augment LFE from your front subs.

But if you are looking to scramble your inards even more with near-field sub goodness, then you're into quite a bit more construction with recessing more 15" or 18" subs into your rear columns / walls in a soundproof way.

You have a new marquee on order yet?? :D

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #335 (Edited)
Was needing to replace a few cup holders as the rims were getting brittle on some of the older chairs and pieces were starting to break off. So I went with some lighted holders from Stargate Cinema.

They are lit with 3 - AAA. I knew even before watching a movie that they were going to be to bright so I remove 1 battery and installed a jumper wire in its place to dim them down a bit. If I find that they are still to bright I will look to adding a resistor. Watching film tonight, so we will see.

I ended up installing a 1k resistor in line with all 3 AAA batteries, it is now has just amount of illumination.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great Theater. Thank you so much for taking all the time to take pictures and post.

Quick question and forgive me if you have already spoken about this, but I may have missed it. I noticed you redid your ceiling with DD, GG, and clips. Have you notice a big difference in sound level outside the room?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Great Theater. Thank you so much for taking all the time to take pictures and post.

Quick question and forgive me if you have already spoken about this, but I may have missed it. I noticed you redid your ceiling with DD, GG, and clips. Have you notice a big difference in sound level outside the room?

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

I will state that the room was not officially done as a sound proof room and don't claim that it is. We did the ceiling that way to cut down on noise going up from the room as well as the foot traffic, echo of hardwood floors and sliding of chairs, dining table is right above the theater, noise coming down. Although it was a royal pain, it did make a difference.

The biggest escape of sound is through the door as I have not invested in seals "yet" but I will get there eventually.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Hopefully you won't have any problems with you projector vibrating like I did.

...well it has been a little over a year now that the room has been finished and no real issues with the projector vibrating. But what does vibrate is the screen from time to time. The screen hangs down a foot or so in front of the subs and I am thinking if I had a greater distance to set the subs further away from the screen it would not happen. (faintly see it in the picture)

That maybe why I see some subs turned sideways so the air does not push against the screen but it also maybe that there is not enough room for them to sit facing out.
Anyways, it just ads a little effect in those deep bass moments. That's my story anyways:D

Attachments

321 - 340 of 362 Posts