AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Was needing to replace a few cup holders as the rims were getting brittle on some of the older chairs and pieces were starting to break off. So I went with some lighted holders from Stargate Cinema.

They are lit with 3 - AAA. I knew even before watching a movie that they were going to be to bright so I remove 1 battery and installed a jumper wire in its place to dim them down a bit. If I find that they are still to bright I will look to adding a resistor. Watching film tonight, so we will see.

I ended up installing a 1k resistor in line with all 3 AAA batteries, it is now has just amount of illumination.
I like the stone work and color combinations in the room. Very warm and inviting. Great job.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Nice touch with the trim on your panels, 24C. Did you ever add those 2 additional subs?

Thanks!
Subs ~ Not yet, that is on the someday list. And I am not sure if it would even matter, the 2~18's up front do a decent job of delivering the bass:D. If I were to put a couple of subs in the rear, they would probably be in wall subs, something I could put in the columns, as I do not want to make the necessary modifications to the back wall to fit 15's or 18's. TMcG had mentioned a few post back about some Procella's in post #332.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
@24Changer

I love the colors. The black ceiling with the white trim and the warm tone walls. How do you think it all works as far as light reflection? Do the walls or white trim give you any trouble?
The ceiling looks black in some photos but is actually Well Bred Brown from SW as well as the columns and the chair rail. The walls are done in Gold Coast and the crown is Craft White(SW). I am a big fan of Sherwin Williams paint, I think it covers well and goes on smooth. IMO there are no issues with reflection due to the lighter colors and nothing was brought up about during 4.5 hours of calibration with Jeff M, I do not think I would go any lighter than what I have but I feel as longs as you have a color that has some richness to it you will be fine.

I have given some thought as to painting the 1st crown level the brown to tie in the wall and soffit, but have not committed. I'll post pictures if I do.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Jeff Meier with AccuCal has confirmed to stop in on May 7th for a tune up. I am excited, the room still looks and sounds great but I am interested to see where the audio & video are after 15 months of use. I have 872 hours on the lamp and have tweaked the subs a bit to ear and am interested in what the professional will find with those.
I will keep ya'll posted on what Jeff finds and does.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
First i want to start our by saying thanks to Kevin & his wonderful wife yesterday for the theater demo. His theater is a masterpiece. Not sure why it hasn't been home theater of the month yet. Thanks again so much for your time & knowledgeable info.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
First i want to start our by saying thanks to Kevin & his wonderful wife yesterday for the theater demo. His theater is a masterpiece. Not sure why it hasn't been home theater of the month yet. Thanks again so much for your time & knowledgeable info.

Lucky to have a demo of such a great setup. I second your thought that this is "Theater of the month" worthy.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #349 (Edited)
Nexgen76 any time man if I can help in any way, let me know. Thanks for stopping over and the kind words. I would have watched the whole movie with you.:D

Lucky to have a demo of such a great setup. I second your thought that this is "Theater of the month" worthy.
David if you are ever in NC!

·
Registered
JVC RS2000, DCR-C Lens, Stewart ST130 G4 Microperf. DIYSG 1099 LCR, Volt6 x8, HT18”x4, Denon X4300h
243 Posts
Jeff Meier with AccuCal has confirmed to stop in on May 7th for a tune up. I am excited, the room still looks and sounds great but I am interested to see where the audio & video are after 15 months of use. I have 872 hours on the lamp and have tweaked the subs a bit to ear and am interested in what the professional will find with those.
I will keep ya'll posted on what Jeff finds and does.
I'm having Jeff calibrate my theater on May 12th. After reading about your great experience with Jeff, I can't wait!

Superb job on your build! I also have the 1099's and they are FANTASTIC.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
I'm having Jeff calibrate my theater on May 12th. After reading about your great experience with Jeff, I can't wait!

Superb job on your build! I also have the 1099's and they are FANTASTIC.

Thanks!
I just read through your thread. It is nice to start with a clean space. I think Jeff will do a great job for you and I look forward to your comments after his visit.
I read in your thread that you have your projector on the low setting. Depending on the light control in your room, it will probably end up there after the calibration. Mine has been on low setting since Jeff's visit and still looking great; over 900 hours on it now.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Post Calibration Report

As scheduled, Jeff Meier stopped by yesterday for a tune up of the room. It had been 16 months and 903 hours since the original calibration was performed. The first thing Jeff noticed before setting up all of his equipment, was the picture, it had lost some of it's luster, "but not to worry, I can correct that". Jeff made a few minor adjustments to brightness, contrast, color, white balance and gamma. All due to the aged SRXD panels. Jeff used Sony Image Director software to correct the gamma and white balance.
Here are some settings from the original 12/2014 calibration to the 5/2016 correction.
Contrast 82 86
Brightness 54 50
Color 48, 50
Hue 50, 50
Color Temp
Gain Red 0, 0
Gain Green -8, -4
Gain Blue -15, -10
Bias Red-1, 0
Bias Green 1, -2
Bias Blue -1, 0

As far as the audio portion, all seemed to be as it should, although to bring the subs back into proportion with the rest of the audio settings for the room, we turned the volume down about 5db on the subs. It was all worth the investment to know if the audio had change and how much; which it had not and the picture is looking brand new again, the Falcon screen really pops. The flesh tones are vibrant and the contrast is rich. I thought the image was still looking great but now with these changes I really noticed the fall off. Small changes from day to day and you don't notice how much things are changing. (There is more truth to that statement other than AV). I should be all set for another 18-24 months.

Thank you Jeff for stopping by and for the great conversation on many diverse topics.

Here is some conversation on Sony's SRXD panels
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ts-all-current-sony-sxrd-1080p-4k-panels.html

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Man, I have got to get back out there and see / hear all the improvements. I was there pre Peavy sub amp fix, pre-calibration, pre-finishing all the last details, pre-black velvet behind the screen..... I need to do something about that!!!

Did you ever order that new marquee? Any plans for Creekside 2.0 with Atmos and 4K upgrades? Still pondering more subs in the rear despite having awesome bass?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Man, I have got to get back out there and see / hear all the improvements. I was there pre Peavy sub amp fix, pre-calibration, pre-finishing all the last details, pre-black velvet behind the screen..... I need to do something about that!!!

Did you ever order that new marquee? Any plans for Creekside 2.0 with Atmos and 4K upgrades? Still pondering more subs in the rear despite having awesome bass?
You're welcome any time, shoot me a text on what works for you.
No marquee, no plans for Atmos at this time. You need to listen to the room and then we will discuss the Atmos. Between the coaxial Volt 8's, the 10' center ceiling and the acoustic, it's like I already have Atmos at some degree. imo

As far as the rear subs, I do not really need them either. When I posted that comment(need to go and edit) I did not realize that I had not saved my settings in the Peavey so when I was messing around with the amp a little, it had defaulted back to factory settings. All fixed now.:D

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Annoyance

I have a small annoyance; because the front 18" subs sit inches away from the bottom screen panel, I can hear the bottom screen panel fabric vibrate/slap against the panel frame supports during deep base scenes. I was looking for thoughts or suggestions on rectifying the problem.

- could I build the bottom screen panel out of solid material?
- could I use duct board and fill in the panel between the supports
- I could turn the subs down:frown:
- or I could remodel the wall and move the subs further away from the screen panel. I really would like to avoid this option altogether for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
3M Super 77 spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the frame. Probably difficult to retrofit. Could mean redoing the fabric panel so you could glue and then staple.

PS - you may also be able to use a fabric tape or heat-activated iron on tape you could apply between the wood and the fabric. Test first so the adhesive doesn't show through the fabric.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #360 (Edited)
Upgrade Exploration

The theater has been operational roughly 5 years and like many have given thoughts to upgrading and have decided to do so to some extent.

Throwing my thoughts out on some different avenues to take and looking for your feedback.

AV Receiver - Current: Integra DTR 50.5
Upgrade: Yamaha RX A3080.

Adding Atmos
I am adding 4 speaker/ two rows, targeting the front row, but also would like the back row to have some exposure.

I will be placing the speakers in a box and mounting to the ceiling as not to cut a hole in the shell and disrupt any soundproofing.

- Option 1, RSL C-34e speaker; does this speaker have a significant disbursement pattern that the back row would benefit from even with the angled woofers pointed towards the front row?
- Option 2, Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA. To me, it is a more down firing speaker, but at 2.5 times the cost of the RSL, what am I gaining?
- Option 3, Volt 8's from DIYSoundgroup. I am using Volt 10's for my surround

Disc player - Current: OPPO 103
Upgrade: Panasonic 820 UHD or OPPO 203? I have both.

Projector - Current: Sony 55ES w/ 480 Panamorph lens
Upgrade: NX7. Undecided on the lens. I see Panamorph has a pre-order out on the Paladin-C DCR lens. Very tempting Strike the Compact DCR, i do not have the room for the throw.
- An option is, NX7, use my current Panamorph 480 lens and purchase a Lumagen??

Projector questions;
- Jump on the lens pre-order & hold off on purchasing the projector, with the theory electronics drop in price?
- Laser projectors: is there a laser projector worth the purchase to withstand the technological advances of projectors or just keep upgrading every 5 years or so?
- Hold off on projector purchase and upgrade the screen?

Screen- Current: Falcon Vision HD 2.35.1/120”wide
Upgrade to: ?

So there it is, a rough outline of the direction & questions I have given thought to. What does the AVS world have to say?

341 - 360 of 362 Posts