AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 362 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442  /t/1526160/take-2-theater#post_24787352

The wider, acoustically transparent screen will give you a totally new, more immersive experience. Personally, I think the 1:1 viewing ratio for scope movies that you will now enjoy is about perfect.

Add to that the aesthetic improvements, and it is like you are getting an entirely new build for a fraction of the cost and effort.

Just one comment/concern...won't the 2.5' from entry to chair back seem rather cramped? Perhaps a small price to pay for the overall improvement.

What a great project. I will have to hang around to see how it all turns out.

Thanks for stopping by David. Really looking forward to the "immersion"

Not sure how cramped the entry will feel, hopefully not too bad. I do not do much hosting and after a while I will grow accustom to it. I'll be sure to post when finished how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not much progress made this weekend, however I was able to start roughing in the wiring in the riser, 4 light boxes in, 4 to go. Riser is 90% complete, just need to finish the front steps to the 1st row. Also ran 2" conduit from front to back, finished patching all the old speaker wire locations around the room and move the 2 outlets on the front wall 1' further towards the center of the room so that the corner bass traps would not cover them up.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lights arrived yesterday, so, of course I went right to work.

The back 6 lights are up.

I took Spaceman's advice and the front lights closest to the stage will be on their own switch. That way I will be able to have the back lights on at a low level without affecting the picture on the screen from the front lights casting light onto the screen.

The cans fit in nicely under the cold air return for the upstairs...

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Another weekend, another step closer to enjoyment. We finished the electrical in the riser, stuffed it with the fluffy and 2 layers of OSB with GG. It is nice crossing "to do's" of the list.

Will post pictures once I figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to document your build. There's some good and bad there:
Good:
- Your retro looks very similar to one I'm planning on doing, and I appreciate the play by play
- LOVE your risers, wish I could incorporate them into my design!!
Bad:
- That link to Destination Lighting may end up costing me... :cool:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It was back to work this weekend after a few weeks off, our male dog Kooper passed on June 20th and it really wiped my ambition out.

so this weekend I finished installing the lights fixtures, stuffed the soffits with insulation and hung the DW on them. HVAC guys are scheduled to be here in the AM to install the supplies and the cold air return and then I will put the last of the DW up on the back soffit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Today the guys are here to tape & mud the seems. My goal is to primer the walls & ceiling by the end of the weekend.

1 of the changes I made to the original plan was to move the equipment rack to the closet adjacent to the theater entrance. This will keep me from having a large hole on the back wall and the added expense of soundproofing it. So what I did was replace the 24" door with 28" door so that I could roll the AV rack n there and the Dwallers will tape & mud that today as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice progress and really like your riser as well.

And, of course, Go Sox! (Although likely not this year....)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nice progress and really like your riser as well.

And, of course, Go Sox! (Although likely not this year....)
Thanks Jeff. Room is now taped & mud applied. Color on the walls is not to far away.

As far as the Sox go, I think they are at least 2 trades away from turning things around. I think Ellsbury hurt more than anyone in the front office wants to admit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now that's looking like a theater! Something about symmetry; just makes it more professional.
A great upgrade all the way around.
Sorry about the loss of your pet.

David thanks for stopping by and the kind words on the room and my buddy. I am not much on cloning but if I was going to clone anything it would of been Kooper ~ what an awesome Lab.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The room is looking great! Are you doing anything special with sound treatment for the walls? Panels? If not, did you have any issues with sound in your previous setup? I am planning for my first theater in a 17'x~14' space and I go back and forth with how far I want to take sound proofing/isolation (e.g. Double stud wall) for this first build. Ultimately I just want to build mine as quickly as possible and start enjoying it.... soundproofing be damned. I'm curious about your experience.

Sorry about your buddy :(

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The room is looking great! Are you doing anything special with sound treatment for the walls? Panels? If not, did you have any issues with sound in your previous setup? I am planning for my first theater in a 17'x~14' space and I go back and forth with how far I want to take sound proofing/isolation (e.g. Double stud wall) for this first build. Ultimately I just want to build mine as quickly as possible and start enjoying it.... soundproofing be damned. I'm curious about your experience.

Thanks Robert
On the first take I had built the room with detached double studs, so I left that as is. The 1st ceiling was a 8.5' suspended ceiling with double 2x2 tiles and R13 insulation. The sound was faintly noticeable but not disturbing. This time around I went with double 5/8"DW & green glue between the floor joist, then stuffed with pink stuff. I used clips & channel to hang 5/8" OSB as the 1st layer and then 5/8" DW with GG. I now have a 10' ceiling in the center. That to me has made a huge difference with foot traffic and assuming it will with sound once I am up and running. The soffits are a single layer of 5/8"DW , sides & bottoms and stuffed with insulation. They are 20" tall and 27" wide and I did not build baker boxes for the lights. Long story short, no I did not go crazy.

I am planning on panels for the side wall, 1 as sound treatment and 2 for looks and appeal.
My room is in the basement so depending on your location will depend on how much proofing you would want to do and your budget. I understand wanting to just get it done, that was me with my first go. I am definitely glad that I put the extra effort into the ceiling this time, I feel it is going to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I just wanted to make sure you are aware, which you very well could be, but there is a distinction between:
Soundproofing & Acoustic Treatments

There is some minor relationship, but largely they are are two separate topics. The 'soundproofing', such is isolation, double drywall, insulation, dampening agents - is to reduce sound coming into and going out of the theater.

Acoustic treatments, are specifically to enhance the sound quality inside the room, and to the main listening positions. These are the wall treatments, bass traps, absorption/ diffusion panels, etc.

You can have an outstanding Soundproof room, which sounds awful given a lack of acoustic treatments.

You can also have an amazing sound experience inside the theater from great acoustic treatments... but, everyone else can hear it outside the theater, and their sounds can get into the theater, with out sound proofing.

Many of the theaters here do both, but I have also seen several where the circumstances were such the that "Soundproofing' wasn't all that important, and the focus then was acoustic treatments.

For me... I need the soundproofing, so, going all in on it... and will of course do acoustic treatments as well

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am definitely glad that I put the extra effort into the ceiling this time, I feel it is going to make a huge difference.
I wish people would stop saying that hard work pays off. Yuck. I just want to be lazy, throw the equipment in the room, and call it a day :)

On an semi-related note, we just moved to Charlotte about a year ago. We looked into moving to Concord, and now I wish we had so that I could stop by and bug you :) In all seriousness, I could probably donate a Saturday or Sunday if you need an extra hand in the coming weeks... of course I had to wait until it looked like you had all of the heavy lifting out of the way before offering!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just wanted to make sure you are aware, which you very well could be, but there is a distinction between:
Soundproofing & Acoustic Treatments
Hey Kevin, I do understand that there is a difference. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my stream of thoughts. Thank you for making it extra clear. I was definitely interested in both aspects in this build, and I think both were covered pretty well above. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I wish people would stop saying that hard work pays off. Yuck. I just want to be lazy, throw the equipment in the room, and call it a day :)

On an semi-related note, we just moved to Charlotte about a year ago. We looked into moving to Concord, and now I wish we had so that I could stop by and bug you :) In all seriousness, I could probably donate a Saturday or Sunday if you need an extra hand in the coming weeks... of course I had to wait until it looked like you had all of the heavy lifting out of the way before offering!
LOL
Don't worry, I believe the heavy lifting is done or I at least hope so. Feel free to stop by and take a look and or to discuss anything. You can PM for my address. I am no means of an expert on any of this, I read a lot and try and do what the budget allows, I feel that something is better than nothing. I was happy with my first room. What started all this is I was upgrading my projector and my AVR and then one thing lead to another ~ I think they call it project creep.:)
All in all, I have enjoyed the building an really looking forward to completion. Will it be perfect? No. But I believe it will be better. Trying to make it perfect can be discouraging but I do the best I can and I will still enjoy it when it is done.

21 - 40 of 362 Posts