AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
LOL
What started all this is I was upgrading my projector and my AVR and then one thing lead to another ~ I think they call it project creep.:)
This is definitely a very expensive Forum!! What started for me as a friend saying "oh, you're thinking of doing a home theater in your basement, take a look at avsforum"... is now, me doing Sound Proofing, Mr. Slim HVAC systems, planning acoustic treatments, 2.25:1 aspect ratio's, CIH projectors, acoustically transparent screens, doing clips & channel everywhere in my basement... OUCH... budget, what budget?

My wife keeps reminding me, I better spend time in this theater when it is all done!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This is definitely a very expensive Forum!! What started for me as a friend saying "oh, you're thinking of doing a home theater in your basement, take a look at avsforum"... is now, me doing Sound Proofing, Mr. Slim HVAC systems, planning acoustic treatments, 2.25:1 aspect ratio's, CIH projectors, acoustically transparent screens, doing clips & channel everywhere in my basement... OUCH... budget, what budget?

Every time my wife ask if we are still on budget, I nod my head. I figure that you are always on budget as long as you don't have one. LOL:wink:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We are picking out colors and a layout. We would like to mimic the picture below but in a Castle or Ledge stone on the bottom half. The columns will be painted in SW Clock Tower Brown. The walls are going to be a similar mustard, not as dark as the mustard pictured. The wall panels, hopefully will be close in wall color as long as I can match up the fabric or we will match the wall color to the panels, which is probably the route we will take. Panels will be trimmed out and painted SW Clock Tower Brown. The ceiling will be SW Clock Tower as well. The crown molding on the Soffit/Ceiling will be painted the same color as the wall. The carpet is a Shaw, color is Moose. The light tray will house a Amber dimmable LED rope light. The screen wall will not have stone, it will be black or dark brown velvet.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not sure of the stone either (I am a noob after all) but is it any different than the high wainscotting people use in other theaters?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Bass traps are cut and temporarily in, maybe permanent, they seem to stay in place well. I used 11.5 2x4 sheets of the 2" Knauf board per side. 45 triangles brought it to 1" from the top, so I squeezed the 46 one in there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I did secure the bass traps in with a 2x2 on the inside. This also allowed me to secure the linacoustic on the outside edge which I put up today. Not that I know what I am doing but I put up 2 layers of 1" with a layer 4 mil poly in between. Looks cool anyway.

1st layer

Layer of Poly

And the 2nd layer

I have not fully secured the top half as I am going to run my cables down behind it then I will finish securing it. As you might be able to see, I have the first coat of brown on the ceiling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I wouldn't be worried about any negative acoustic effects from the stone. Just another reflective surface like wood paneling or drywall. If anything, it might provide some beneficial diffusion at very high frequencies due to the contour.

I haven't found anything as of yet that says not to do it. I PM Dennis E to get his opinion, so we will see what he comes back with.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I as I mentioned in post#30, I moved the Av rack to the hall closet across form the theater room. Should I be concerned if my front speaker/sub wire run is 70' +/- ?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Finished painting the ceiling tonight, all though the picture doesn't do it justice it looks good. The brown is a rich deep color and looks a little black with the lights dimmed down

Attachments

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
More progress as we near the completion, still seems though like a lot left to finish up. First coat of SW Gold Coast on the wall as well as started the screen wall. I need to put a support on top in the middle and I think I am going to run a board across the bottom as well.

Also put up the small crown on the ceiling and mocked up the light tray

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
More progress as we near the completion, still seems though like a lot left to finish up. First coat of SW Gold Coast on the wall as well as started the screen wall. I need to put a support on top in the middle and I think I am going to run a board across the bottom as well.
Wow! Is that the same color on the ceiling/soffit as before (where you said: "brown is a rich deep color and looks a little black with the lights dimmed down")? If so, it is remarkable how different it looks... Very dramatic. This is one of those times for me where I see a color palette that I never would have thought to use, but to see it done it just looks fantastic. Well executed. (sending you PM)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Quick update on some small progress. Columns are assembled but still need to router out speaker openings and then attach them to the walls. Light tray is up and LED rope light installed. Other than caulking the bottom seam of the light tray and touching up the nail holes, the ceiling will be done.

Also have my order in for speakers with Erich @ DIY Sound Group. Going with the 1099's for LCR. Volt 10's for the surrounds. Ordered the woofers from Parts Express - 2/Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil. Fun, fun!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 362 Posts