AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Marathon amp is still delayed

Customer service from the online site is asking if I could pick another amp. The only other choices would be the Crest amps below.

Are those specs legit ???

Crest CC4000

8 Ohm Stereo - 800 W

4 Ohm Stereo - 1350 W

2 Ohm Stereo - 2000 W

4 Ohm Bridged - 4000 W

Toroidal power transformer

Magnetic circuit breaker on/off switch

Cooled by variable speed fan with back-to-front airflow

Mode selector switch for stereo, parallel and bridged-mono operation

Inputs: Balanced female XLR, 1/4" TRS combi jacks

Outputs: Speakon(R) and five-way binding posts

Recessed, stepped attenuators

16-gauge steel chassis, cast aluminum front panel

Five-year warranty

Crest CC5500

8 Ohm Stereo - 1150 W

4 Ohm Stereo - 1800 W

2 Ohm Stereo - 2750 W

4 Ohm Bridged - 5500 W

Toroidal power transformer

Magnetic circuit breaker on/off switch

Cooled by variable speed fan with back-to-front airflow

Mode selector switch for stereo, parallel and bridged-mono operation

Inputs: Balanced female XLR, 1/4" TRS combi jacks

Outputs: Speakon®

and five-way binding posts

Recessed, stepped attenuators

16-gauge steel chassis, cast aluminum front panel

Five-year warranty

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would go for the Peavey CS4080 or CS4000 depending what is your goal(8,4 or 2 ohms load) well proven and probably cheaper, since peavey took over Crest couples years ago the CC serie is basically a CS amp with a Crest badge. For the CC5k i haven't seen review from the field yet so i can't tell.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I only have the Crest options as a replacement for the MA-5050 so I just want to know if the CC4000 will be close to the 4000Watt bridged specs.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I'd bet the specs pan out, however it's just based on their track record.

What sucks, because I want a Marathon also, is the omission of the variable sensitivity front end. The line is just so new, there's not a lot out there. Most likely be just fine, typical, Chinese version of a major mfr. products. I'd hope Crest, with their solid rep would over spec and QC this stuff to maintain their cred.

Good luck

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lets see the CC4000 gets shipped because its ordered now.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For 4 18", I think one or two EP4000s is enough. 8 18' then sure a bigger amp like the CC4000 (if the specs are accurate) is great.

Start with the EP4000 and move up if more output is needed.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its well packaged

Its sitting in a box untested

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It'll probably sit in a box un-opened for years. He's probably got more un-opened, or lightly used, speakers, amps and other goodies sitting around than most of us. It's a disease Penn,..the first step is acknowlegement...and you've done that. The second step is a garage sale..., so let us all know

Actually, I understand. I'm not too much of a diy guy, I've dabbled, however not like Penn,...but I don't think I've never sold a piece of audio or video gear I've owned. I've got it all. I still have my first 8 track/cassette powered deck. The 8 track cartridges and cassettes fit in the same slot.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry to revive a dead thread but I saw that the CC5500 amps are available on the bay for a comparable price to the CV5000 amps. I am in need of an amp to power my quad SI 18D2's. Does anyone have any experience with the CC5500 amp?

·
Registered
791 Posts
 http://maurmun.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/review-of-the-crest-audio-cc4000-amplifier/

I found this review of the cc 4000 by chance. 14 transistors per side , 8 caps at 12000uf, The results looked extremely poor, the tech there was running into buzzing problems and other issues that should not be present in a SO CALLED , WE ARE THE BEST WE ARE CREST, AMP.

The toroid was subjected to metal to metal contact, and this was also causing some issues. I would stick to the Samson and cerwin lines, these amps just don't cut it for the price.

·
Registered
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms  /t/1294464/crest-cc4000-or-cc5500#post_23430005

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I saw that the CC5500 amps are available on the bay for a comparable price to the CV5000 amps. I am in need of an amp to power my quad SI 18D2's. Does anyone have any experience with the CC5500 amp?
I don't think you'd need the extra (rated) power of the crest - a CV5000 to run quad SI18s D2s will be giving each driver 1250wRMS and they're only rated to 600w!

1250w is about the max safe before starting to test its thermal limits, from what I've read, although popalock and carp are running their SIs off a Clone and a CV5000 respectively with no trouble
(so far.. lol)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sincerely don't know why You are speaking of POOR PERFORMANCE, mainly related to the buzzing generated by the toroidal trasformer, i don't agree with You.

As I wrote in a subsequent note the buzzing is not due to the toroid itself but is a problem of the presence of DC components overimpressed on the mains, and... being the same amount of DC a toroidal transformer generates more buzz as the power loss decrase; that is a unit with less internal resistance will generate more buzz compared to a unit with the same power specs but with a higher regulation, so with a higher power loss. the transformer of the CC4000 seems to have very little power loss...

Moreover the contact of the transformer with the case is not a source of buzz.

HiEnd and Hi Power Home amplifiers normally have a DC filter built inside the case, just to avoid buzzing: check with the Bryston amps and You will find all the high power models having one.

The same CA6 show some buzzing when there is presence of DC.

I had also several days in my house were the CC4000 was deadly silent

This amp is a very good value for money.

As an additional note I'm running it since some months in stereo 4 ohm (at least 1200W / ch) to drive 2 Ciare PW330 mid basses per side, with the led clip suddenly lighting and the amp remains warm

Finally just remember that I was testing this amp at home with a standard 10A plug a not with a specific bench power supply, so this test further confirms the power that this amp could deliver.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX  /t/1294464/crest-cc4000-or-cc5500#post_23715737

I don't think you'd need the extra (rated) power of the crest - a CV5000 to run quad SI18s D2s will be giving each driver 1250wRMS and they're only rated to 600w!

1250w is about the max safe before starting to test its thermal limits, from what I've read, although popalock and carp are running their SIs off a Clone and a CV5000 respectively with no trouble
(so far.. lol)
At the time with zero feedback about these amps I decided to pass on them. I ended up picking up a demo Peavey IPR2-7500 for 680 off of the bay. It should be arrivin today. I like headroom and the ability to add more drivers onto the amp in the future if I so desire.

·
Registered
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms  /t/1294464/crest-cc4000-or-cc5500#post_23716087

At the time with zero feedback about these amps I decided to pass on them. I ended up picking up a demo Peavey IPR2-7500 for 680 off of the bay. It should be arrivin today. I like headroom and the ability to add more drivers onto the amp in the future if I so desire.
Zero feedback about the Crests?

Or the CV5000?

I think a couple of people have the CV, I know Carp does!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX  /t/1294464/crest-cc4000-or-cc5500#post_23716631

Zero feedback about the Crests?

Or the CV5000?

I think a couple of people have the CV, I know Carp does!

About the Crests specifically. I know that the CV's are rated very well but the IPR should put out quite a bit more power from a standard outlet than the old school Cerwin. Weighing less than 20lbs is pretty nice as well.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.