AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and have spent the past few days researching whole home a/v distribution. I am wanting someadvice before I go sit down with a local Crestron dealer.

I am wondering a little about the Prodigy system. I examined GoGo Delicious' DigitalMedia setup in an earlier thread and was wondering if something similar may be possible using the new Prodigy MD6x6? I am looking at the Prodigy line only because I assume it is cheaper that the DigitalMedia line.

I just purchased two Sony STR-DA5400ES receivers because they were selling for $899 this past week up here (Cdn MSRP was $2199 when they came out). I was thinking of using them to have 2 zones of 7.1 surround, while the other 4 zones would run off different (existing) receivers.

Here was my thought and am looking to see if it makes sense or is achievable:

Zone 1

P-MD6x6 --> HDMI --> STR-DA5400ES for 7.1

Zone 2

P-MD6x6 --> Cat5 --> RMC-100 --> HDMI --> STR-DA5400ES for 7.1

Zone 3 to 6

P-MD6x6 --> Cat5 --> RMC-100 --> HDMI --> TV -->

Audio out --> existing receivers for 5.1/stereo

Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer up some advice everybody!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There still is no date according to Crestron on release of the Prodigy HDMI switcher. No one has worked with it yet so it will be hard for people to comment on it. Oh, and there is no price listed for it yet either.

Did you have other questions regarding Prodigy?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russherr /forum/post/19594374

Thanks for the quick response. I guess for a comparison then....will this type of setup work with the DG 8x8 HDMI switcher? What does that item list for?

Thanks

DG? You mean DM? It depends on the cards you use. Also, you will need to go with the PMC3 processor which isn't released yet either.

If you are looking to cut costs and do this soon, just use something simple like a Gefen, Key Digital, or Kramer HDMI matrix switcher with a Prodigy system.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowne30M3 /forum/post/0

If you are looking to cut costs and do this soon, just use something simple like a Gefen, Key Digital, or Kramer HDMI matrix switcher with a Prodigy system.

I just spoke to my local Crestron dealer last week looking at Prodigy. After all was said and done, it was tough to understand how the new stuff will change from the old they had on display. I was considering lighting and some hvac monitoring and maybe some local control of a/v. If I liked it, I would consider three main viewing areas of Prodigy control. It was told to me that one Prodigy system can't currently talk to another. I think that might change with the new gear, right? At any rate, he made it clear that more than one Prodigy setup is a waste, and more money. We looked at several things I might add in the future, like video distribution. So we looked at the DM8x8 matrix. OK. So now enter the Prodigy matrix, and after thinking about, if you want to distribute six sources to six rooms, why would want Prodigy in the first place. Can the new gear control a whole house if you are on a budget? He lead me to believe that a good processor would be the way to go, albeit with a high initial cost, but substantially more scalability. I think I left there feeling a bit confused as the Control4 competitor became too expensive, according to them, and then I was into the regular gear.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville /forum/post/19599007

It was told to me that one Prodigy system can't currently talk to another. I think that might change with the new gear, right?

The current PMC2 is not designed to talk to other Crestron gear, no. There are some nifty workarounds in programming to make it talk to another processor, but it can't talk to other Crestron gear independently, no.

Quote:

So we looked at the DM8x8 matrix. OK. So now enter the Prodigy matrix, and after thinking about, if you want to distribute six sources to six rooms, why would want Prodigy in the first place. Can the new gear control a whole house if you are on a budget?

Sure, it depends on your budget though. The PMC3 which is slated for Q1 or Q2 next year will be able to operate any Crestron devices.

Quote:

He lead me to believe that a good processor would be the way to go, albeit with a high initial cost, but substantially more scalability. I think I left there feeling a bit confused as the Control4 competitor became too expensive, according to them, and then I was into the regular gear.

I would always lean towards a better processor and gear for a system over the Prodigy lineup. With that said, that is why Prodigy is the cheaper system. It is designed to be a plug and play system with limited ability. The new systems (the 3 series lineup) expands that role, but still keeping budget in mind. I don't know about your specific dealer, but when a client comes to me with an idea of what they want to do I will consider a few different options for them according to their budget. Sometimes it requires removal of features if you go with a higher end processor but expandability, and sometimes it involves and no expandability on a budget.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russherr /forum/post/19592977

I am a newbie and have spent the past few days researching whole home a/v distribution. I am wanting someadvice before I go sit down with a local Crestron dealer.

I am wondering a little about the Prodigy system. I examined GoGo Delicious' DigitalMedia setup in an earlier thread and was wondering if something similar may be possible using the new Prodigy MD6x6? I am looking at the Prodigy line only because I assume it is cheaper that the DigitalMedia line.

I just purchased two Sony STR-DA5400ES receivers because they were selling for $899 this past week up here (Cdn MSRP was $2199 when they came out). I was thinking of using them to have 2 zones of 7.1 surround, while the other 4 zones would run off different (existing) receivers.

Here was my thought and am looking to see if it makes sense or is achievable:

Zone 1

P-MD6x6 --> HDMI --> STR-DA5400ES for 7.1

Zone 2

P-MD6x6 --> Cat5 --> RMC-100 --> HDMI --> STR-DA5400ES for 7.1

Zone 3 to 6

P-MD6x6 --> Cat5 --> RMC-100 --> HDMI --> TV -->

Audio out --> existing receivers for 5.1/stereo

Thanks in advance for taking the time to offer up some advice everybody!

You shouldn't be purchasing any equipment until you have engineered the system with your installer. The Sony receivers you selected should be ok for control. Had you chosen a product that does not have discrete IR commands you would have had to return them. The Sony you chose has an RS-232 port and an ethernet jack. This is also a good sign. It means you should be able to have 2way control. This is important for getting volume feedback to your touchpanels and 2way remotes. Its also very likely you can set startup volumes. This is important so that if you are watching a movie at night at a loud level... you dont blast the speakers early in the morning when you want to turn on the news at breakfast.

Your existing receivers may not have this level of control. You may need to replace them.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
I just spoke to my local Crestron dealer last week looking at Prodigy. After all was said and done, it was tough to understand how the new stuff will change from the old they had on display.

I was considering lighting and some hvac monitoring and maybe some local control of a/v. If I liked it, I would consider three main viewing areas of Prodigy control.

It was told to me that one Prodigy system can't currently talk to another. I think that might change with the new gear, right?

Sort of. As Blown mentioned there is a work around with the existing gear but the new version will open things up.

Quote:
At any rate, he made it clear that more than one Prodigy setup is a waste, and more money.

I dont really know what he means here. IMO prodigy is currently designed around having a surround zone, a few zones of distributed audio and control of your subsystems. Perfect for many of the projects out there.

If your needs go beyond this then you may need to move to a different product. The new prodigy products will allow you to expand beyond the sandbox. This products are not available yet and should not be considered unless you are willing to wait until their release.

Quote:
We looked at several things I might add in the future, like video distribution. So we looked at the DM8x8 matrix. OK. So now enter the Prodigy matrix, and after thinking about, if you want to distribute six sources to six rooms, why would want Prodigy in the first place. Can the new gear control a whole house if you are on a budget?

That is the plan. Even the new version of Prodigy will have a boxed feature set. But.. this boxed feature set will work for many projects.

Quote:
He lead me to believe that a good processor would be the way to go, albeit with a high initial cost, but substantially more scalability. I think I left there feeling a bit confused...

It depends on your needs. If you are planning to expand the scope of the system constantly or significantly then its best to start with a processor that will be able to handle it. The PRO2 is my favorite processor. Very reliable/powerful. If you choose the PRO2 you wont ever find yourself thinking "wow i wish i would have gotten a better processor".

Quote:
...as the Control4 competitor became too expensive, according to them, and then I was into the regular gear.

Who said that Control4 was too expensive? The Control4 dealer? I dont work with Control4 but right now it seems to be the product between prodigy and the full crestron line. So if you are outside of the prodigy box but not needing full blown crestron gear then Control4 might be a good fit. Once Prodigy is opened up it will replace Control4 (in my mind) as the middle product. This is because you will have basic inexpensive control and be able to add on any of the many product sku's from Crestron.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.