AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Crestron has not released a PAC3, what are people installing in the CAEN enclosures to go along with the PRO3 in a 3-series system? I see the CLX-DIN-AP3, but the feature set of the AP3 is not quite what the PAC2 had. Is the PAC2 still the way to go for lighting control panels even if your primary controller is a PRO3 or some other 3-series controller?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since Crestron has not released a PAC3, what are people installing in the CAEN enclosures to go along with the PRO3 in a 3-series system? I see the CLX-DIN-AP3, but the feature set of the AP3 is not quite what the PAC2 had. Is the PAC2 still the way to go for lighting control panels even if your primary controller is a PRO3 or some other 3-series controller?
Yes, and also lighting control is driven by D3. D3 doesn't really have anything to offer on the side of Core 3 features.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This thread is a little old, but I'll chime in:

Go for the DIN-AP3 (or the CLW version). D3 may not do anything with the 3-series features yet, but it could down the road, and some programmers are developing robust lighting systems that run on 3-series only.

What features of the PAC-2 were you missing in the DIN-AP3. I know there are several, but I'm curious about what features you actually wanted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This thread is a little old, but I'll chime in:

Go for the DIN-AP3 (or the CLW version). D3 may not do anything with the 3-series features yet, but it could down the road, and some programmers are developing robust lighting systems that run on 3-series only.

What features of the PAC-2 were you missing in the DIN-AP3. I know there are several, but I'm curious about what features you actually wanted.
Sorry for the delay, I wasn't auto-subscribed to this thread...

The biggest feature of the PAC2 that I didn't see with the DIN-AP3 was the total number of Cresnet ports. The CLX-DIN-AP3-HUB gets close, and still gives me CAEN mounting so I can use CLX modules instead of DIN modules (the CLX-2DIM8 is fantastic, and the DIN setup only gets you a DIN-1DIM4 or DIN-1DIMU4). I suppose I can mount 2 more DIN-HUB units on a CAEN-UMP1X2 to make up the difference.

As for actual lighting control features, I can't find anything in the PAC2 that is missing from the DIN-AP3. Is anyone aware of anything?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I wasn't auto-subscribed to this thread...

The biggest feature of the PAC2 that I didn't see with the DIN-AP3 was the total number of Cresnet ports. The CLX-DIN-AP3-HUB gets close, and still gives me CAEN mounting so I can use CLX modules instead of DIN modules (the CLX-2DIM8 is fantastic, and the DIN setup only gets you a DIN-1DIM4 or DIN-1DIMU4). I suppose I can mount 2 more DIN-HUB units on a CAEN-UMP1X2 to make up the difference.

As for actual lighting control features, I can't find anything in the PAC2 that is missing from the DIN-AP3. Is anyone aware of anything?
The CAEN enclosures are the way to go for sure! The DIN options aren't nearly as good, and the wire management is a bigger pain.

As the biggest thing isn't really the number of ports, but the number of segments. The Hub gets you separate segments as well. Something like a CNTBlock gets you more ports, but on the same segment.

The only other feature I know of is the ability to have backup, warm (maybe hot?
) standby processor, but I've never seen it used. You can achieve similar redundancy with three series and some clever engineering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CAEN enclosures are the way to go for sure! The DIN options aren't nearly as good, and the wire management is a bigger pain.

As the biggest thing isn't really the number of ports, but the number of segments. The Hub gets you separate segments as well. Something like a CNTBlock gets you more ports, but on the same segment.

The only other feature I know of is the ability to have backup, warm (maybe hot?
) standby processor, but I've never seen it used. You can achieve similar redundancy with three series and some clever engineering.
Thanks for the awesomely quick reply! I'll go with your suggestion and use the CAEN enclosures with CLX-DIN-AP3-HUB controller. I will also have a PRO3 for TSW touch panels and some other non-lighting applications... perhaps I can find a way to make it the warm standby processor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for the awesomely quick reply! I'll go with your suggestion and use the CAEN enclosures with CLX-DIN-AP3-HUB controller. I will also have a PRO3 for TSW touch panels and some other non-lighting applications... perhaps I can find a way to make it the warm standby processor.
I wouldn't bother trying to make the Pro3 a hot standby. If I had that setup at home, and wasn't using many Cresnet devices on the Pro3, I would consider running a cresnet line from the CAEN cabinet to the AV rack, so I could plug in the lighting to the Pro3 and run the program on there, if absolutely necessary. Once it's running though, I doubt you'll have any issues.

Also - not to try and argue with your AV integrator for a situation that I know nothing about, but....
A CP3 has very similar I/O (missing three serial ports and card slots) and almost identical processing power to a Pro3, at a significantly lower price point. If you need card slots, you can get the CEN-CI3-3. The only thing is the Pro3 has a router built-in, and offers the Control Subnet. If you have a well-managed network, with an AV VLAN, this becomes more of a hindrance than a benefit, in my experience. Many dealers are used to just throwing a Pro2 in all situations, so when the Pro3 came out, that became their go-to processor without any questions. Just something to consider!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long story, but the short version is that I am the integrator. A local certified reseller is working with me on the equipment side, but I've worked it out with them so that I can do the design and programming. This is my first go with Crestron, which is why I have so many questions. A lot of this stuff is clear from the Crestron website and manuals (I like to read), but much of it is experience based knowledge from having installed hundreds of these systems (why I ask here).

So, based on your last comment, it sounds like you're suggesting I just put two DIN-HUB units in the CAEN and use the PRO3 as my controller (it is in the AV rack next to the CAEN), thus eliminating the need for the AP3. Did I get that right? Both will have backup power, which implies the same uptime, but with the PRO2/PAC2 stuff, I had read that the PAC2 was significantly more reliable. Is that not the case when comparing the PRO3 to the AP3?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would suggest you use the AP3 still, particularly if you're DIYing your programming. The bit about using the Pro3 was just a last resort backup plan.

In my experience, the reliability comes primarily from the fact that lighting controllers do very little processing, and just get left alone. With your AV processor, you are more likely to be loading programs, updating firmware, doing more processing, etc. I know someone that runs his lighting off of the same MC3 that runs his TV without issues. But he is also using infinet EX switches, which means if the processor is down he can still go to the dimmers and get some light to live by until he can address whatever issues there are. With centralized lighting control, you don't have that option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts