AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The batteries in my STX-3500C are about to croak. The battery packs are no longer available as far as I can tell. Can I build new packs replacing the NiCAD batteries with NiMH rechargeables? If I use the charging circuit within the panel that uses cresnet power, it's a slow charge that takes about 20 hours. Will this be OK or will I have to stick with NiCAD?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Do you have a Batteries Plus nearby. They may be able to build what you need and advise on charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Cresnet is run off of a power supply and the power cable itself draws power, as well as other things on that power supply. If you stress that power supply enough it'll crack. I would just repower it with 120v charging, go with the batterys plus option.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenlineAV
Also keep in mind that the Cresnet is run off of a power supply and the power cable itself draws power, as well as other things on that power supply. If you stress that power supply enough it'll crack. I would just repower it with 120v charging, go with the batterys plus option.
Thank you for reminding me. After reading this, I decided to add up all the little cresnet tid-bits that have been added over the years....Oooops.

The touch panels are in stand-by most of the time and some devices are on a outboard 24VDC source but in the event that all panels came on at the same time, I'm on the ragged edge. I'm going to move that STX-3500C which sucks up 24 watts over to a un-taxed power supply.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In searching around the Crestron web site I noticed that the ST/STX 1550 and 1700 touch panels batteries have been upgraded from NiCads to NiMH's. The TP's when now new come with a different docking station part number but also state that the old docking station/charger will work when replacing the batteries in a older 1550 or 1700 that came with NiCads.

Those are 4 cell packs as well as the ones in a STX-3500C. The 3500 just uses two packs.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ordered 8 NiMH batteries. I don't know the design of the charging circuit but it does say in the panels owners manual that leaving it plugged into a power source (cresnet or wall wart) "will not harm the batteries" so it must have a peak voltage or temp limit incorporated for protection. When charging via cresnet connection, it is trickle charge only.

I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little confused about battery/battery pack ratings. Crestron lists the original "pack" as being 2800 mAh. Does that mean that each battery is

700 mAh or does the mAh stay the same only the voltage is increased in a pack? I ask because the single c size cells ratings range from 2500-3500 mAh

for NiCads and 3500-9000 mAh for NiMh cells.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought but it doesn't hurt to double check. I ordered 8 5000 mAh batteries to build two replacement packs. That should almost double the capacity and I would assume double the charging time.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Batteries installed. So far so good. After 12 hours the battery compartment is room temterature and the side of the TP base that holds the charging circuitry is actually running cooler that it was with the old NiCad packs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.