AVS Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I am curious if there is any benefit you know of going with a static IP from the ISP versus using a DDNS service? The main reason I can think of is less work on the initial router configuration, but once its setup it doesn't need to ever change. I have always gone the DDNS route as a static is not available through my ISP for residential service, so I am using a pro DynDNS account which is currently $99/2years.
I just checked Xfinity and they do not offer a Static IP. So I’m may go with DDNS. I think I can set up through UniFi / Ubiquiti.

What is the process to set up DDNS and have Crestron Home work remotely? This looks like my next step.

Any info or steps would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am considering Crestron Home for my new build, but I want to use third party / homekit devices only, using crestron proprietary equipment only for control and tying everything together (i.e. sonos for sound, lutron for lights and shades, ect...). For that use case, is it still worth it to go with crestron?

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I am considering Crestron Home for my new build, but I want to use third party / homekit devices only, using crestron proprietary equipment only for control and tying everything together (i.e. sonos for sound, lutron for lights and shades, ect...). For that use case, is it still worth it to go with crestron?

That’s sort of what I did in my new build.

I am using Lutron lights (RA2), Lutron shades, Lutron tstats (main floor and second floor), Lutron vacancy sensors. I use Sonos for sound in a couple rooms I didn’t wire. Most music is with a Crestron amps and in ceiling speakers (8 zones). With Crestron Home you can combine your Sonos speakers and in wall speakers seamlessly and group them if you like. My Hikvision cameras, standard doorbell and Honeywell Security is integrated as well. All accessible via the Crestron iPhone app, touchscreens, etc.

I have Crestron vacancy sensors and thermostats for theater and basement (You can’t integrate Lutron tstats into Crestron Home so I am replacing my Lutron Tstats). I just installed a Crestron tstat tonight in the basement to test. All good. Next, replace the theater tstat.

Control is with Crestron remotes, iPhone, Crestron touch pads.

Video distribution is all Crestron NVX. Very reliable.

Crestron Home has been reliable and I’d fully recommend it. It can be integrated with HomeKit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That’s sort of what I did in my new build.

I am using Lutron lights (RA2), Lutron shades, Lutron tstats (main floor and second floor), Lutron vacancy sensors. I use Sonos for sound in a couple rooms I didn’t wire. Most music is with a Crestron amps and in ceiling speakers (8 zones). With Crestron Home you can combine your Sonos speakers and in wall speakers seamlessly and group them if you like. My Hikvision cameras, standard doorbell and Honeywell Security is integrated as well. All accessible via the Crestron iPhone app, touchscreens, etc.

I have Crestron vacancy sensors and thermostats for theater and basement (You can’t integrate Lutron tstats into Crestron Home so I am replacing my Lutron Tstats). I just installed a Crestron tstat tonight in the basement to test. All good. Next, replace the theater tstat.

Control is with Crestron remotes, iPhone, Crestron touch pads.

Video distribution is all Crestron NVX. Very reliable.

Crestron Home has been reliable and I’d fully recommend it. It can be integrated with HomeKit.
That's reassuring to hear.

I am on the fence about video distribution. I will have between 5-7 TVs, so it may make sense. Is there a lag for gaming? Haven't spoken to an integrator yet, any ballpark costs for video distribution?

Also, does crestron home offer any end user customizability (like how C4 allows the end user to make their own automations/scenes without needing to call in the integrator)?

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hi. Yes there are scenes and other things you can program on a user level. There is a separate log in for users for limited programming.

With smart TVs, I’m not sure how needed video distribution is. The quality and apps on a good tv is pretty impressive these days. But I wanted to distribute my cameras, Kaleidescape, etc.so I added the NVX distribution.

The Crestron NVXs are nice and very high quality. I’m not a gamer so can’t speak to latency. Ask your dealer. I distribute 4K HDR to all my TVs. Switching is fast and reliable.

I distribute 2 Xfinity cable boxes, Kaleidescape, Apple TV 4K, Cameras, Blu Ray.

I haven’t integrated it into my theater as there are no drivers for Lumagen or Trinnov. I have a conventional Crestron system for the theater. I’d rather have it Crestron Home. I’m sure I’ll have drivers soon and then I’ll convert.

Its such a slick interface and so easy for the integrator to program compared to regular Crestron. You’ll save a lot of money in programming as Crestron Home is easy to program - you can do it with an iPad. No coding.

The music system and control and video distribution Is solid and easy enough for my family to use. The remotes are great as well.

My (conventional) doorbell is sweet in that when rung, it briefly puts the cameras to each TV and the Crestron keypads also ring. In the theater, a doorbell ring flashes lights to get my attention. Pretty sweet.

The security system is also set up with scenes. For example, if an alarm goes off, all lights in the house go on full brightness and the cameras come on every television.

After sunset, if I turn on Kaleidescape, the lights will dim in that room. Simple stuff and easy to program.

Ballpark for music, video distribution, speakers, TVs, amps, cameras, doorbell, Lutron Lighting, Crestron programming, etc could be $50K -$100K. This was for everything installed. I had 3 quotes for my 4500 sa ft new build and they ranged from $60K - $120K. This was for C4 and Savant. Crestron Home would be a bit less though video distribution can be expensive if you do a lot of TVs. I did 5 TVs, 6 sources. Other TVs are on ROKU sticks - I didn’t do distribution to exercise, bathroom TVs.

Just put wire everywhere (Cat 6), Cresnet wire and conduit. I ran 3 Cat 6 to every tv.

That said, if all the ’smart home’ items I did, the most satisfying is having the entire home on Lutron Ra2. With vacancy sensors and the right programming, we hardly touch a keypad and our walls aren’t cluttered with paddles. The wife loves it. And since I took the Lutron courses, I programmed it all myself. The

Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Crestron NVXs are nice and very high quality. I’m not a gamer so can’t speak to latency. Ask your dealer. I distribute 4K HDR to all my TVs. Switching is fast and reliable.

I haven’t integrated it into my theater as there are no drivers for Lumagen or Trinnov. I have a conventional Crestron system for the theater. I’d rather have it Crestron Home. I’m sure I’ll have drivers soon and then I’ll convert.

Just put wire everywhere (Cat 6), Cresnet wire and conduit. I ran 3 Cat 6 to every tv.

That said, if all the ’smart home’ items I did, the most satisfying is having the entire home on Lutron Ra2. With vacancy sensors and the right programming, we hardly touch a keypad and our walls aren’t cluttered with paddles. The wife loves it. And since I took the Lutron courses, I programmed it all myself.
Latency on NVX is roughly 30ms at 60fps from end to end. If it is someone serious about gaming it could be an issue, but for most it would be fine. I find most of the time a game console gets installed as a local sources in a single room and doesn't need to be distributed or there are multiple gaming systems used (multiple people wanting to game at the same time).

There is an SDK available for Crestron Home now, we are developing some stuff internally for additional lighting systems that are currently supported so I could imagine you will see a lot more drivers available soon.

I would add an RG-6 Coax to each of the TV location if you are freshly pulling cable. You might not use, but the next home owner that just wanted a cable box behind the TV will appreciate it.

If you haven't played with Crestron Lighting I would recommend taking a look at it especially if you are using Crestron Home. There are quite a few more keypad options with Crestron as well as dimmer/switch combo in a single gang unit (great for bedroom lighting and fan control in a single switch), panelized units, etc. I find it is also a bit cheaper than Lutron as a whole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advice on this issue below

I have an issue now that I think is a bug (Problems with making Music / Media Scenes):

I have newest Crestron Home software (sept 30). When making music scenes, when in create media scenes area and press my source (Sonos Connect S1 or any source for that matter), the rooms all disappear for some reason. So since I can’t select any rooms - I can’t generate a scene. Music works fine from all iPhones and touch pads when I call up the music zones. So my set up appears correct.. Just can’t make a scene.

But It’s spotty as one lucky time the rooms did not disappear when in create media scene and I could make a couple scenes. Happens on iPad and PC.

I reset the Control processor and it worked for a bit - and successfully made a scene. Likely a bug but anyone who knows the system, is there something else I'm missing?

Bug? Errors on my part?

Thanks

When in media Scenes, I get this page (below)

When I select any source, all rooms disappear. IN fact, the check mark will only 'stick' in None. When I select none, rooms stay and are selectable.(below)

I have the same issue. Did you find a fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have an issue now that I think is a bug (Problems with making Music / Media Scenes):

I have newest Crestron Home software (sept 30). When making music scenes, when in create media scenes area and press my source (Sonos Connect S1 or any source for that matter), the rooms all disappear for some reason. So since I can’t select any rooms - I can’t generate a scene. Music works fine from all iPhones and touch pads when I call up the music zones. So my set up appears correct.. Just can’t make a scene.

But It’s spotty as one lucky time the rooms did not disappear when in create media scene and I could make a couple scenes. Happens on iPad and PC.

I reset the Control processor and it worked for a bit - and successfully made a scene. Likely a bug but anyone who knows the system, is there something else I'm missing?

Bug? Errors on my part?

Thanks

When I select any source, all rooms disappear. IN fact, the check mark will only 'stick' in None. When I select none, rooms stay and are selectable.(below)

Bug? Errors on my part?

Thanks

I have encountered the same issue. Did you ever find a fix for this? it worked once for me and then nothing since then - same issues you report.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have encountered the same issue. Did you ever find a fix for this? it worked once for me and then nothing since then - same issues you report.
Yes. When I do updates using new App on my Mac or PC, I don’t get this issue. Seemed related to using iPad or going directly to processor web address. Try that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. When I do updates using new App on my Mac or PC, I don’t get this issue. Seemed related to using iPad or going directly to processor web address. Try that.
That’s good to hear. Next question (sorry), how do i access this system from my Mac computer? Is there an App for that? I am the end user, not the installer. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
That’s good to hear. Next question (sorry), how do i access this system from my Mac computer? Is there an App for that? I am the end user, not the installer. Thanks.
Same app. Download XPanel app. There’s a Mac and PC version. You can download from Crestron website / downloads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same app. Download XPanel app. There’s a Mac and PC version. You can download from Crestron website / downloads.
Got it thanks. Strange, the first time i used the Mac app, i could select rooms (ie problem fixed). But i went into it later on and the same issue as the IPad issue. I cant select any rooms. So weird.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts