AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have purchased 4 Gateway Touchpads which I have windows 98 installed on and want to use these computers as remote controls via IR to control my Denon AVR-5800, RCA DTC-100 DSS receiver and projector. I'm looking for an interface sort of like Creston's, AMX, Elan etc..

Is there any software available as a GUI interface to control my equipment via IR through these computers? I havn't seen to find any real links to any software like this anywhere. If you could e-mail me with links or post them here that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Chris

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
My CQC system is close to what you want, but I've not done the IR blaster driver for it yet, so it couldn't control some of your stuff.

Also, you are going to need to upgrade the 5800 firmware if you want to use the serial control system (which is preferable to IR.) The original 5800 is woeful in that area, but if you do the upgrade to the 5803 firmware, it has a protocol that should work pretty well with my 4802 CQC driver.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schris403
Hi I have purchased 4 Gateway Touchpads which I have windows 98 installed on and want to use these computers as remote controls via IR to control my Denon AVR-5800, RCA DTC-100 DSS receiver and projector. I'm looking for an interface sort of like Creston's, AMX, Elan etc..

Is there any software available as a GUI interface to control my equipment via IR through these computers? I havn't seen to find any real links to any software like this anywhere. If you could e-mail me with links or post them here that would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not very familiar with the Gateway Touchpads, but it looks like they have a built in web browser, so one of many options available to you is to purchase a Crestron controller with an ethernet card and use the Crestron web server to host your system control pages. This would also give you the ability to use IR to control devices that need it, RS-232 to control devices that have the appropriate ports, and all sorts of other nifty things. You can often find Crestron equipment on ebay at reasonable prices. You would need at least a CNMSX-AV control processor and a CNXENET or CNXENET+ ethernet card.

·
Registered
855 Posts
And, of course, for the extremely hardcore do-it-yourselfer there is Girder and its HTTPd plugin that makes it controlable from any browser on the network.

NOTE: Girder is hard to learn and hard to set up. It is also extremely powerful.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is also software from Premise Systems (premisesystems.com), it completely fits the bill here, but it is somewhat pricey (around $1K)

Pablo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.