Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious /forum/post/16936161

Here is the link to Crestron's Prodigy for those of you who maybe interested.

Also here is a link to Crestron's Prodigy Brochure for those who maybe interested.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't looked through any documentation yet, does anyone know if this is a closed programming device, or can I write simpl/simpl+ programs for it?

Scott

EDIT: According to some posts over at the yahoo crestron programmer group, you can load custom programs.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
It was a little funny that, in that article, it's stated that they made it 'clear' that they didn't create it to go after C4, but then if you read the rest of that section, I think anyone could read between the lines that it's lightly disguised FUD about C4 :)

We are a huge company (as compared to who that wasn't already in the market?) We don't depend on future funding (as apposed to what other company making inroads that might?) We have huge revenues and lots of offices (as apposed to what other upcoming competitor in that segment of the market?)

All is fair in love and war and business, but I just found that to be a particularly funny example of spin-meistering.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Am I the only one who finds it strange that they dont list the processors speed? for example the X gen operated at 1mip adagio is 66 or 67 mips and the 2 series stuff is 257mips. Wonder why that info isn't posted for this product

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgshanaf /forum/post/16937846

Thanks for posting this. I haven't looked through any documentation yet, does anyone know if this is a closed programming device, or can I write simpl/simpl+ programs for it?

Scott

EDIT: According to some posts over at the yahoo crestron programmer group, you can load custom programs.

I was told by Crestron today that you can not upload any SIMPL+/SIMPLWindows Code or Modules to a Prodigy system.

FYI, We will be doing a Prodigy install the week after CEDIA, when we get back. If, at that point, no one has posted on programming I will post my experience with the install and programming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
darn. I was ready to buy one.

Please let us know what you find!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious /forum/post/16944426

I was told by Crestron today that you can not upload any SIMPL+/SIMPLWindows Code or Modules to a Prodigy system.

FYI, We will be doing a Prodigy install the week after CEDIA, when we get back. If, at that point, no one has posted on programming I will post my experience with the install and programming.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We were told today at the office that prodigy has not shipped out to any dealers and will not begin till the end of Aug. I won't believe it until I see it, however.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Simpl Windows programs CAN be uploaded to the Prodigy system. Programming software has been posted to their FTP site and their FAQ's have been updated. Basically, the only programming limitations are on the size of the system and limiting the hardware to Prodigy only hardware. I created a SystemBuilder custom program and was able to edit it with no problems in SimplWindows. No tuners, ipod docks, or MR amplifiers shipping in the initial wave, but it appears to be a pretty sweet product for small installations. Very, very cost effective.

Plus, you can add up to 4 TCP/IP clients to the system to enable controls of other manufacturer systems or you can use the 2 on-board 232 ports too.

Very nice, though I don't see why I still have to pay the higher cost for a TPS-4L or MLX-2 (or ipod docks, etc) when they obviously don't cost that much to produce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The prodigy line does illustrate quite clearly the profit margin Crestron has with their gear. Don't get me wrong, R&D goes into their equipment and it generally works well, and they have good support, but damn.

I doubt these coldfire based processors are pricey, either.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi /forum/post/17078994

Simpl Windows programs CAN be uploaded to the Prodigy system. Programming software has been posted to their FTP site and their FAQ's have been updated. Basically, the only programming limitations are on the size of the system and limiting the hardware to Prodigy only hardware. I created a SystemBuilder custom program and was able to edit it with no problems in SimplWindows. No tuners, ipod docks, or MR amplifiers shipping in the initial wave, but it appears to be a pretty sweet product for small installations. Very, very cost effective.

Plus, you can add up to 4 TCP/IP clients to the system to enable controls of other manufacturer systems or you can use the 2 on-board 232 ports too.

Very nice, though I don't see why I still have to pay the higher cost for a TPS-4L or MLX-2 (or ipod docks, etc) when they obviously don't cost that much to produce.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So what are the differences between a 4L and a PTL4 to warrant a $600 price difference?

Other than the obvious that the person buying the 4L can probably afford the $600 while the person buying the PTL4 might not be able to.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcn /forum/post/17092239

So what are the differences between a 4L and a PTL4 to warrant a $600 price difference?

Other than the obvious that the person buying the 4L can probably afford the $600 while the person buying the PTL4 might not be able to.

The PTL4 cannot be used with a full Crestron system. It is Prodigy specific. The TPS-4L can. That's is the difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/17092620

The PTL4 cannot be used with a full Crestron system. It is Prodigy specific. The TPS-4L can. That's is the difference.

Is that b/c of hardware or because it is convenient not to allow people who want full Crestron systems to be able to buy a PTL4 at lower prices?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, according to the CE Pro article,

"The sample system included four zones of audio, one thermostat, 15 wireless light dimmers/switches and an in-wall touchscreen. The retail pricing for Prodigy was about $5,500 -- nearly the same as the competition."

If retail price for this system is $5,500, approx. what do you think dealers will be selling the Prodigy solution for all in (installation, programming, design etc)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
-redacted-

One of the benefits of Prodigy is that it does not require a full GUI design from scratch, it can be programmed easily with System Builder which is a point and click GUI builder from Crestron. That drastically reduces the amount of time spent programming the system!

With this Prodigy offering Crestron is competing with the Control4, RTI, URC, etc of the world, and making Crestron finally affordable to the masses.

The great thing about home automation hobby is that there will always be a vibrant community around it. There are many Crestron programmers available for hire on this forum if you ever need support AVSforum is the place to get help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Prodigy is meant to be more of a prosumer solution to home automation. It is unfortunate that it isn't compatible with the full on crestron systems, but you don't need a CAIP and your high-end pc/hometheater type should be able to walk through the gui to "program" the system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts