AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new home (500sq feet) and have started getting some bids on automation and AV systems. Distributed video not big priority (only 2 tv's and one is in a stand alone game room) and distributd audio going to 4 different zones. Alarm, cameras and thermostats all will be integrated. Biggest priority is lighting (especially elimination of wall acne) and shades. Got it down to 2 different proposals:

1) a crestron pyng system with sonos for the audio and all crestron wireless lighting and shades (and alarm, tstats etc). Only missing item here is gate camera/intercom system. Any ideas??

2) a Control 4 system with panelists lighting in kitchen and living room and wireless rest of the house with with either mecho shades or qmotion shades. Includes integrated gate video and intercom.

Control4 system as quoted about 7k more.

Budget will bust with full crestron (non pyng) system or with full panelized lighting in control4 system.

Would like some opinions and feedback please. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Pyng is new and has some limited functionality. At least with Control4, you know you can grow as your needs grow. When I started I only wanted lighting, audio and tstats. I now have security cameras, distributed video, doors, etc. Was easy to add on.

Your c4 quote is higher, but you are getting panelized lighting and the gate/intercom functionality. So not truly an apples to apples comparison. If Pyng were more advanced it would be easier to compare, but since its a new release, and still has limited hardware compatibility but "growing" you would have to take some faith that the platform continues to mature. You know C4 comes out with a new OS 2-3 times a year with updates, etc.

Also not sure if Pyng/Crestron allow the home user to make changes, at least with C4 you can do some programming on your own, but you need a dealer to add the hardware into the project.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Crestron DOES have the ability to integrate with Sonos. 3rd party modules, I've seen it work.
As far as lighting changes, Pyng is very easy to manipulate....and YES BY THE USER.
Certainly both Crestron and Control 4 have great lighting hardware and programming capabilities so that shouldn't make your decision for you.
Pyng is very good for systems with Lighting/Shades, Security, Climate Control, and distributed audio. If you go beyond that, Pyng can be combined with a larger Crestron Processor to add ultimate automation/control/integration later down the line.

Your decision should come down to the DEALER.

Who are you most comfortable with? Who do you feel like you have a better relationship with? Who has done a better job at showing you real examples of their work?

I've programmed both Control 4 and Crestron, each are powerful and have their merits. The dealer is what you should focus on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why does the Control4 dealer want to do panelized lighting in only two rooms, and wireless dimmers in the rest of the house? To keep price down? That seems odd.
Yes to keep costs done. Thanks for the replies all. I'm leaning toward the crestron system because the dealer has been very accessible and knowledgable. Still working on a solution for the gate however.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Why does the Control4 dealer want to do panelized lighting in only two rooms, and wireless dimmers in the rest of the house? To keep price down? That seems odd.
Why? This keeps the wall wart count down in those rooms that often have multiple lighting circuits. Eg. Kitchen pendants. Recessed spots, above cabinet in cabinet counter etc.
All will have scenes controlling it. Same in the living roon.

Most bedrooms and bathrooms are single lighting circuit.

This is similar to how my apartment is wired.

It also gives a strong zigbee mesh.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's kinda the point. Actually my master bath has three loads but with the panel you can remove secondary loads from wall wart status.

Part of my panel is enttec DMX drivers for some of those loads! I have a coloronix light in the shower for any color shower I choose!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.