AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serial control is a weak point for me. I've only had success with two devices.

My projector was easy. Each function is one character per string line. If a function that requires two button presses like a memory location in the projector which are called channels, you would press [2] and then [channel] and it would go to channel 2. It would be expressed on the string line as [2c]

(without the brackets). Now I'd like to control a LG flat screen. I have the protocol but I'm not sure how to express them on the string line. For power, it shows command1 as [k] and command2 as [a] (without the brackets) then data hexadecimal 00-01. So the question is, how do I express power on, on the string line. I've been spoiled by IR but IR won't work for me in this case as I need direct input control which IR does not do. If I had a sample of what power on should look like, I'm sure I could figure out the rest. Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is the power on command for a 42" LG Plasma display;

ka 0 0\

here is the break down of that command...

k = basically a start transmission command

a = family command belongs to. If i recall correctly power commands are "a" input select are "b". follow the manual and you wont have any problems.

0 = device address

0 = power off command

\

= Crestron's delimeter for a carriage return.

Good Luck,

Richard Leek, CTS, CAIP

ProgramBytes
www.programbytes.com

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/18157174

Serial control is a weak point for me. I've only had success with two devices.

My projector was easy. Each function is one character per string line. If a function that requires two button presses like a memory location in the projector which are called channels, you would press [2] and then [channel] and it would go to channel 2. It would be expressed on the string line as [2c]

(without the brackets). Now I'd like to control a LG flat screen. I have the protocol but I'm not sure how to express them on the string line. For power, it shows command1 as [k] and command2 as [a] (without the brackets) then data hexadecimal 00-01. So the question is, how do I express power on, on the string line. I've been spoiled by IR but IR won't work for me in this case as I need direct input control which IR does not do. If I had a sample of what power on should look like, I'm sure I could figure out the rest. Thanks,

Chip

Are you doing this with crestron?

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwoo /forum/post/18159803

Are you doing this with crestron?

Yes.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've pretty much figured it out but with one small problem that I'm sure can be done. I have not figured out how to "ramp" the volume. I'd like a volume up and down button. The protocol shows that you have to select a level from 00(low) and 64(high). Many of the tv's controls are this way but the only one that I think I need for day to day use is the volume.

I want to keep the kids room as simple as I can and limit their control to.

power on

power off

vol up

vol down

mute

input select

Any other menu related adjustments will be done with the supplied remote.

·
Registered
405 Posts
there are multiple ways of doing this. you can use an analog ramp bounds limited with limitations 0 - 64 and then you can take the analog value to an equate with a one tied to the enable. then you can have 64 digital output for each value and each output would go directly to an SIO that has all 64 command strings. I think you may find this the easiest. Analog ramp will allow you to slow and increase the rate of speed at which you want the volume to increase and decrease.

short review:

Analog Ramp (bounds limited) volume up, down and mute feed this

analog Equate with 64 outputs and a 1 tied to the enable

SIO with 64 inputs and each parameter is a different volume command

Hope that helps

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to see if i can wrap my novice brain around it and see if I can make it work. Me and serial ain't exactly on speaking terms

I did find a LG RS-232 module on the yahoo site but after opening it up, it appears to be for a 2-series processor and I'm still using a cnmsx pro.

In the mean time, I'll be working on the GUI for that room. It will take a bit more thought as it will have to be super easy to navigate as my youngest boy is autistic and spends most of his time in that room. He does do a pretty good job of navigating the main theater touch panel which has about 20 pages total.

The kids playroom should be a easy program. It will have 4 source selections,

FIOS HD (HDMI 1)

Sony Mega changer (HDMI 2)

Sony PS3 (HDMI 3)

4 std def game consoles connected to a manual switcher. He understands the manual game switch so I'll leave it in the mix and route the AV out to the (AV 1) in on the TV.

The Fios and Mega changer pages can be copied from the main theater touch panel with new joins of course. That just leaves the LG and a little bit of logic to work out.

Something I just thought of, as both rooms will be sharing the mega changer, I will need logic to keep them from having the ability to control the changer when the theater is using it. I don't care if they switch to and watch at the same time but no control. My youngest one has a button jones and likes to play the same scene over and over again.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/18175180

I'll have to see if i can wrap my novice brain around it and see if I can make it work. Me and serial ain't exactly on speaking terms

I did find a LG RS-232 module on the yahoo site but after opening it up, it appears to be for a 2-series processor and I'm still using a cnmsx pro.

In the mean time, I'll be working on the GUI for that room. It will take a bit more thought as it will have to be super easy to navigate as my youngest boy is autistic and spends most of his time in that room. He does do a pretty good job of navigating the main theater touch panel which has about 20 pages total.

The kids playroom should be a easy program. It will have 4 source selections,

FIOS HD (HDMI 1)

Sony Mega changer (HDMI 2)

Sony PS3 (HDMI 3)

4 std def game consoles connected to a manual switcher. He understands the manual game switch so I'll leave it in the mix and route the AV out to the (AV 1) in on the TV.

The Fios and Mega changer pages can be copied from the main theater touch panel with new joins of course. That just leaves the LG and a little bit of logic to work out.

Something I just thought of, as both rooms will be sharing the mega changer, I will need logic to keep them from having the ability to control the changer when the theater is using it. I don't care if they switch to and watch at the same time but no control. My youngest one has a button jones and likes to play the same scene over and over again.

Well if you need help you can archive your program and I(or someone else) can take a look at it.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks but I'll get it. I just needed a kick_in_the_ right_direction.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwoo /forum/post/18172672

there are multiple ways of doing this. you can use an analog ramp bounds limited with limitations 0 - 64 and then you can take the analog value to an equate with a one tied to the enable. then you can have 64 digital output for each value and each output would go directly to an SIO that has all 64 command strings. I think you may find this the easiest. Analog ramp will allow you to slow and increase the rate of speed at which you want the volume to increase and decrease.

short review:

Analog Ramp (bounds limited) volume up, down and mute feed this

analog Equate with 64 outputs and a 1 tied to the enable

SIO with 64 inputs and each parameter is a different volume command

Hope that helps

That's pretty dirty!!

Why not just a bit of simpl+ or if procedural programming is not your thing then an Analog to Serial jobby (Simpl Windows).

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon Filter /forum/post/18197805

That's pretty dirty!!

Why not just a bit of simpl+ or if procedural programming is not your thing then an Analog to Serial jobby (Simpl Windows).

LOL because he said he is not really familiar with serial.. so with that being said I assume he is not really ready to get into simpl+... I also said there are multiple ways of doing it haha I knew someone would jump on me.. I was just throwing out a suggestion that I thought would be easy for him to understand based on the info given.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahwoo /forum/post/18197859

LOL because he said he is not really familiar with serial.. so with that being said I assume he is not really ready to get into simpl+... I also said there are multiple ways of doing it haha I knew someone would jump on me.. I was just throwing out a suggestion that I thought would be easy for him to understand based on the info given.

True enough, point taken and wasn't having a dig

With programming in general there are just always many many ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis erskine /forum/post/18202135

...i like the "pay someone else to do it" method. :d

+1

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18202135

...I like the "pay someone else to do it" method.

Where's the fun in that

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/18206902

Been there. Done that. Tired of it. I pay one of my guys ...

OTOH, you want a DMX controller on a Homeworks system ... I'm all over that.

For someone who has had no formal Crestron training, I think I'm doing quite well. I was introduced to Crestron software along with a bet that I couldn't get one device working in (I can't remember if it was a week or a month). I failed big time as I was to stubborn to ask for help resulting in a ten month over time penalty. The bet was lunch and I still owe payment. I wonder how much the juice is

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK been away for a while (who's kidding, I'm away when I'm here)

My final volume control is a bit different from what was suggested but it works. It does have one small problem for which I do not have a solution. If I push and hold, it ramps up smoothly, one increment at a time but for some reason, gets to #9 then skips to #16 and continues on. It does this both if I push and hold or press and release for one increment at a time and in both directions. This is what I used.

TP > 2-oscillators > numeric keypad > analog equate > SIO with 1 on enable.

I also used a "or" and "toggle" to re-set mute.

Note: what I'm missing is not 10d-15d (of 64d) but a 5% bump on screen of 100%.

I'm going to polish off a pot of coffee while I stare at this to see if I can locate my goof

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.