AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question for the Crestron system programmers: If I get a controller on the network by enabling the IP interface and assigning it an IP address, what is the most common, or recommended way for remote access to that system through the controller? Does Crestron provide any kind of service that allows me to tunnel into, or rather, "interact" with that controller as long as it's hooked up to the internet? Or do I need a direct "IN" to that internal network that the controller is on by means of port forwarding? I'd like some information about this just for my own curiosity.

I know that port forwarding would probably work, it's also the most obvious method (to me), but I don't know about any of the procedures to get the controller set up for that, or if it's even the appropriate way to have remote connection to the Crestron system.

Thanks in advance for any replies I receive on this matter! I would just like some insight into this topic before I go around manipulating a couple systems that I have. I'd also like to not have to rely on a PC on the network that I can just remote desktop into, in which has the software, so I can connect to the controller through that local PC either; I know it's an option, but it is without a doubt a very lame one. Additionally, if I wasn't doing this for myself, it probably would never be an option because having the software on a client's PC would probably be a very bad thing for software terms of use!!

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Join the Crestron Yahoo Group. Search there - logmein, RDP, Teamviewer, VPN.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I think most rely on a PC in the rack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe it's just me but that seems like a very hacky way of doing it. That would mean I need a PC per network, with a static IP assigned to it, and port forwarding all configured properly, along with all of the software installed on that PC (which might even mean that I need to maintain updates to all of the software on those PC's).

Hmmm... Thanks for the input however, it is appreciated!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got it to work by port forwarding for the range 41794 to 41795 for the CIP and CTP ports. Now I can connect to the controller using my router's public IP address. Because port forwarding is required for RDP anyways, I wouldn't even bother with setting up a PC on the internal network, I'd rather just set up an entry to connect to the controller directly.

It was pretty simple to figure out. I should mention that now because you can access your system remotely, it's probably a very good idea that you password protect the console within the IP configuration window as well so that you need to enter in a password into the prompt window before you can access it. Just a layer of security, rather than having nothing at all.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Join the Crestron Yahoo Group. Search there - logmein, RDP, Teamviewer, VPN.
I think that most people would use a VPN.

I've read of a service that Crestron offers for issuing static IPs.

Opening up your network is a mistake, IMHO.

Join and search at Yahoo for details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts