AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a dedicated home theater. I have had two different proposals for a control system -- Crestron and iPronto. I will be using it to control all of the electronics (projector -- Runco, Yamaha, Dwin or Sharp), Anthem processor and amp, Panasonic RP-91 DVD player, etc.) as well as a Grafick eye for lighting. In terms of functionality, what are the differences? Why should I select one over the other?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
tough question.

1) Crestron is a company, and they have many products while the other is a model of a remote

2) A Crestron system can go from a bit more then a iPronto to the cost of a house

3) the iPronto will have a base, but it is not out yet, so until it is out we will not know its full capabilities

·
Registered
23 Posts
ITrade,

To answer your question thoroughly would require pages. The differences are to many for a post here. Check out the thread 'Do it yourself Crestron system' for some beginning info. Go to Crestron's site and download some manuals and sales literature.

But, in a nutshell- A Crestron system can be scaled up to control an entire office complex from a single CPU. In fact, theoretically, almost every Crestron CNX and 2-Series in the world could be connected together into one big matrix-like control system. There isn't anything a home theater could throw at a Crestron system that it couldn't handle. It's not a case of Crestron missing some sort of feature.

The only downsides to a Crestron or AMX system COMPARED to any other remote control system is price and programming complexity. Both require a professional programmer to wring the most out of the system and the buy-in price is too high for most people.

So, if I may suggest, I would recommend changing your question from 'Why should I select one over the other?' to 'What do I want to do today and tommorrow? (ie. expandabillty)' and 'How much time and money do I want to invest?'

Good luck, Eric.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Based on Philips history with the Pronto (and the length of time it took them to address bugs and poor design), I would never even consider the first generation of iPronto. Crestron is established, has been on the market for years and works reliably. Also, personally, the iPronto doesn't look like a convient interface to me in terms of holding it and using it.

·
Super Moderator
21,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Based on Philips history with the Pronto (and the length of time it took them to address bugs and poor design), I would never even consider the first generation of iPronto. Crestron is established, has been on the market for years and works reliably. Also, personally, the iPronto doesn't look like a convient interface to me in terms of holding it and using it.
actually the iPronto is easy to hold and operate: the touch screen is large enough to use fingers or a stylus, and is very responsive to both- the touchscreen is large enough so you don't need as many page turns ; you can fit more buttons on a given screen and you can display multiple devices on one screen simultaneously

it is thinner than a Crestron remote

no question Crestron is a much more refined , powerful , and capable system but the iPronto shows a lot of potential

and you can program the iPronto yourself- you can learn IR codes without any software, you can use iPronto edit , and you can upload and download from/to the iPronto- very user friendly

it may take awhile for the iPronto to fully develop but I think it is a benchmark product

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
actually the iPronto is easy to hold and operate: the touch screen is large enough to use fingers or a stylus, and is very responsive to both- the touchscreen is large enough so you don't need as many page turns ; you can fit more buttons on a given screen and you can display multiple devices on one screen simultaneously

it is thinner than a Crestron remote

no question Crestron is a much more refined , powerful , and capable system but the iPronto shows a lot of potential

and you can program the iPronto yourself- you can learn IR codes without any software, you can use iPronto edit , and you can upload and download from/to the iPronto- very user friendly

Mark
To tell you the truth, when products like this come out, it gets harder and harder to convince someone to step up to a Crestron or AMX when they just want to control a dvd player and a projector. It looks like a pretty nice device.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zomb3
To tell you the truth, when products like this come out, it gets harder and harder to convince someone to step up to a Crestron or AMX when they just want to control a dvd player and a projector. It looks like a pretty nice device.
That's what people said when the Pronto came out and sales have continued to skyrocket for Crestron for several straight years. The iPronto will hardly put a dent in Crestron's sales. If I was Crestron I'd be concerned for the future (as every company should be), but because of Microsoft, not Philips.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This thread has turned into a nice primer on higher end units. Thanks to all who are contributing. My knowledge base has certainly expanded a great deal since these units were a little hard to learn about given thier general confinement to the "installer market" rather than being in the "DIY market".

It seems that, in general, the Pronto/Ocelot combination represents about as good a HA/remote control system as can be put together on a smaller budget and with minimal programming expertise.

Deane

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree, and they have the clout to do it, but MS also has a short attention span, they have tried entering several markets where they just gave up.

While Philips has shown that they are into remotes and willing to bring the bar higher. In a sense they might even be beneficial to Crestron, since Prontos tend to wet the appetite and some might decide to go higher end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Micrsoft's angle into this market is geared more towards the residential automation end of things. As someone mentioned earlier, a crestron system can range from several thousand to the price of a home.

Microsoft's first forry into automation was through a UPnP platform, in which individual devices could be hot-swapped and instantly controlled via various methods (including PLC transmission as well). These devices would range from lightbulbs to refrigerators to home theater pre-pros.

However, microsoft has partially abandoned this program, and has begun to toss money at Xplore solutions (an upstart crestron competitor made up of former AMX, crestron and microsoft employees). Xplore is entirely IP based, so the programming is done in Java and XML rather than a proprietary language (i.e. SIMPL or NetLinx studio). Xplore has some advantages over Crestron and AMX, but it has some disadvantages too.

Hopefully Xplore won't take over too much or else professional Creston programmers like me are going to have to adopt a new programming set!

Barry

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Barry, what do your base your info on? I have not heard that Microsoft is "throwing money at Xplore" and the fact that programming is done in Java would also seem to contradict that. They are in the Microsoft Mobile Solutions Partner Program but that is nothing special.

I'm not down on XPlore, they look like a neat new company - I just am not ware of any Microsoft ties.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QQQ-

I was told by the gang at Crestron and CAT (California Audio Technologies) that Xplore received funding from Microsoft when Xplore initially launched their buisness. Also, I am under the understanding that either ActiveX or Java can be used as a programming platform.

B

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shieldsj
Are these two mutually exclusive?

Can I use an ipronto as a front-end into a Creston-based system?

-jim
A module was being developed for just that purpose. I don't know the status of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.