Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Lead us not into temptation ..."

This is easier said than done. The hottest male actor in Mexican cinema arrives in a small town, and he's a priest. That would be Gael Garcia Bernal, whose last two smash films were Y Tu Mama Tambien and Amores Perros. Paired with Bernal is newcomer Ana Claudia Talancon, the prettiest girl in town. She is the sexiest young latina since Maria (Natalie Wood) of West Side Story. If this smoldering couple were all there was to the story, the film would hardly be controversial. You have seen this before in the Thorn Birds and other movies.

The catholic church is a perplexing institution. Its ties to society and mankind are myriad, and like man, it is flawed. In 1981, John Gregory Dunne's novel True Confessions was brought to the screen. Dunne tackled issues such as the church's power structure and its lay tentacles. The Crime of Padre Amoro deals with the church from a Mexican perspective. The story goes back to a novel written in 1875, but thanks to computers, the volkswagen, tv, and newspapers, it is propelled forward into the 21st century. But the tried and true confessional lays the foundation for its most powerful screen moments.

PQ is 4 out of 5. EE is isolated, and not a distraction. Colors are deep, and almost Kodachrome in appearance. The movie was one of five nominated for Best Foreign film (ampas). This is the first that has come out on dvd. Commentary by the director (Carlos Carrera) and the star (Bernal) are in Spanish, but their words are subtitled in english. Don't you wish they did that for Brotherhood of the Wolf or Infernal Affairs?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Was it a good movie?
If you liked Amores Perros and Y Tu Mama Tambien, you'll like this movie. Mexican cinema is at the same stage as Hong Kong cinema circa 1990. It is an exciting time for our neighbor to the south. Good quality stuff. Very interesting.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The story was not as good as Y Tu Mama Tambien, IMO, but an interesting movie, nonetheless. I was struck by the picture quality. Very crisp and nicely photographed. The overall R rating was for a mildly explicit sex scene and a fairly graphic bloody scene near the end.

An interesting assortment of characters, and the overall theme of the movie was nicely done. A central irony of the movie (and I don't think this is a spoiler) is that the one person who truly was moral ended up being excommunicated --or at least threatened with it to force him out of the church. The other moral character (or at least one shown with no immoral qualities) was fired and forced to leave town. With all that's come down on the Catholic church lately, this movie will not seem heavy-handed by many, I think.

·
Banned
49 Posts
This movie reminded me why I don't like church, church going people in general, and priests.

It is a good movie, very well acted, but we get caught more by the sex aspect of the movie than by its message. The DVD is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.