AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one of the vendors website's I was referred to the site referenced below.

They are a research firm that supposedly has studied whether plasma or LCD will win the hearts and minds of consumers. Of course you must fork over some dollars for the results.

But some of the criteria, they suggest, that will determine the winner are as follows:

Picture Quality

High Resolution

Screen Size

Longer Product Life

Warranty

What do you think? And who do you think is leading in these criteria?

My take is

------------

PQ - plasma

HR - LCD

SS - plasma

LPL - LCD

W - a wash

Site was: http://www.tfcinfo.com/news.cfm

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you also add DLP (upcoming/new thin form factors, color wheels/chips, etc.), then my take would be:

PQ - wash between plasma and DLP, maybe an edge to plasma

HR - wash between LCD and DLP

SS - DLP

LPL - wash between LCD and DLP (set only, not bulb life; otherwise LCD has edge)

W - a wash

Other considerations:

Size, Thinnest form factor - wash between plasma and LCD

PC compatibility - wash between LCD and DLP/LCOS, maybe an edge to LCD

Heat, Power Consumption, Fan Noise - LCD

Personally, my latest purchase was a 37" LCD (Sharp Aquos LC37HV6U), but I generally agree with the view that in the near future DLP/LCOS will begin to dominate at 50+", LCD will begin to dominate at screen sizes below 42", and plasma will find a niche in the 42" and maybe 50" range. (And those who dare-to-be-different will still go for front-projectors.)

KT

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Actual product life, as opposed to other criteria, is the same. 60,000 hour plasmas are not going to be outlived by anything as a practical matter. And, really, this bulb replacement thing sounds awfully tiresome.

The market forces are going to determine this: cost to manufacture, cost to sell, what people like.

Every single industry forecast -- and every company building this stuff -- says plasmas will sell about 6 million units in 2007 or so (and the plants are all under construction). Nearly all those plasmas are slated to be 40" and greater. The same forecasts -- and the same plants needed to make them real -- have 1 million microdisplay RPTVs and something like 600,000 jumbo LCDs (or it might be twice that, I'd have to check).

So the answer is: No matter what people's particulat pet peeves and personal preferences and peccadilloes are, plasma is going to dominate at 40" and up. This isn't my opinion, this is what's going to happen.

The plants are built or being built for it. No other technology has that.

And, lastly, it is seriously pointless to compare the 7" DLP to a flatscreen. I've seen the DLP and it's a nice product. It takes up a lot of wall and will likely continue to do so for a long while. It's nowhere near as thin. At 50", it's not going to be cheaper (although it will at 60"). It's just not a comparable product and it's expected to have relatively small volumes -- as will all microdisplay products. All of them. Anyone comparing prices would also be advised to assume a realistic 5,000 hour lamp life and therefore add 10 lamps when comparing the price of DLP to flat-panel LCD or plasma... That's $2500-3000 right?

Another thing, it's fine to have opinions that disagree, but when I last checked, there was a demonstration of an 80" plasma, a 76" plasma, a 71" plasma, a 70" plasma, and a dozen or more 60" plasmas. All but the 80" are announced products. How does this make DLP have a screen-size advantage when the largest announced one is 61" (save for that "replace your wall" unit, which is really a DLP front projector and mirror kit)?

Given that Fujitsu has announced a technology to build a 100" plasma with lower power consumption than existing units by far and appears to be going ahead with it... well...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.