AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Criterion's release of Hitchs' "Notorious". I know it was a 2001 non anamorphic release of a 1946 film, but it looks a little soft to me. Maybe soft is not the right word...grainy; I'm not sure but for a criterion release the PQ is not what I expected. Can someone reply or check their copy. Am I expecting to much?

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Quote:
I know it was a 2001 non anamorphic release of a 1946 film, but it looks a little soft to me. Maybe soft is not the right word...grainy
Well, it's an 133:1 AR film. If you were expecting anamorphic maybe you are expecting too much. I do remember some grain but saying that it was 'soft' may be a bit harsh. I will check this one again in the next few days and let you know if I have changed my mind though.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Having owned both the original Anchor Bay release and the Criterion version, I'd say the PQ on the Criterion one is stellar, especially considering the age of the film. Sure, it's not reference quality, if that's all you're looking for. But it's still a really good transfer. Doesn't look soft to me at all.

It's been so long since I sold the Anchor Bay one I don't remember how it's PQ was.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I just saw this the other night. Its not the best old B/W transfer by any means but it is quiet good. Having said that there are sequences where it does look soft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.