AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update: I think my theater is finished (temporarily).

This room was a junk room on the main living floor. My effective floor area is about 15x11.

Video:

Epson 6100 1080p PJ

DIY 125" WilsonArt DW laminate screen with Triple Black velvet border

Monoprice 4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch (Rev. 3.0)

Monoprice Wireless IR Remote Controller Extender

Monoprice cables

PS3 slim with logitech harmony adapter

Harmony 880 remote

Lutron Maestro IR dimmer

Charter HD cable/DVR

Berklines (45090, black Grade 3 leather, power recline - Thanks Roman!)

Audio:

Harmon Kardon AVR430

Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers and center channel

Infinity ERS210 II in-walls for the sides

Infinity subwoofer PS10

Eosone RSP910 (sub made by Polk for Circuit City)

Audiosource Amp300 bridged into 470W RMS @ 8ohms for I-Beam

I-Beam Transducer (bass shaker)

Rubber Isolators for Berklines

MTX powered crossover for Audiosource Amp

A few in-line filters to stop sub buzz

Sanus SFC18 center channel stand (spikes, rubber, cork, etc.)

All cables in cable keepers along the baseboards

1 box OC703 acoustical foam covered in JoAnn's Speaker Cloth

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Critique aside, the important thing is, does it make you happy to use the room? If so, fantastic job!

Seriously, though, you've made nice use of a small, oddly shaped room. The high ceilings probably wreak havoc on your audio, but treating the room would be an interesting proposition for a hobbyist.

One of my favorite parts of my theater setups is swapping in/out equipment and tweaking the systems...it's definitely a demanding (and expensive) hobby if you want it to be, but it's always rewarding. Even when I started out in this hobby and had my "cheaper" systems like you've put together, I always looked forward to watching movies and using my "toys". Enjoy your room!

Great job.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
look nice. but i would loose as much white as possible. take down those posters when the pj is on. perhaps a darkish rug on the floor.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp3719 /forum/post/18134225

I am very happy with the video quality and picture. I wonder if I should invest in a new receiver. The Primus's take 15-100 watts @ 8 ohms (Infinity calls it the "Recommended Amplifier Power Range"). The HK AVR430 puts out 65 Watts @

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Good looking room. I'd paint the air vents the same color as the walls instead of leaving them white. The fan blades could be more color-coordinated with the room- perhaps black blades or even red to match the walls. I'm not a big fan of those picture frames (coming from the picture framing industry) so I'd get something that adds a little heft to the movie posters.

Victor

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would at least paint the angled ceiling in front of the screen to reduce the glare. You will notice a huge diference when watching a movies especially during really bright scenes.

I built my own accoustic panels with sound board, 1X4 for framing and black felt material to cover them. Not very scientific but reduces accoustic reflections. you could easily make them and mount to that angled ceiling and kill two birds with one stone.

As far as the posters go, I get the ones from blockbuster because they have a mat finish and do not reflect the light like the ones you have now.

All that aside it looks like a great theater room.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks good, and will look better with a few changes. One thing I noticed: wouldn't those surround speakers do better mounted differently? They seem to be really close to each end of the couch... like they'd be right beside ones head.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You can actually paint that fan. I did it with mine with Rustolem hammered black spray paint for the motor and arms. For the blades I brushed on one coat of gloss black and then brushed a coat of gloss dark brown (left it kind of streaky with black showing through for a dark grain look). I was very surprised how well they turned out.

I wouldn't worry about the 65 watts from the HK reciever. It is an accurate rating and the equivalent of some the other manufactures 85 watt ratings. I would think it would be plenty for your setup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks man. The red is by Ralph Lauren. If you don't know, red is a huge PITA. Have Home Depot make you a primer (it's a greyish charcoal). Then after the primer you will still need 2 coats of red. Red is a hard color to paint but looks great when you are done. We like it.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp3719 /forum/post/18150471

Posters mounted at a 30 degree angle to prevent reflection. What do you think? I also raised them up 8 inches to make room for acoustic panels at ear height.

that looks pretty cool. but, it also looks pretty distracting(during a movie).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.