AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS is how you do bluray. Criterion got this one right I expect them to be doing 4k for just about every newer release if they want 30 bucks. 2k (corrected)and 35Mbps I could not ask for anything more. If only they would start using two discs like they used to for other releases with an hour of more of hidef extras. This one only had a couple extras so that high bitrate is pure awesome and unmolested. Nice to see some people trying to achieve bluray quality on bluray.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it didn't affect me I guess. I must have read it wrong. Better than just about everything I usually watch on this format. 4K would have been great but I guess it's too much to expect for most films at this point though I don't see any reason why they just don't get it done now. Maybe to them it really is not a concern as most people are under a 100 inches in their home and most likely will always be. Definitely for 75 or 65mm you would want 4k but I am happy with this picture in every regard. DCI using their 250Mb maximum with 4k is usually what I see in theaters so on my current personal setup I don't see the problem with a 2k scan done right at 35Mbps. There should be hardly a difference except in the bitrate limit on bluray and 12 bit color they use. As far as I am concerned it is as close to lossless as bluray can really get atm in 1080p.

It would be cool to see a proper 4k downsample versus a 2k one to bluray. I have a hard time believing it would blow my mind but it seems likely that some things might be more resolute depending on the film.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/0

um

"Guillermo Navarro supervised this new high-definition digital transfer, which was created in 2K resolution on a Spirit 4K Datacine from the original 35mm camera negative."

Ideally should be a 4k subsampling scan from film and downsample to 1080p? (excluding AQ which is another topic)

I'm just wondering major studios should have this capabilities so why can't they do better blu ray in their existing film library or there is something else to it? I do find it weird that consumers have to pay for sub par blu ray and no way to find that out on the box without coming to forums like this.

Unless of course this is so that studios can sell multiple "upgrades"

·
Registered
62 Posts
After seeing Pan's Labyrinth and checking out the review of Cronos on blu-ray.com I knew I had to pick this one up.. Pre-order from Amazon arrived yesterday but I'm waiting for my 50VT25 to come in before I check it out. Pretty excited about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.