AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to rip a BD in such a way that the resulting video is in the film's original aspect ratio? For instance, I rip Escape From New York using MakeMKV and the result is a 1.78:1 image. On my CIH screen I zoom in to show just the 2.35:1 portion of the video. I would like to be able to crop the 1.78:1 image to 2.35:1 for two reasons. First, I am assuming that it would result in a smaller file (though I realize that two solid black bars wouldn't have a lot of pixel info) and second I would think I would get slightly darker black levels in the top and bottom letterbox bars. While my assumptions may prove to be false, I would still like to know if this could be done and what program(s) allow for it.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Is it possible to rip a letterboxed non-16x9-enhanced DVD to MKV so that it is "zoomed" by default and does not show black bars at the sides?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Ripping a BD doesn't alter the aspect ratio in any way. It's just a 1:1 rip of the digital data on the original disc. There may be programs you can use to edit the file and change the aspect ratio, but the simplest way is simply to use the zoom feature on your TV. I'm always amazed at how many people are bothered by seeing black bars at the sides or the top and bottom of a movie or TV show when displayed on a 16:9 monitor or HDTV. They somehow feel cheated and that something is missing that should be filling up the entire screen. The thing is, if you zoom a 4:3 image to fill up the entire screen then you lose part of the image at the top and bottom. Most of us just learn to live with the black bars since we understand that we're getting the entire image the way it was meant to be seen. There's nothing I hate worse than watching a TV show where the network uses "Stretch-O-Vision" to fill up a 16:9 display from a 4:3 video.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
In addition to what captain_video said above, anytime you touch the video, you loss some quality. If that's not your concern, I'd sugges try using Handbrake to re-compress the video and it will do auto-crop like you needed.

Crop the video won't get you much space saving or better blacks but re-compress them will save you some space by sacrificing PQ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts