Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is my Best "All Purpose" Retractable Ceiling Mount Screen Choice for:

An Infocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 DLP H2 bought "now" and the next bi thing 1920 X 1080i SXRD/LCOS/etc later??

I have excellent evening lighting control and a 65" HDTV RPTV for daytime viewing.

I am looking at 96"-110" diagonaly and a throw distance of apporx. 15-16'.

First, I thought the concensous opinion was that a DLP H2 like the 7200/MT8 needed the Stewart Greyhawk.

Am I wrong about that?

Also, I need a microperf screen for L+C+R audio through the screen.

Please post any opions based on the above info .

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
ANY matte white screen

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I thought the concensous opinion was that a DLP H2 like the 7200/MT8 needed the Stewart Greyhawk.

Am I wrong about that?

Also, I need a microperf screen for L+C+R audio through the screen.

Any refined opions based on that added info?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
People in the 70's thought they needed bellbottom blue jeans and avacodo colored appliances.

If we are talking timeless traditional performance a matte white screen will perform valiantly with ANY worthy projector. Only deviate from this if you are trying to specifically overcome a limitation of your viewing environment or equipment. Key word here is trying.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the question of gain- positive, neutral or negative?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Murray,

There are many who will disagree on this and if you can look at some different setups to see what you like, I think that would be best. Some are sensitive to black levels and some more the brightness levels. There are definitely people of feel the "need" for a gray screen with the 7200. Also, the SXRD is claimed to be 3000:1 CR at the device level, so even if it ends up being 2000:1 for the projector there are many here who would claim that a grey screen would be best. Also, we don't know if it will be limited for brightness or have plenty to spare.

I've gone back and forth between the Hi-Power and the HCMW grey screen and haven't figured out which one I prefer. I have both and it kind of depends on what I'm looking for. Tonight I was leaning more toward liking the gray screen with my HT1000 and I'm going to try the gray screen with my DILA to see how I like it.

I think that it is significant that most manufacturers use the Firehawk at the shows (JVC and DWIN excepted).

Also, whether the Firehawk or Greyhawk is better probably depends a lot on your screen size. I would say the bigger the screen the less likely that you have lumens to spare and so the Firehawk would start to win out over the Greyhawk as screen size increases, with the 7200.

There are of course many variables, but I don't think there is one answer for everybody's situations (some need wider viewing angle, some don't, etc).

--Darin

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darin

To further add to the variables, I am looking at 96"-110" diagonaly and a throw distance of apporx. 15-16'.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Murry like Darin said, It comes down to preferences.

You are asking a question like what's going to be the best all around car for me for the next twenty years. What you haven't told us is what you like or what you would use it for?

If your trying to acheive the darkest blacks maybe grey is best

If you want videophile grade colors and white a white screen is best

If you want tons of punch to your image and bright maybe a high gain.

All these options are for different viewing preferences. I always recommend a standard white screen because it's a good unadulterated spot to start. Try a Model B Da-Light Cinema Vision for a couple months. I think they are really cheap (couple hundred bucks) and then if you decide you want something else... it's no big deal. you can put the model b in the closet for a back up, or sell it to someone. Or throw it away.

Try reading any of these two reviews. maybe they will help you

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=228371

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=240074

good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Murry,

I have a 7200 on a 110" firehawk and I've very pleased with the picture. I bought my screen when I had a Sharp 9000 which needed the added gain of the firehawk. My 7200 does not need the added gain, but this combo allows me to get a good picture with all the lights on in my theater which is quite nice for having friends over to watch events such as the NCAA finals in HD :).

I noticed you live in Calabasas, I'm in Sherman Oaks and you're welcome to stop by to check out my setup. PM me if you're interested.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.