AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned a lot from just reading through forums, but I'm in need of help with something that hopefully some smart linux user here can help out with

I have a cross platform setup, but the entire HTPC experience still uses windows since we are stuck with TimeWarner (copy-once) cable. I refuse to take the DVR "out" of the HTPC, so the majority of our experience goes between WMC for DVR and XBMC for other stuff. I also like having the ability to launch Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Crysis, etc from rom collection browser without trying to sort out wine/GPU-passthrough compatibility issues until my head explodes

I use a remote, but my wireless keyboard died recently. To avoid buying another one (since everything is pretty remote / xbox controller friendly) I wanted to start ripping with makemkv on the ubuntu machine. It's much easier since it's at a desk, and I thought I'd either move completed files over to the windows box or rip directly to the box. It's where most of the storage is, and it's where I started ripping media to a long time ago so I'm not looking to create a linux server or convert my collection from NTFS

That being said, I have a problem with rips that were created on the linux box. I can create, add nfos and jpgs, then move it across the network just fine, but when I go to playback the mkv I get buffering every 5-10 seconds. If I rip directly to the windows box I have the same issue. I (grudgingly) took a keyboard/mouse and sat in front of my TV to run makemkv from the windows box, and the output file played back fine. ????

My first thoughts are permissions, so I checked the file and directory permissions for the new file/folder in windows compared to my other rips, and they were the same.

On another note, a lot of automation happens from an ubuntu machine. Sab, sickbeard, headphones, couch potato all run as daemons and I've never had a problem playing back any of the files they move (during post-process) across the network. I'd never used couch to grab a large iso before, so I went to obtain a iso of the same disc I had been trying to use makemkv for previously. Took a long time (48GB) but afterwards I fired up makemkv again (linux box) and ran it on the iso file. Took output mkv, deleted iso, moved over, same problem

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I never noticed this with sickbeard episodes or couch potato releases, but they've always been pretty low bitrate. Why such a problem with large mkv files?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Interesting setup. I can't really say mine is that far off, except other than some occasional vm stuff my only linux "box" is running openelec.

That is an odd problem, and it sounds like it's only been experienced with blu-ray rips? Or dvd rips as well? Grasping at straws, but could HDD sector misalignment cause this behavior?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer  /t/1468437/cross-compatibility-issues#post_23207720

That is an odd problem, and it sounds like it's only been experienced with blu-ray rips? Or dvd rips as well? Grasping at straws, but could HDD sector misalignment cause this behavior?
Thanks

Also, never experienced this with dvd

I don't know about HDD sector alignment for sure, how would I check? If the file is copied/moved wouldn't the disk write align itself no matter the original file/disk structure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate  /t/1468437/cross-compatibility-issues#post_23207765

BLEAH, NTFS {spit}

Winduhs{spit}{spit}
Based on some of your other posts here, I had been really hoping for your input

Thanks anyway

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
lol

Linux user -> Don't use Windows

Windows user -> Don't use Linux

I guess I know Windows somewhat, not sure if I'm "capable ppl"

Maybe this should be re-posted in the general HTPC forum, but for reference do you still have all makemkv output files? If so, please run graphstudio on the mkv (working and not working) and add for comparison. graphstudio link

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Let me see if I can summarize your problem:

If you rip on the windows system playback is fine.

If you rip on the linux system and copy the file to the windows system playback has lots of pauses.

If that is accurate then here are more questions for you to help narrow the problem down:

1) If you play a problem file on the linux system does it play smoothly?

2) If you play a problem file on the windows system with a different player than xbmc - like vlc or mpc - does it play smoothly?

3) Are you using the same version and settings of makemkv on both the linux and windows systems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.