AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sure looked like the CSI show that teamed up with CSI Miami folks last year. Great LA police station eh??

A few weeks ago, the prosecutor from the old Philly show took Woody's place then disappeared. Any body know what happened there??

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Erickson
Tonights CS (4/21/03) sure looks like a spinoff show.
Yup, that's what I thought. "Woody Goes To LA"

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
That was just a weird show last night. But hey I still watched it just because it was in HD and CSI was a re-run :D

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Beautiful film/video work, many obviously thought out and setup backgrounds for scenes. I didn't know L.A. was so colorful -"Miami Vice West"? I really like the use of color in the show. Is it another "Fastlane"? "Fastlane" has overdone color also. Anyone not watching this show in HD is really missing out. NTSC can't come close color wise. I'd love to see the old "Miami Vice" shows in HD. Maybe Mark Cuban could get them.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Fastlane is supposed to have overdone color. It's an adult comic book.

As for Crossing Jordan, shouldn't a show have to be good before they make a spinoff?

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
OK, so now I challenge this:

Name TV shows where the spinoff has been better. It is easy to come up with examples where it was notbetter.

·
Registered
742 Posts
"The Jeffersons" better than "All in the Family"

"Angel" better than "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

"Just the Ten of Us" better than "Growing Pains"

"Green Acres" better than "Petticoat Junction"

"Benson" better than "Soap"

·
Registered
278 Posts
Benson better than Soap???

Jeffersons better than All in the Family???

Not a chance.

Never liked the others, so I can't comment

·
Registered
742 Posts
Both Benson and The Jeffersons had more witty humor than Soap and All in the Family. This is not to say they were not good shows it is only to say I enjoyed their spinoffs more.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Name TV shows where the spinoff has been better. It is easy to come up with examples where it was notbetter.
At the risk of veering this thread completely off-topic:
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a better show than Star Trek: The Next Generation in almost any category you'd care to name (acting, writing, direction, SF/X).
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation was a better series than its progenitor, the original Star Trek series (although TNG ended badly and stumbled at the box office).
  • Frasier was better than Cheers, at least for the middle four or five seasons.
  • Law & Order: SVU is a more compelling and dramatic series than Law & Order (although I still rank the original as "Must-See-TV"). Law & Order: CI is also a promising entry in the series, even though I don't think it's quite found its voice yet.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Obviously, this is all debatable and personal, but let me add my take anyway:

(1) All in the Family vs. Jeffersons: The latter a solid spinoff, but no way a match for the original.

(2) Buffy vs. Angel: Only because Buffy sucked at the end (according to many fans) could this even be suggested. I say no way.

(3) Just the Ten of Us vs. Growing Pains: For the comparison to be relevant, at least one of the shows needs to be good -- or at least relevant itself. Neither qualifies here.

(4) Green Acres vs. Petticoat Junction: You may have one here, even if it's, what 40 years old. I honestly have no clue or opinion.

(5) Benson vs. Soap: Soap was a breakthrough and funny. Benson was funny. Soap clearly wins.

(6) DS9 vs. TNG: Scott, TNG is my favorite episodic drama of all timne. DS9 was like watching paint dry until they got the war going.

(7) TNG vs. ST: Yes, TNG is a world better. But it's not a spinoff in the sense TV uses that word. No, Bones' appearance in "Encounter at Far Point" and the latter appearances by Scotty and Spock do not count.

(8) The best of Frasier vs. the Shelley Long Cheers' years? I say no contest, Cheers wins. The worse of Frasier vs. the end of Cheers. Both unbearable.

(9) SVU vs. L&O: I seriously find SVU unbearable. L&O is the second-longest running drama ever. 'Nuff said. [Note: I think CI does have some potential.]

Mark

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
(2) Buffy vs. Angel: Only because Buffy sucked at the end (according to many fans) could this even be suggested. I say no way.

((6) DS9 vs. TNG: Scott, TNG is my favorite episodic drama of all timne. DS9 was like watching paint dry until they got the war going.
Buffy was my favorite show on TV for the first 5 seasons. Now I can't wait for them to put it out of it's misery. Angel has surpassed it since its second season, although it too is getting a little long in the tooth (no pun intended).

I agree that DS9 was dull as dirt until the war got going, and then it went right back to form after the war was over in the final episode. Years of foreshadowing leads to Sisco bumping someone off a cliff? Yawn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.