AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe the title is confusing so let me clear it up a bit. getting ready to get a smaller 10 sub. and i'm newish to subwoofer setup.

i have recently started upgrading my system. initially it was a yamaha HTIB htr-560 to be exact. of course the speakers are raunchy but, the receiver is decent it is an yamaha htr-5830. it will be replaced later down the line when prices on the newer yamahas go down a bit. but, for now i'm dropping a few $$ in better speakers and a sub. right now we are renting a small house and and my living room where the system is located is rather small about 12 W x 20 L. so what i am doing is setting up a modest system while we save to purchase a home although in L.A. that may be awhile LOL.

i just purchased some mission bookshelfs and a mission center. now i'm onto the sub. the sub i am considering getting has a smaller footprint due to space considerations- the mirage lf-150. my issue is whether or not to use the LFE output on the receiver into the sub or not. the real problem is crossover and the fact that as far as i can tell the receiver has NO crossover controls- unless they are disguised under different names. all i can see are only small and large speaker settings, an option to set bass to-speakers, sub or both, and LFE volume control from -20 to 0db and a dynamic range setting of max, std and night. but there are no crossover settings.

the sub itself can take an array of inputs and a crossover setting BUT, if you use the LFE input you must use the crossover controls on the receiver as it renders the sub crossover useless. and since my amp doesn't have these controls i'm a tad confused.

so what would be the benefit of wiring it to the same terminals as the fronts vs. using the LFE? would it make much of a difference? or would i just be better of using the LFE out until i upgrade to a newer receiver? although that will be later on down the road this year as i'm restoring a bronco too.

thanks for any input and sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Since it lets you select large or small speakers, it should have a Xover setting. It may be fixed (probably at 90 Hz), but should still manage the bass to the LFE channel.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Small and Large settings on the receiver is the crossover control. All this really means is that your receiver has a fixed crossover. Probably 80Hz or so.

You should probably set all your speakers to small in your receivers setup. What this will do is send all the bass below your receivers crossover point to the sub.

Then disable the crossover built onto your sub's amp. This can be done with a disable switch if your sub has it. Alternatively you could disable the subwoofers crossover buy turning the knob as high as it will go usually around 120HZ. I usually do both just to make absolutely sure the sub's built in crossover is disabled.

This is just a baseline setup but works for most people especially if your using smaller bookshelf type speakers for you mains and center.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. the mirage sub crossover is disabled if you use it's LFE input. all that leaves is volume and phase. speakers are already set to small. on the receiver there is no crossover setting, i've owned it for 2 years and have learned the settings in my sleep (ex pc tech i always mess with stuff). but, you're right about 90 hz. i just reread the manual it directs everything at 90hz and below to the sub. just wondered if there was any disadvantages to not being able to adjust it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.