AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are 'n' number of posts on crossover. But I would not find my answer going through pages. So here it is.

My setup is: Energy take classic 5.1 and a HK AVR-254 receiver

Specs: Speaker / freq

Fronts / 115hz to 20khz

Center / 110hz to 20khz

Surrounds / 115hz to 20khz

Sub / 33hz to 150hz, with crossover range 40hz to 150hz

My HK AVR-254 receiver allows me to setup x-over freq for each individual speaker.

Issue at hand:

Take classic speakers manual recommeds to set it 100/120hz, which is understandable.

BUT, AVR-254 manual recommeds

- to set sub-crossover at "highest freq limit that sub can accept" - which is 150hz in my case (may be 140hz allowing for performance issues at extreme quoted freqs).

- to set all other speakers' crossover freq at lowest each speaker can take, i.e. at 115 for Sat+Rear and at 110 for center.

Question:

I am not much concerned of sat+center crossovers - I can set these at 120 (as my receiver allows 100 or 120, but not 110).

But what crossover do I setup for the Sub - 110hz (which all will agree), or at 150hz (which the AVR-254 manual suggests)? I do not think, HK receiver manual is asking to set this way without reason, so I do not want to discard that without understanding the reasons. Please suggest...

-rajdori

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure, will do that. but to understand, which of two otpions 'should' be done, based upon experts around here?

· Registered
811 Posts
This is my guess...

When the AVR manual says to set the sub cross-over to the highest it will accept, it means on the subwoofer itself, not on the receiver. This is correct because the receiver wants to handle the cross-over and doesn't want the subwoofers internal cross-over interfering.

So you set the cross-over on the receiver to whatever you'd like, say 120hz for each speaker. Set the subwoofer to its max crossover on the back of the sub. This basically means that bass

Therefore, the recommendation to set the crossover on the sub to max is simply to ensure that the sub is not cutting off any frequencies. If you sent the sub a full range frequency (20hz to 20khz) for example, then you could use the sub's crossover to limit frequencies it tries to play, but for now, you don't need it.

· Registered
450 Posts
Setting your sub crossover to 150hz isn't going to mean anything with your other speakers set to 100 and 120. The sub won't get any material higher than what the mains and surrounds are crossed over at. So basically you could set your sub to your highest crossover for your other speakers (120).

However, I think the main thing to watch out for is localization of the sub. With a crossover set that high, you may be able to hear sounds that should be coming from in front of you (or behind you) coming from wherever the sub is located instead. If you (and your audience) can't tell, then it's fine.

Usually a sub crossover of 80hz is selected because lower frequency sounds are harder for humans to locate. I think it's going to be up to your perception and probably a product of where the sub is located whether or not you are distracted by having the crossovers at 100 and 120hz.

· Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne /forum/post/16863100

Usually a sub crossover of 80hz is selected because lower frequency sounds are harder for humans to locate. I think it's going to be up to your perception and probably a product of where the sub is located whether or not you are distracted by having the crossovers at 100 and 120hz.

What you're saying is generally true, however, when you are running small satellites like the Take 5s, you have no choice. 80hz is probably way below the -3dB point of the speakers, so if he sets it too low, there will be a gap in frequency response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.