AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVS...new here. Now this question has probably been asked here hundreds of time but I'm new at the whole HT thing and don't know where else to turn. Now I don't know what to set the cut off frequency on my reciever, it goes from 80hz, 100hz, and 120hz. I have Morel SA-2 in the front left, centre and front right, and B&W FPM 2 for surrounds. I'm not 100% on this but i think they go down to 80hz. If that is the case should i set it at 80, or would 100 be smoother? I can't just go by ear cause it sounds too similar but if i just leave it at one I'm always thinking "would it sound better at _hz "? anyway any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, the *right* answer is to get a Radioshack SPL meter and a test disk and plot the in-room response to see which is better.

The page I found on the Morel SA-2 showed 80-22K +/-5dB. Based on that, you have a couple of choices - put it at 120 Hz which is probably going to give you the smoothest crossover, but will also make the bass more directional -or- set it at 80 Hz to reduce directionality, but you will likely have a significant dip right in the upper/mid-bass region. The best compromise is probably to use 100 Hz. This issue is why I don't like the really small satellites - you lose that upper/ mid-bass region, which is right where I like good punchy response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.