AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a cheap amp board (from a set of Monsoon planar speakers) which I'd like to change some of the crossover values for.

The board houses a 3 channel Philips IC which does the amplification. This board powers two planar drivers (L+R) and a mono "subwoofer". I plan to use one set (2 panels and one "sub") for each channel of my pre. This is kinda an experiment, so bear with me ;-)

The "sub" should actually be a woofer, tho. I'd like to change the crossover value a bit, so I can play with the frequency at which the crossover occurs.

It doesn't look like the crossover is done before the amplification, but there are some crossover looking structures (actually, just simple capacitors) in line with the amplifier chip's outputs. The outputs going to the electrostatic panels are in series with a larger value electrolytic cap (prob. around 10-35uf if I had to guess - it's all glued up, so I can't read). The output going to the "subwoofer" (which should actually be a woofer) is in parallel with a ceramic cap, prob

·
Registered
450 Posts
The cap's going to the L and R should be around 1000uF - these remove DC from the amp's output (and can be raised or lowered for your filter frequency; -> c=1/(6.28*f*z)

The cap's in parallel with the sub can be a low pass filter, but if they're ceramics, they're a small value and would be used for stabilization or noise reduction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.