AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, just stumbled across this forum searching the net for an answer to my question. This may be a stupid question, but...

I have built speakers before, but always from a kit or design that included a diagram of the layout of the crossover as well as a schematic. Now I'm looking to build a design that just has a schematic. I confess I've been scratching my head for the last few days and searching the net looking for any info that would direct me on how a schematic actually translates into a physical layout of a crossover.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How complicated is it? Some crossovers are VERY complex and you would need to be an expert to assemble. Most simple ones are nothing more than a simple assembly with inductors and caps. Just go the RatShack, buy some PCBs, order the right parts you need (the caps RatShack has are not good for audio), and solder 'em up using point to point wiring.

If it is a complex x-over, you may want to etch your own board. This is not hard, but requires a little more equipment and and you will be on the bottom of the learning curve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe its a 3rd Order Butterworth on both high and low. It has a Zobel and a parallel notch filter on the high pass.

Also, it doesn't show the high and low pass as one continuous circuit but separately. I confess this is pretty confusing to me as to how you take one input and run it to two different filters. Do you just wire them in parallel coming off the inputs?

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You may want to post on madisound's forum. That is where the speakerbuilders live.

But I think you are right. You are building a 2 way design? Wire the highpass to the tweeter and the lowpass to the midwoofer.

Conceptually you are taking the full range signal into the filter, and using the caps/inductors to chop off the part you don't want going to that particular driver. So highpass to tweeter, lowpass to midwoofer.

Just be sure not to mix up the polarity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Bill! Just "talking" this out made it make a lot more sense to me. I kept trying to make it into a series filter and then, writing it out, it seem somewhat obvious. Of course, I guess I could still be wrong. Wound't be the first time! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.